Fit check? (Tampa area)

mizer2167

I'm a low-time pilot looking to either purchase an early Mooney or possibly locate a partnership.

Unfortunately, I'm also 6'5", about 34" inseam and have fit issues in some planes and have never been in a Mooney of any kind. All I've flown are PA28's and C172s and fit, although headroom and knee clearance on the yoke(s) is sometimes an issue without articulating seats that lower.

Is there anyone near X39, KCLW, KPIE or X05 that might let me do a quick fit check in an early model or even hitch a ride one weekend and get a feel of the controls in cruise flight?

I expect most of my flight time will be solo or with one passenger, so I'm not too concerned about a long vs. a short body.

My daughter is still young and I haven't yet been able to get the whole family to come along at one time, yet. Headroom will be the deciding factor I believe.

Try on a Mid-body:  M20F, J, or if you prefer a turbo - a M20K.  For two people and possibly a smaller 3rd or 4th - the mid-body works great for us.  I don't live near big hills (Mountains) but I prefer the higher teens and flight levels for speed so the 252 M20K fits me well.

16 hours ago, mizer2167 said:

I'm a low-time pilot looking to either purchase an early Mooney or possibly locate a partnership.

Unfortunately, I'm also 6'5", about 34" inseam and have fit issues in some planes and have never been in a Mooney of any kind. All I've flown are PA28's and C172s and fit, although headroom and knee clearance on the yoke(s) is sometimes an issue without articulating seats that lower.

Is there anyone near X39, KCLW, KPIE or X05 that might let me do a quick fit check in an early model or even hitch a ride one weekend and get a feel of the controls in cruise flight?

Go find out from our resident Yetti @Yetti He owns an F and fits fine. I think he is 6'8" and covered with white hair.  I'm 6'4", around 245 have a 36" inseam and am losing my hair (some would say "lost"). No issues fitting.

Hi Mizer,

I fit well in my J model and am 6'5" and 215#. My son fits well in the copilot side and is 6'7" and skinny (200#). Both of us are 36+ inseam pants, and the only difficulty is egress, if you are not used to getting out of a Mooney. If @Yetti chimes in, he tops both of us and flies a Mooney F.

Now, you would not want to be in the back with anybody in front of you, but I fly 4 adults (me and 3 normal height people) regularly in mine. You should fit fine.

Did someone page a large fury mythical creature?   6' 9"  250 and I fit fine. 39" inseam.   In an F (mid body) only a car seat would go into a seat behind me.   I could technically fly from the last factory seat hole.   There is a mod you can do that will add 3" (1.5" hole spacing) to the seat rail.  I am guessing you will be just fine.   Al Mooney was 6' 1"      I do have to duck down in turbulence...

You most likely will be fine I'm 6-2 and fit fine.  Head room maybe just lean the seat back some.  I think taller pi9lts fit better in the Mooney than shorter one so you are not on top of the instrument panel unless of course you get the pedal extensions.

welcome aboard

That would be great. I plan to be at KCLW this Friday flying N3003Q out of TBA.

I'm pretty much your size, but a lot of my height is in my torso. If I can just shoe-horn myself in and check if I hit my head, it would help.

Let me know the next time you plan to fly. I can make most evenings and weekends, except this Saturday morning.

Edited by mizer2167