Richard Collins - Flies West

Seth

I read this morning that Richard Collins passed away yesterday.   

I always learned something from his articles and his work both at Flying, Air Facts Journal, and his books.  I'm sure there's more I'll discover that he contributed to or worked on as I learn more and more.

A true aviation Legend.

-Seth

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Some years ago....too many to remember, Richard Collins' P-210 showed up at Atlanta Air salvage to be parted out.  It had flown in and looked to be in a very airworthy condition.  I asked what it was doing there.  I was told that the aircraft had over the years had gotten a lot of modifications and Mr. Collins did not want any liability if he sold it as flying.  The aircraft was parted out and I'm sure there are pieces of it still flying.

Unfortunately, I never met Mr. Collins, only his plane.

I used the Sporty’s course to train for my IFR rating, and I always felt like Dick was one of my CFIs. I still looked forward to every new article from him in Air Facts. I will miss his candor and viewpoints on the industry. Gonna go shed a tear now...

• Like 1

On 4/30/2018 at 12:23 PM, Seth said:

https://airfactsjournal.com/2013/04/the-perfect-copilot-of-many-years/

A fantastic article Richard wrote about his wife when she passed away in 2013.  I must have missed it then.  Very poignant.

-Seth

Awesome article on his wife, truly the way a partnership should be. 

I watched most of his videos over and over again. I remember sitting in the airport of La Paz, Bolivia, watching his instrument flying videos. He made me feel that there is some much to learn, but that I could do it... It is a sad day, but at least he is now with Ann his perfect copilot.

I remember hearing about, not reading but hearing about, a piece that he wrote on the Global Swift that was not very complementary. Does anyone remember anything about that, or know where one might find that article?

RIP Mr. Collins.

On 5/7/2018 at 6:44 AM, John Mininger said:

I remember hearing about, not reading but hearing about, a piece that he wrote on the Global Swift that was not very complementary. Does anyone remember anything about that, or know where one might find that article?

RIP Mr. Collins.

Look for the February 1999 issue of Flying Magazine. I believe that Richard’s On Top column is what you are looking for.