Fixed Gear M20D on eBay

2 of the 3 left are here on MS, although not too terribly active.

@Sven has a very nice 1963 model, N6630U
This one is also a 1963, N6651U, but in not as great condition
The last, and rarest is @ronmacewen's 1964 model, N1916Y, which is the only one with a fixed pitch prop and excellent panel. They were asking not much more than this, for a much much MUCH nicer panel.

Coincidentally, I just happened to randomly sit down next to a him at a pancake breakfast in Arcadia, FL a year or two ago and we got talking about airplanes. I mentioned I had a Mooney, as did they. They mentioned they were selling theirs, and it was rare fixed gear model. Process of elimination was easy: "Oh! You have N1916Y!". They were impressed I was familiar with their plane. I went out and showed them my converted model. Great people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, BDPetersen said:

Wonder what the conversion would cost these days. I recall it being around $1500 back when new. I doubt that included the prop.

Can it even be done anymore? Certainly not at the factory . . . .

10 hours ago, BDPetersen said:

Wonder what the conversion would cost these days. I recall it being around $1500 back when new. I doubt that included the prop.

If you want one that has been converted, buy a 'c or a converted d.  Don't convert one of the three remaining 'd's...

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 5:24 AM, Raptor05121 said:

Sven has a very nice 1963 model, N6630U
This one is also a 1963, N6651U, but in not as great condition
The other is 1964 model, N1916Y, which is the only one with a fixed pitch prop and excellent panel. They were asking not much more than this, for a much much MUCH nicer panel.

Coincidentally, I sat down next to a gentleman and woman at a pancake breakfast in Arcadia, FL a year or two ago and we got talking about airplanes. I mentioned I had a Mooney, as did they. They mentioned they were selling theirs, and it was rare fixed gear model. Process of elimination was easy: "Oh! You have N1916Y!". They were impressed I was familiar with their plane. I went out and showed them my converted model. Great people.

That has to be one of the coolest stories I've heard here so far!

On 4/30/2018 at 3:02 PM, AlexLev said:

Just out of curiosity - why would anyone buy this?

Originally or now?

Originally in 1963, it was designed as a trainer. It's basically a -C model, minus the dorsal fin, the PC wing leveler, and hat rack. Fixed pitch prop and landing gear for $13,995. Constant speed was optional. It was marketed against the Cherokee 180. Same systems, same engine. Yet faster. You get a couple hundred hours in it (along with the cheaper insurance) and when you are ready to go faster, you have Mooney convert it for $1,500. OR you could buy a C off the shelf for $19,995 IIRC. I know a few examples were ordered with the constant-speed AND retraction gear in place from the factory, simply because its now a C model for $15.5k versus $20k.

Nowaways, you'd buy one for the rarity of it. Or still, if you want a faster Cherokee 180. :D

• Like 2