New to M20C

cap

Hello,

I am looking at selling my 172 for a M20C (65). Just doing some exploration to make sure its a good fit for me.

im curious if there are common snags or concerns with this model. Anything I really have to look out for when buying.

thx

Welcome aboard cap. Right now, the biggest thing to look out for when buying a Mooney C is the competition from others looking to buy the same plane. ;)

In actuality, it comes down to finding the plane you like and having a Mooney-knowledgeable mechanic do a thorough PPI on it. Tubular frame corrosion and spar corrosion can be plane-killers. Leaking fuel tanks, engine issues can be costly but overcome, and there is always the search for a plane with the avionics you want so you will not put more money in the panel than in the airframe when you bought it.

Tell us about the mission you see using your Mooney to fly, and fill in a bit more on your avatar so we can possibly give some more appropriate answers based on your location.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard, Cap.

The biggest risk you have is not getting the one that best matches your needs...

Read up on pre-purchase inspections, these are pretty good ideas for all pre-owned machines...

Fill in some details in your avatar.  Hang out, ask more questions....

Best regards,

-a-

I bought my first Mooney an M20C a little over a year ago.  I got LOTS of valuable information right here on this forum.  It has already been said.  Check for corrosion, leaking tanks and general condition.  Do take time to describe your mission so we can help you ensure that the M20C fits your mission.  Also it would be helpful to you and everyone to put your general location in your profile.

Welcome to the forum.  The world of Mooney’s and the planes themselves ar fascinating.  I love my manual gear M20C.

Welcome to MooneySpace Cap.  You will find the internal search engine on MS is not the best.  Often you will get better results using Google.

Try searching "Mooneyspace pre-purchase inspection"  or "Mooneyspace prepurchase inspection"  or "Mooneyspace inspection checklist".

• Thanks 1

All good advice above.  But if possible just spend 30 minutes flying a Mooney with a qualified instructor on board - the C172 will likely be up for sale by the end of the day ;)

I bought my M20C with considerable apprehension, a fresh PPL, ~80 hrs in a Warrior, and a few more in a  C172.  I had never flown it before purchasing.  The misgivings melted away while handling the plane on the first transition flight.  

• Thanks 1

Just really looking for a step up from the 172. We are weekend fliers. However with the speed of the Mooney we would probably expand our range. Some more cross country adventures for sure. we are all 400 hour pilots VFR on 172, and PA28. The Mooney we see for sale in our area has older IFR equipment, Not sure I want to fly IFR with DME,ADF,VOR to Nav with. But it is a step up in avionics and allows us a to learn and be proficient it other flying techniques.

6 hours ago, cap said:

Hello,

I am looking at selling my 172 for a M20C (65). Just doing some exploration to make sure its a good fit for me.

im curious if there are common snags or concerns with this model. Anything I really have to look out for when buying.

thx

I have been updating my 1964C like a mad man.....spent more on it than what its worth....like some of us.

The structural corrosion can be a big deal.  Of course the whole plane should be looked over but its important that this service bulletin has been done in recent years:  SB M20-208B

If the plane was kept outside and uncovered like many people keep their planes (to save a nickel on a cover and being lazy) water can get between the window and the airframe, especially on the sides.  This water goes down the inside of the frame and can/will corrode the structural tubes.  It is not that hard to fix if its not too far gone and only costs a ton of $$ in labor.  Lots of sanding and priming painting etc.  

7 hours ago, cap said:

Hello,

thx

Search here for common Mooney snags--leaky tanks, old gear pucks, corrosion. Also typical old airplane faults.

Two common problems when steppingup from a 172 are amazement that you get so much more speed for so much less fuel,  and a sore face from the long-lasting grin on your face from flying an M20-C. I love mine!

Mooneys are just airplanes, and have the same concerns as a Skyhawk vis a vis engine, paint, interior and so forth.  They have an extra concern that is more Mooney specific, and that's the fuel tanks.  They're quite old, and most leak.  The repair to fix them is quite expensive.  If it hasn't been done on the airplane you're flying you are likely to experience leaking fuel tanks.  

Most of the M20C's have crap panels, they're old and relatively inexpensive, so few update them.  That said, you'll probably have enough left over after the sale of your Skyhawk to buy anADSB transponder and some other goodies.  What people pay for Skyhawks is unreal.

Some M20Cs have been knighted with the term ‘forever plane’...

You will see some around here that have received the treatment of being ‘the last plane I will ever own...’

If you are going to only have one plane, treat it well.  Buy things for it that you will use for a long time...

David, Jim, Oscar, Urs, Dev, Hank and others have some of the nicest M20Cs ever built...

This is off the top of my fuzzy memory...  Let me know who I missed... there are a few more around here as well....

The M20C makes a great Forever plane.  It also makes a great starting point in the ownership chain... 

There are a few M20Cs that are a second plane in the hangar...   a spare Mooney...

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

20 minutes ago, stormflyer said:

Pride of ownership!

Best M20C Panel I have seen!

There are better,,,trust me, they are on this forum...

I would like to have true airspeed and wind speed and direction but that comes at another 6-8k.

Throw in the virtual terrain or whatever they call it like some have and I would be totally broke.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Some M20Cs have been knighted with the term ‘forever plane’...

You will see some around here that have received the treatment of being ‘the last plane I will ever own...’

I bought my plane from a friend who owned it for 41 years.  All the time he thought to upgrade to something bigger or faster but the numbers never even came close to a C.  Sure you can go 200 plus knots in something else but you will most likely still be flying with one other person for the 200 dollar hamburger.  Would only make a few minutes difference at best for possibly over 100k more....."no way Jose"

Even with some of my coast to coast trips a faster plane would not make too much of a difference....I still want to stop and get out every 4 hours max......

• Like 1

Here's half of a steam gauge panel. The G430W and two Brittain units aren't in this photo. Note ten instruments to the left of the two nav heads; don't know why so many people redo their panels to have only 7 or 8 there . . . . Yes, this is the factory arrangement. 

20150522_170516.thumb.jpg.bedb987d15ff6f477855f8697463d021.jpg

Good C models rock!!

On 5/1/2018 at 9:39 AM, steingar said:

Most of the M20C's have crap panels...

Lets try this again, examining the definition of the word "most".    724388648_ScreenShot2018-05-02at9_40_07AM.png.1c3cd15b19572a744112a6e7293f8257.png

Now, if you like I can post up the definition of the word "all".  You'll see they're quite different.  Yes, members of this site have glorious panels, photos of which they show at every opportunity thus shaming those of us who've put in tens of AMUs and still have crap panels.  And you wonder why I don't show a photo of mine.  Stupid Steingar is not.

Most of the M20c's I've seen either in person or on the internet had fairly antiquated panels.  Quite unsurprising, most of the panels shown on this site easily surpass the value of the aircraft they're riding in.  They're avionics with a Mooney attached.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, steingar said:

Most of the M20c's I've seen either in person or on the internet had fairly antiquated panels.  Quite unsurprising, most of the panels shown on this site easily surpass the value of the aircraft they're riding in.  They're avionics with a Mooney attached.

The vintage Mooneys are definitely among the most efficient, fun, and economical platforms for storing ones fancy avionics collection ;).  It's actually a tribute to the timeless quality of these birds that many find it worthwhile to do these installs rather than going with a newer plane.  And the truth is I'd have been too broke to do these painfully overpriced upgrades if I'd bought a higher end airframe.  Given the low return at resale after upgrading avionics , it's unsurprising that these particular vintage birds rarely come up for sale. It's best to just enjoy them for 20-30 years so as to extract the value of ones investments.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Here's half of a steam gauge panel. The G430W and two Brittain units aren't in this photo. Note ten instruments to the left of the two nav heads; don't know why so many people redo their panels to have only 7 or 8 there . . . . Yes, this is the factory arrangement. 

20150522_170516.thumb.jpg.bedb987d15ff6f477855f8697463d021.jpg

Good C models rock!!

What are those round things? They look vaguely familiar. 

• Haha 1