Vne adjusted for altitude?

MIm20c

An example of me flying around in my M20C... (a decade ago)

Climb out of NJ, over NYC, Headed for MA... and return...

Alts 12,500’, 11,500’

Speeds...

Climb: 120mias Keeping CHTs under control... maxing climb rate...

Cruise: 150mias? Whatever you can get in smooth air.... near WOT, pulled back enough to not employ the extra fuel nozzle... 19 or so “MP... maxing cruise speed, minimizing fuel burn...

Descent: staying below Vne descending about 400fpm... near WOT... Throttle starts being pulled back... as slowing is required for the maneuvering speed near the ground...  about 3k’ around here, the air starts getting bumpy on normal days. 5k’ on windy days...

At altitude, I tend to fly straight and level... in smooth air...

Flying at 15k’, I did once. Actually 14,500’

1) I used redline as a guidance during descent... in smooth air...

2) I used the yellow arc as a guidance during level flight (or on descent) with bumpy air (closer to the ground).

3) I had NYC Class B to descend over.  This kept me higher than desired.

4) Descending full throttle, staying below redline in smooth air... was the general rule of thumb... adjusting the descent rate to avoid going above the redline...

5) With the O, all the numbers get bigger and they are expressed in Kias instead of Mias...

6) These are typical limitations to each segment of flight for a pilot and airplane... your limitations may be different.

7) I wasn’t trained in using TAS for setting limitations. (At least not that I can recall). Using TAS is a bit odd, as it would require manual adjustment of the instrument for OAT all the time...   lots of human error with that... lots of OAT inaccuracy with that...

pp thoughts only.   Let me know if I have made a mistake.

A great document that can be read for these kinds of things is written by MAPA.  It is a handout that you get with the PPP course...

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...

I saw mand heard an RC Sukhoi aerobatic aircraft lose it's tail to flutter on it's maiden flight.  You could hear the flutter above the internat combustion engine... and then things went quiet until the model slammed into the earth.

poor elevator control mounting was the cause... i believe it had a pull-pull cable system on the elevator.

around 10k in the summer, TAS is about 20kts higher than IAS, so I just figure my VNE is about 180mph at 10k instead of 200, and I typically don't go higher than that in the summer.  I typically descend in the upper green range and try to slow up a little more below 6000 for unexpected turbulence.  

On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:56 PM, 320KPH said:

I saw mand heard an RC Sukhoi aerobatic aircraft lose it's tail to flutter on it's maiden flight.  You could hear the flutter above the internat combustion engine... and then things went quiet until the model slammed into the earth.

poor elevator control mounting was the cause... i believe it had a pull-pull cable system on the elevator.

I'm pretty sure aerodynamic flutter has more to do with the frequency of wind eddies coming off the stabilizer when it resonates with the inherent frequency of the stabilizer itself.  If they thought it was related to the elevator, then it could be all sorts of different things like oscillation from excessive play.  Not an aeronautical engineer, tho.

Luckily (or unluckily), aerodynamic effects don't translate well with scale.

Contrary to some of the comments listed here, the aircraft cares about IAS.  IAS is a measure of the dynamic pressure felt on the aircraft surfaces, which is what they care about.  So in the equations for lift and drag, hence Force on the airframe surfaces, it is dynamic pressure which matters.  For incompressible flow (low Mach number) this can be expressed as 1/2 * density * velocity * velocity.  When we pilots talk about "True airspeed" it is the velocity in the equation that we are referring to.  The reason true airspeed and IAS differ is when density is not standard density (29.92 in Hg, 59 deg Fahrenheit).  

Remember, the airspeed indicator is telling us essentially, DYNAMIC PRESSURE.  So regardless of altitude or outside air temperature, if you exceed Vne you have become a test pilot!!