Daytona Beach Aircraft Services

Late last year I decided to redo my panel in my 1964 Mooney M20C.  Although there are two fine places in NJ for Mooney’s I have to keep my plane near palm trees for the winter months.  So my choice was to either fly back to Van Nuys or head back to Florida. Florida just seemed like an easier trip from NJ.  

I researched on mooneyspace about avionics shops in Florida and several people said positive things about Daytona Beach Aircraft Services. They just happened to be a Mooney Service Center and I needed my annual and some other stuff done as well.  One stop shopping sounded great to me.  

I exchanged many emails with John their avionics guy and Jake the person who runs the shop.  On a very short notice they said bring it down and although they can’t promise it could get in right away that I could keep it on the ramp out of the NJ cold.

Within a week my plane was taken into the hangar and things started happening.  I asked Jake for a very specific layout and he and his crew delivered 100% of what I wanted.  It was such a great experience I kept adding things for them to do and all was taken care of.  I got to see the layout of my panel beforehand via some fancy software.

The actual work was done by many in the shop.  John who runs the avionics side had Todd their master electrician do the install and most of the wiring.  Many others in the shop worked on stuff as well and treated my old Mooney as if it were a late model Jet.  I could not believe the respect they gave it.  I also could not believe how Jake got the Garmin G5s flush mounted with such limited space. This is not easy to do in an M20C.  A lot of custom fabrication took place.

The experience of these people is truly noteworthy.  All have been in the business for years and been there and done that.  I spoke to some of the new hires and although new to the company many have served in the military working on airplanes or came from other reputable shops.  

The hangar is amazingly clean and well organized.  Every part taken off your plane has a place and nothing is cramped on top of each other and mixed up with another planes parts like you see in other shops.  I honestly do not know if I have ever seen a shop like this.  I worked for many jet operators for almost all my career and none of the Gulfstream places I have seen are this nice.  Your plane will be in good hands here and they work on Jets to Cessna 150’s all with the same level of professionalism.  They also have an extensive parts department and a large space dedicated to avionics trouble shooting and repair.

Your first contact will probably be with Sara who is the go to person in the office.  She also does all the logbooks and book keeping.  My log write-ups look better than any other shop this plane has been to.  All the billing was correct and I feel like I am talking with family when I am in there. 

Curt the owner and Jake, John, Todd and the rest of the employees are some of the finest around. 

I was hesitant to have such a large project done without me being present but I can say that with constant updates and pictures always being sent to me that Daytona Aircraft Services should be on your very short list of places to consider.  

The final work order: Two Garmin G5s, GTN 650, GTR225, GTX345, FlightStream 510, JPI900, landing gear shocks and many other items.  Oh and the post work experience has been just as pleasant.  Stuff like how to customize the G5s and GTN for my liking and Todd even has been up with me to show me how it all works and to adjust some software settings etc.  Not many mechanics will fly in planes they work on.  Always seems to be an excuse with other companies.

I can’t say enough good things about this place or my experience.  Even if you do not have a Mooney, they work on all airplanes big and small, give them a try.

IMG_8073.jpg

IMG_8074.jpg

IMG_8174.jpg

IMG_8176.jpg

IMG_8177.jpg

IMG_8178.jpg

IMG_8186.jpg

IMG_8187.jpg

IMG_8373.jpg

IMG_8374.jpg

IMG_8381.jpg

IMG_8376.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Nice, but 1 question, all that fancy electronics but you couldn’t spring for a new clock:lol:

Apparently Jim thiught there was enkugh digitalization going on. Besides, I prefer clocks with hands.

5 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Very nice panel, only one comment.  In your fifth picture they have routed the JPI wires with the ignition wires, something JPI says you shouldn’t do.

Clarence

You are correct, someone didn’t read the install manual, pg 8 from my 900 installation guide:

The probe wires must not be tied in with ignition, alternator or engine cabin heater ignition wires because of potential interference with temperature readings.

6 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Nice, but 1 question, all that fancy electronics but you couldn’t spring for a new clock:lol:

I am waiting for davtron to approve a specific clock I want....it will fit in the same hole....until then I will go with what works....

2 hours ago, teejayevans said:

because of potential interference with temperature readings.

Everything works 100%.....I am not a mechanic but "One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" John 9:25

maybe they used some extra shielding.....

• Haha 1

Jake and his team at Daytona Aircraft services have built a fantastic reputation here in Florida in both avionics and maintenance. Jake once again has agreed to donate an annual inspection to the Mooney Summit's silent auction this year. Thanks @jclemens You deserve the fine praises you and your team are getting here!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Everything works 100%.....I am not a mechanic but "One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" John 9:25

maybe they used some extra shielding.....

This is a certified replacement of your factory gauges, I’m pretty sure FAA would not be happy with APs not following factory installation manual. And if you develop a problem, JPI is rightly going to tell you go fix your installation. 

I’d call Jake and ask him to fix it. 

19 hours ago, teejayevans said:

This is a certified replacement of your factory gauges, I’m pretty sure FAA would not be happy with APs not following factory installation manual. And if you develop a problem, JPI is rightly going to tell you go fix your installation. 

I’d call Jake and ask him to fix it. 

Please feel free to enclose a picture of your installation. 

45 minutes ago, jclemens said:

Boy, you guys are tough here on Mooneyspace....

Wow that looks awesome !!!!!  Cant wait to take it to Key West next week.....I wish I had it here in Honolulu....next project, ferry tanks......see if I can break my 12.5 hour single engine non-stop record. 

6 hours ago, N601RX said:

This looks like an open hole in the exhaust from a previous egt probe

FE63405D-E74C-4C67-BEFF-8552E96DFB19.jpeg

Or a vent hole from welding on the doubler plate.

Clarence

You guys are so critical. This is why when it comes time to sell I will never ever put this plane on mooneyspace.  

Whats next, telling me there is a paint chip on the fuel filler cap?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

You guys are so critical. This is why when it comes time to sell I will never ever put this plane on mooneyspace.  

I’m betting you’re regretting starting this thread :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jim Peace said:

Would you post a picture of the caps so we can offer an opinion and a recommendation?

Clarence