Accidents happen on the ramp as well

2 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

We will have to set them up with a slingshot launcher. Props are the problem!!!!

I always figured if they used disposable rockets for launch they could sell tickets to spectators to help cover costs.

• Like 1

I have always been fascinated with JATO bottles since I saw them used on a movie where a CG plane landed in a hurricane and then used them to take back off.   I wonder if they military surplus them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

I have always been fascinated with JATO bottles since I saw them used on a movie where a CG plane landed in a hurricane and then used them to take back off.   I wonder if they military surplus them.

Uh . . . No. Pretty sure JATO rockets aren't sold to the public by the U.S. military..

2 hours ago, Yetti said:

4 minutes ago, Hank said:

Uh . . . No. Pretty sure JATO rockets aren't sold to the public by the U.S. military..

It's not that hard to make a good-sized rocket motor in a coffee can or paint can, though.   The big model rocket guys used to do it pretty routinely.   Mount a couple under the wings at the tie-down attachments and get some gnarly short-field performance.  ;) 

6 minutes ago, EricJ said:

It's not that hard to make a good-sized rocket motor in a coffee can or paint can, though.   The big model rocket guys used to do it pretty routinely.   Mount a couple under the wings at the tie-down attachments and get some gnarly short-field performance.  ;) 

It's all a matter of scale. Model rockets have several thousand less pounds thrust than a single JATO rocket.

49 minutes ago, EricJ said:

You first..... lol

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 3:07 PM, Chris from PA said:

I pulled into the ramp at Niagara Falls (KIAG) this morning and found this parked in front of me.  I didn’t see it happen but I can guess the sequence of events.  Tail numbers have been masked to protect the innocent.  Not to disparage our ‘Bo brothers but I’m glad it wasn’t a Mooney!  Be safe out there, a good day can quickly turn ugly.

CE6EBE4B-413D-4BFA-98CD-578A251EBEA5.jpeg

74D6CA0D-8774-49B3-BF23-3A33D384C7EB.jpeg

A2A47AB2-89A3-45A3-A89F-775C7CF340F9.jpeg

I bet that KA pilot will be more careful to check his rear view mirriors when showing off his reversable props next time.

14 hours ago, Yetti said:

And thank goodness - Hugh finally settled it once and for all - he went to 2000ft in his how made rocket and he SAW that he was right all along - the earth is flat.  Its settled now.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1