fix my PC system and upgrade to auto pilot?

The official Mooney PC troubleshooting info is found in the download files, I think the fourth from last.  I incorrectly called it a shuttle valve.  It is actually a piloted valve. What great info available on this site! Enjoy.

Edited by David Lloyd
  • Like 1

Technical challenges you might find...

1) PVC hose gets stiff over the decades... brittle even...

2) Stiff hose may not keep a good seal after a few decades...

3) Servo seals are very similar to PVC electrical tape.  Same issue... decades and heat sometimes delaminates the tape...

4) That pilot valve... has been lost so many times... people pull them out to not have to hold it down... then it gets lost...

5) people have found replacements for the act of pulling out the valve...

• One group, known as the photographers... use a 35mm plastic film canister inverted over the left horn to hold the button down...
  • The other group, known as the vegetarians ... uses a large rubber band found on a big piece of Broccoli to hold the button down...

If you are not into broccoli, just buy it with the rubber band, and toss the offending veggy....

6) Plastic tees... and other barbed fittings... plastics first became commercialized in the 60s... they didn’t improve much until the 80s... replace the 60s plastic pieces, because you can...

7) Springs in these fittings are nice... hose clamps are standard of the modern world...

8) Working with a mechanic?  These little fittings, on real plastic tubing, with long term staying power are available with compression fittings.  Standard hardware from A Spruce... this would take some additional effort.... resulting in a tiny improvement...

9) The rubber bladder... not available for a long time, then available again, then....?

10) vacuum step servo... same thing.  But, Now has an electronic servo drive available...(?). Ask Rob...

PP thoughts, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...

I have a parts catalog for Mooney M20 series.  I can see there are 3 kinds of PC systems installed: 1965 model (using a remote gyro in the fuselage, part #11900-25), then the 1966 model that appears similar but simplified, then the 1967 and on model that uses the rate of turn instrument as a source of information.

My plane is 1963 so I am guessing it is using something similar to the 1965 model.  I'll have to check what it is, I only know for sure that the rate of turn instrument that I have in the plane does not have any output signal.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My primary missing system is the TC100 for the M20F.  Bavareze, I did reply to your phone I continue to get confused on some of these posts but very informative.  I did find the pilot valve and will have to re install the unit since it was removed by prior owner and was in a box that was provided with the airplane.  I believe for the most part the PC system is passive in nature and short of some under the dash differences the larger part of the system is the same across the M20 vintage series. Once you begin to add other Brattain systems Accu flt and so on then dashboard additions and other hidden components begin to turn up.  I do have the magnetic thingy in the tail hanging from the top of the tail boom.

TC

On 4/30/2018 at 2:57 AM, bavareze said:

Hello! 

I owned this mooney for 2+ years and the PC never worked.  I guess it is disconnected.  But it is there, I can see the boots in the wings and in the tail cone.

The mechanics I asked said don't worry about that, nobody knows how to fix it anymore and it won't do much for you anyways. 

After careful evaluation I realized that within the next 5-10 years I will likely not be in the position to upgrade to a different airplane so I think it makes sense to spend some money now and use that added feature for a good 5-10 years while I have this plane (1964 M20C).

What would be a cost to overhaul the PC system and who could do it in SoCal?

What about upgrading it to a heading bug or able to fly the plan from my GNS430W?  Would that be an option?  What about a budget?

I heard that installing a conventional auto pilot with electric servos will cost me more than $10k and that is out of the question, so I'm trying to see if there is any hope with this PC system.

Thanks!

Hi, the prior owner of my a/c had his mechanic look the system over real well, but everything seemed to be working.   It turned out that the thumb disconnect switch on the yoke needed a new o-ring.  The PC system is really quite good.   I'm getting an Accutrak II installed that I bought here on MooneySpace.   I agree with comments made by others that whomever told you that the PC system is not worth repairing doesn't know what they are talking about.   It is an elegant system that is characterized by low weight, simplicity, and great functionality.  I don't know why more manufacturers didn't implement it.   Good luck.

Edited by Fred_2O
clarification/specificity

1 hour ago, Fred_2O said:

The PC system is really quite good. 

Indeed it is! A couple of years ago I was doing IFR training with a local CFI/I. After about a half-hour of flying he remarked: "Your rudder skills are excellent!"

I rarely use rudder unless I want to fly hands off.