IA Needed

Tampabay

Hi group, new here but not to aviation or Mooney's.... however I have lost a good friend and IA and it is time for Annual. I have a full hangar at Peter O Knight and wish to do an annual owner assist or have someone that is willing to do it in my hangar. I have jacks and willing to pay a fair price. If anyone knows of a local IA willing to do this it would be appreciated for the contact information. There are no known issues going in so it shouldn't be any problem and I am in no rush as I want to do it right of course... it's my butt in that seat! :) 

Welcome aboard, TB.

You may want to check the recent thread on Daytona Beach...?

We have an MSer, JC, that runs the place...  He has given a complete explanation of how to take a Mooney from Old to better than new.... complete with pics...

Best  regards,

-a-

4 hours ago, David Herman said:

I wonder if the guy over at Clearwater would come over?

I doubt it, Jeff is plenty busy keeping his 6 A&P's who work for him on task at his shop. No he is not a Mooney service center (I dont know why he put the logo up, other than he maintains a few on field Mooneys and has a good deal of Mooney experience)

22 hours ago, Tampabay said:

Hi group, new here but not to aviation or Mooney's.... however I have lost a good friend and IA and it is time for Annual. I have a full hangar at Peter O Knight and wish to do an annual owner assist or have someone that is willing to do it in my hangar. I have jacks and willing to pay a fair price. If anyone knows of a local IA willing to do this it would be appreciated for the contact information. There are no known issues going in so it shouldn't be any problem and I am in no rush as I want to do it right of course... it's my butt in that seat! :)

What model Mooney and what do you consider a fair price? IE, a good annual on a Bravo is quite different engine wise than a good annual on a C. You might investigate at the FBO if there is a shade tree IA willing to work at your hangar. You might also contact Bob Meier at Wimoma. He does annuals for what I have heard others getting owner assisted for. I appreciate you wanting to be involved in your annual and have all the tools like the gear tools to do it correctly, I just dont know anyone at Peter Oknight that is a competent Mooney IA.

Here's the reality check from the IA side of the fence-

It's getting much harder to get an IA simply because so many are retiring, and there are fewer young people getting into the business. And if you want a really good IA, and one who knows your brand airplane, and will come to you....you are looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack. In Florida, with a population of 19 million, you are talking about an IA pool of only a few dozen people. 

Many of the IA's I see at the renewal meetings have gravitated towards corporate work, or other aircraft whose owner's are not CB's. Just the facts. It's only going to get worse over the next decade.

• 1 month later...

Well finally i have found an IA and yes I like him and he is familiar with how a Mooney ticks. No C-17's landing on Peter O Knight recently, did see one line up but pulled up way out and went on to MacDill... LOl...  I have had good experience and also very bad experience with taking a plane into the shop. Either I was gouged or it had taken an overly long time to accomplish an annual with no squawks or replacements needed. Besides once found I have told others and they are seeking his services.

I understand that this day and age IA that is willing to travel a little is hard to find. But just ten years ago this was the norm if one had the proper equipment already in place. I had inspections in my hangar since I messed up and bought my first drug, er, airplane... (is there a difference?). From radial engines to turbines they have all become good friends but as someone pointed out, they are retiring and now reaching 61 myself I see more and more retiring.

• 3 weeks later...

My IA is in his 70s I worry when he decides not to do this anymore. I'm always on the lookout for a new one because I know the day will come when he hangs up his tools.

I do all the wrench turning he only doe the inspection and supervises the work and sign off on squawks.

Guest tommy123

A airplane that I don’t have to open or close all those panels, annual is $750, Naples area. I don’t read the pms, fyitaf@gmail.com

40 years experience, rebuilt two Mooneys from piles of parts.

• 4 weeks later...