ADS-B Plan

I have a 430 W and as backup, King Nav Com GS and DME along with Marker Beacon.  After talking with the shop, my current plan is GTX345 to give me out and in with weather and traffic on the 430.  Any experience with this combination?  Any better suggestions?  I am understanding that adding flight stream would only add IFR flight plan download ability.

The only addition I'd make would be a tablet with either Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight.  The only thing we usually display on our GTN650 is traffic.  Occasionally I'll display waypoint info for an airport to look at the current weather.  Everything else I use the tablet.  My normal setup in Garmin Pilot is a split screen with a moving map on the left and traffic on the right.  When I'm flying an approach I change to display the approach plate on the right.

2 hours ago, MBDiagMan said:

I have a 430 W and as backup, King Nav Com GS and DME along with Marker Beacon.  After talking with the shop, my current plan is GTX345 to give me out and in with weather and traffic on the 430.  Any experience with this combination?  Any better suggestions?  I am understanding that adding flight stream would only add IFR flight plan download ability.

I would toss in a FlightStream 210 so you can get flight plan transfer capability from Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight. I don’t know how you guys without the GTN Victor airway capability do it. 

23 minutes ago, Marauder said:

I would toss in a FlightStream 210 so you can get flight plan transfer capability from Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight. I don’t know how you guys without the GTN Victor airway capability do it. 

Slowly...

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

What's a "victor airway"?? Around here, it's almost always /G Direct and "remain clear of the Bravo."

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Good thing you didn’t move to Jersey. You would have found out in a New York minute! :lol:

And I couldn't have given away the snow shovels from my house and hangar. But I made three people smile when I did--the two people who got them, and me!

• Like 2

I have an IPad with Foreflight.  I have been a Foreflight user since 2011.  I hesitate about the Flightstream, but I might give in on it.  From what you can do your monthly update through the Bluetooth, but doesn’t work for the 430/530.  The only thing it adds is uploaded flight plans, not to trivialize its value, but I will have to see how much this will add to an already hefty avionics bill.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

Good thing you didn’t move to Jersey. You would have found out in a New York minute! :lol:

Chris, when I fly up there and they give me those Jersey clearances, I've found it easiest to climb to FL450 and request direct.  Down here, Hank and I enjoy the efficiency of present position-direct.  -_-

• Like 1

I don’t have your exact setup - I have a 530 and a GDL88 with FS.  flightstream gives me weather on the iPad as well as AHRS.  I look at traffic on the 530 and weather on the FS.  Flightplan transfer is very useful too.  Lee