O2 supplies for built-in systems?

I have an Aerox portable system that I use in my F when I’m at higher altitudes. I use their masks and cannulas, which aren’t all that comfortable. I’m curious what you folks with built in O2 systems use and where you get your supplies. I couldn’t imagine using the same equipment I have for more than the rare occasion when winds or weather make it appealing, or when I have friends who have a hangover and I bring them the bottle and mask. 

I use the "OxySaver" cannulas and find them ok - http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/aeroxsys7.php?clickkey=11476  . I tend to wear them with the pipes just going over my ears and headset cups with the Y piece behind me, rather than looping the pipes around my ears and the Y piece as they are normally pictured. There's no need to pull them on tight - just enough to keep them in place will be more comfortable, and have done up to 8 hours with them like this. For a mask I have the (expensive for what they are!) Mountain High Alps version (it is cheaper than the standard one!) which is ok, but not as comfortable, even more so if you have any sort of beard.

As for numbers and replacement - I keep my own cannula and mask in their own bag, and have another bag for pax with enough for all the seats and a spare of two on cannulas, and just one other mask - I can't envisage taking more than two of us up above FL180, or more than one with a condition that needs a mask rather than a cannula. The pax bag also has a "dirty" bag within it and alcohol sanitising swabs. Clean them after use, or junk it if it's disgusting - my own set I can be a little less discerning over! I guess I replace mine about annually, and normally seem to end up buying a couple a year

On 4/29/2018 at 10:51 AM, Antares said:

I have an Aerox portable system that I use in my F when I’m at higher altitudes. I use their masks and cannulas, which aren’t all that comfortable. I’m curious what you folks with built in O2 systems use and where you get your supplies. I couldn’t imagine using the same equipment I have for more than the rare occasion when winds or weather make it appealing, or when I have friends who have a hangover and I bring them the bottle and mask. 

If you're looking for more than masks/cannulas, suggest you check out Aerox if you haven't already.  http://aerox.com/

Absolutely wonderful folks to work with, and their prices are reasonable.  Depending on what you're looking for specifically, they can give proper guidance.  Let me know if this is what you're after, and if helpful.

Steve

I rarely go high with more than one or two passengers.  I have the cannulas with the little reservoir as part of the oxygen efficient system. I also have some regular cannulas and just use the non conserving mode for the occasional passenger. You can buy these in bulk for about $1 each and it is far more economical than the Aerox ones with the little reservoir and you can provide a new/disposable one to a passenger. It just uses a little more oxygen. Never been over 18k with a random passenger. Not sure about masks but the simple ones are easier to wipe down and it seems a little more sanitary to reuse these. 

I have a Precise Flight demand conserver. I'm very happy with it. I find its cannula more comfortable then the Oxy-Miser cannula and easier to clean. I replace the cannula when the tubes get stiff which takes a few years. If I took them home instead of leaving them in the hot hangar they would probably last longer, but that's an Arizona thing.

I have been looking at the Precise Flight X3 Demand Conserver but also looking at the Mountain High O2D2 conserver as well.  Anyone had experience with both and prefer one over the other?  The PF seems to be mechanical where the MH version is battery operated.  I have heard that the 02D2 can alert you if O2 stops or it senses a problem.

I am looking for a good mask right now.  I am wondering size and microphone (enabled) versions.

I have the mustache-type (oxymizer) cannual right now, the manual A-5 Flow Meter for the with connectors for the stock O2 onboard (252).  I think my set came with the cheaper style mask but not used it yet with the regular boom mike for my A20 headsets.

O2D2 is awesome. Use it with my built-in system. It’s set to automatically activate at 5000’. Easily uses 10x less oxygen than the oxysaver uses when I’ve compared them. For passengers, I use $2 cannulas from the medical supply store (ordered a pack of 10). I just cut off the end and it fits into the O2D2. 

23 minutes ago, ilovecornfields said:

O2D2 is awesome. Use it with my built-in system. It’s set to automatically activate at 5000’. Easily uses 10x less oxygen than the oxysaver uses when I’ve compared them. For passengers, I use $2 cannulas from the medical supply store (ordered a pack of 10). I just cut off the end and it fits into the O2D2. 

Where do you stash the O2D2 unit? Or do you just let it dangle from the ceiling mounts? thanks in advance

• Like 1

6 hours ago, exM20K said:

Where do you stash the O2D2 unit? Or do you just let it dangle from the ceiling mounts? thanks in advance

Reminds me of an old engineering joke about the angle of the dangle...

i forgot to take a picture today but it’s attached to the copilots cup holder with two 3m command strips. I used to have it behind the copilots seat but the CFO got tired of me elbowing her in the headset every flight.

Robert,

I have the MH and really like it.  I bought the quick disconnect too and am easily able to connect the feed line to the boom when in use. I swing the boom out of the way when not in use and stash the line in back of the seat.

Russ

• Like 1

The Mountain High O2D2 unit is great.  Really conserves Oxygen.  It is also relaxing as you can both hear and feel each puff of O2 as you inspire.  Gives positive feedback that the system is working.  On a 6 hour trip, my O2 gauge drop from about 1800 to the 1550-1600 range with me alone.  

I also have the Precise flight system but have not used it.  The O2D2 is so reliable.  Anyone have experience with the Precise Flight System v. the O2D2?

John Breda

• Like 1