LOP MP at high altitude

1 hour ago, N231BN said:

That's good you are getting it all fixed. I would love to see a Savvy link for that flight if you have the capability.

I don't have anything like that....sorry

23 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I am surprised the aircraft even climbed at 10 GPH at over spec max FF! But maybe your FF isn't calibrated either. I've seen many aircraft not make power because of excessive mixture. Do you recall your TIT at full power? Glad this was your last flight with this engine, your test pilot luck could be running out! Be careful with the new engine doing ground runs and high speed taxi runs to check things out thoroughly before you commit to taking off.

no I didn't ...unfortunately.....I was focused on FF and MP plus flying the airplane....my sentiments, exactly......time to put this all to bed......I have one flight on the engine left and that's the 20 minute hop to the mechanic for the removal

I am wondering the same thing Paul seems to be, and that is whether the JPI is basically uncalibrated.  Probably you should have the A&P who installes the OH, recalibrate the JPI.  You seem to be getting some very strange readings.  Hope the new engine solves some of them.  Let us know what you find out. On the 36 GPH, just remember you do have a red knob.  The POH says 22.5-24 at full power.  I would pull the fuel flow back somewhere in that area, provided I had some trust that the fuel flow reading was accurate.

Just a guess, but if you are blowing out so much induction air that you have to firewall the throttle to make 37 inches, then you would probably hear it.  High pitched whistle or something similar.  Good luck getting it over to the mech.

Edited by jlunseth

Why wait to work on the JPI...?

I’m uncomfortable sitting in the kitchen chair 2knm away... 

If the JPI is accurate, the engine wouldn’t be able to produce proper power...

If the JPI isn’t accurate, it could be ignored... if you have a good set of primary gauges to rely on... get somebody to calibrate them...

If the JPI is close to being accurate... there is risk of the engine running in the middle of the redbox... I have seen a melted piston from a tc’d engine...  it only took minutes...

If the exhaust leaks before the turbo... typical of loose V-bands or broken welds or pipes... this is an invitation for flames and CO entering the cockpit... a 20nm flight would be too far to find out...

If the turbo isn’t working properly, study up on the restart procedure sans turbo... the K’s engine should be able to be restarted below a certain altitude...with or without the turbo working...

MP and FF accuracy are critical to making go/no go decisions prior to T/O... if I don’t get the required pair of numbers... my plan is to stop.....  if it takes days to do this or bringing in the right person... that is better than having the engine fail on departure...

If you have a JPI and don’t know how to get the data out of it... just ask.  Mr. Kortopates is the guy to go to with the data.  Which engine monitor do you have?

I probably missed something, or forgot something important along the way... :)

This is in the category of know before you go...

what did I miss?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1