Holy Yikes!

7 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Its like an exam.  I'm a professor - I give exams all the time.  But I tell my students when they will be. This piloting thing is funny - you study for an exam that you have no idea when it will occur, if it will occur, and as it turns out today, it happened pretty quickly - I went from happy as a clam at 16500 going 240 to a glider in about 60 seconds. That's when the exam began.  Today I passed.  With some luck too.  Keep studying since I don't know what will be the next exam.

Yes you did. Well done sir! One less letter Alice has to write. An example for us all. BTW, this also (Rocket engine out at 16.5) to Michael Baraz a few years ago. You might touch base with him for his causation to compare. I can get you his contact info if needed, Erik

• Like 4

Eric, not sure what your plans are for getting home, but if you need a ride in the next day or two, am happy to pick you up and return you to PTD.  Now that you’re safely through this, concentrate on saving your money and focusing on whatever repairs you may need...hopefully a very small amount.

Let me know...

Steve

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skyflyer8 said:

Very glad to hear you are safely on the ground. I was one of the pilots of the regional jet that flew past your left wing as you came through 15,000 feet. Initially we were heading toward each other, but ATC vectored us out of your way. We could see you on TCAS and then very clearly see you out the window as we got closer. We could hear you talking to ATC. You may have heard me. Eventually we had to change frequencies and focus on our arrival, so I didn’t know the outcome of your flight till tonight. I kept hoping you were OK and I had a feeling you were. The controller was so helpful, and you had all that altitude and a clear sky, with a suitable airport below. I am happy to find you online and know you are safe. Great job tonight!

Kate

Hi Kate,  Thanks for finding me - are you a Mooney pilot or did you just guess your way to this forum hearing (and seeing!) that I was flying a Mooney?  I didn't see you - I was busy!  But I heard ATC talking to you.  Thank you for checking up on me!  I hope the passengers weren't treated to an abrupt scary change of course to avoid hitting lil' ol' me.  But it sounds like we were not dangerously close.  In any case, all the best!!!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

Eric, not sure what your plans are for getting home, but if you need a ride in the next day or two, am happy to pick you up and return you to PTD.  Now that you’re safely through this, concentrate on saving your money and focusing on whatever repairs you may need...hopefully a very small amount.

Let me know...

Steve

Thank you!  I might just....  I am fully on plan B right now, so it will be hours before I sort out.

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

Yes you did. Well done sir! One less letter Alice has to write. An example for us all. BTW, this also (Rocket engine out at 16.5) to Michael Baraz a few years ago. You might touch base with him for his causation to compare. I can get you his contact info if needed, Erik

Thank you Mike.

Plus I already have a co-Pilot bear.  My angel good luck charm kept me safe today.  Before I locked up last, I put him up on the cowl to look after the ol' bird.  I should have put the smoke hood on him.  Thanks co-Pilot bear.  Thanks Mike.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Seymour said:

Wow.  Erik, way to stay cool and manage through it.   Consider me in the long line of folks that are "very happy to see you" (even if only virtual and online).

"A Workman That Needeth Not to be Ashamed"

Thanks Seymour - and for looking up the "company slogan" for the university I teach at.

I'm still out of likes?!  So friends I want to like everyone but I need to go to the airport now... :-)

I am actually in a very happy very good energy mood.  The adrenaline dump is worn off and Im just feeling very happy and lucky this morning.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, aviatoreb said:

Hi Kate,  Thanks for finding me - are you a Mooney pilot or did you just guess your way to this forum hearing (and seeing!) that I was flying a Mooney?  I didn't see you - I was busy!  But I heard ATC talking to you.  Thank you for checking up on me!  I hope the passengers weren't treated to an abrupt scary change of course to avoid hitting lil' ol' me.  But it sounds like we were not dangerously close.  In any case, all the best!!!

It definitely wasn’t a last minute evasive maneuver, just a normal turn. ATC turned us, pointing out the traffic and saying “I don’t know what he’s doing,” but two seconds later he did know what you were doing, because you declared the emergency. Nope I’m not a Mooney pilot but am a flight instructor who knows someone who just purchased a Mooney. Looked your N-number up to find the airplane owner and a Google search pointed me in this direction. Creepy, yes but not as creepy as seeing your plane descending under us and having that helpless feeling wondering if you made it! I’m in PA for a few more hours sending you a virtual wave!

• Like 16

Erik - just wow! So glad you made it down safe. There is a good chance your ATC exchange may be on LiveATC. The event started around 6:42 according to FlightAware and you landed sometime close to 6:57. If you know which frequency you were on, one of us can look for it. Washington and Potomac have some of their frequencies up on LiveATC. 

• Like 1

Like every wonderful movie I have ever seen (and vicariously lived) I had shock, goose bumps, adrenaline and tears of joy.  Just a great ending to an experience we all hope we will not ever experience, but quietly wonder how we would do...

You and Bear have your answer.  Adrenaline is being human.  You nailed it Erik.  I give you a Ten teach.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@aviatoreb Great job.   I am not too far away in Erie, PA.  I can swing down and give you a lift home this evening if you want.  I’m sure you’ll have a ton of offers.    So glad that it worked out for you!

Brad

• Like 3

12 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

Then soon the airport manager drove up in his truck. He had left for the day to go home but got a call from ATC that someone was coming in dead stick. - me - He was very happy to see me. I was even happier to see him!  And I was even happier than that to see me!  Then the local fire station brigade showed up.  I shook some fire man hands and thanked them for coming.  And they said they were happy to see me!  Then the air traffic controller from Washington Approach called me on the phone to check up on me.  And I said thank you thank you to him!  

3 hours ago, skyflyer8 said:

It definitely wasn’t a last minute evasive maneuver, just a normal turn. ATC turned us, pointing out the traffic and saying “I don’t know what he’s doing,” but two seconds later he did know what you were doing, because you declared the emergency. Nope I’m not a Mooney pilot but am a flight instructor who knows someone who just purchased a Mooney. Looked your N-number up to find the airplane owner and a Google search pointed me in this direction. Creepy, yes but not as creepy as seeing your plane descending under us and having that helpless feeling wondering if you made it! I’m in PA for a few more hours sending you a virtual wave!

This is just another tangent to the great outcome of Erik's flight, the camaraderie shared among not only those who fly but those at ATC watching out for them as well as the people on the ground associated with them.

• Airport manager who dropped what he was doing to return to the airport.
  • ATC making a follow up phone call to check up on him.
  • A pilot who heard, the situation on the radio and searched online to find that all was well.

I remember as a kid living on the Air Force Academy and singing the Air Force Song at the top of my 5-7yo voice. From the 3rd verse:

"Here's a toast to the host
Of those who love the vastness of the sky,
To a friend we send a message of his brother men who fly."

• Like 6

Eric,

I saw your post last evening and didn’t get a chance to read the rest until now.  So greatful for the outcome! Congratulations on some fine airmanship.

Like everyone else here I’m curious as to the findings with the engine.

Clarence

1 hour ago, BradB said:

@aviatoreb Great job.   I am not too far away in Erie, PA.  I can swing down and give you a lift home this evening if you want.  I’m sure you’ll have a ton of offers.    So glad that it worked out for you!

Brad

Ooooh.  A jet burner ride.  Don’t take him up on that Erik.   You’ll be hooked for life.  

Tom

• Like 3

Great job Erik.   Welcome to the club.  Mine ended up being a turbo.  I can surely relate to the adrenaline rush after the event.  Probably going on the whole time but too busy to notice until out of the plane and the event is over.

Tom

• Like 1

Hi all!  Warms my heart all the nice offers and the outpouring!

so it’s the turbo / turbo is whacked - wobbly - sticks in one position. Dead turbo....

Just ordered a replacement plus some stop valves.  Overnight.

Seth is coming to get me already - for solidarity and morale support and maybe to deliver me to my business trip (delayed) 

then I will delay my return home - maybe Friday or Saturday?  So either I will rent a car and drive from chapel hill back here to pa or if someone could give me a lift back?

3 hours ago, BradB said:

Brad

Wow a jet burner?!! What are you doing fri or sat? :-)