Make your own Placards?

MisfitSELF

I have a silly question:  can I make my own placards?  I have a few missing or faded placards around my aircraft and I'm thinking about getting a label machine to handle some of them (like the nose tire inflation psi).  Any legal or "airworthiness" issues with doing this?

Bruce

6 hours ago, Hank said:

My A&P wrote the tire pressure in black sharpie on each wheel by the valve. Personally, I find it easy to remember, 30 psi on each. But it's the only plane I take care of . . . .

What about 49 on the nose? At least mine is 49

10 minutes ago, Hank said:

F & J, yes; E, I dunno; Cs are 30, 30, 30--you have that heavy fuel injection system!  :P

M20Es get 30 psi all around as well. I think the added length and weight of the F/J puts more weight on the nose wheel. I don't know about the G which did not get the gross weight bump, in fact I think it went down to 2525 or 2550 from 2575.

So I got one of those P-touch label makers and it seems to work great.  I made a nose tire inflation placard and stuck inside the nose gear doors and I I flew a couple of hours with it (granted only a few minutes with the gear down...).

A pile on question:  I've made placards for my baggage door instructions for AD 88-25-11 (SB M20-239) but I used three separate labels vs one decal (pictured).  Any issue with having 3 separate placards with the same content?

Bruce

Placards.jpg

Duncan aviation in Lincoln NE using a silk screening process that is very fast and looks great. I picked up a $200,000. paint job they did for a Gulfstream 550 and they missed placards all over that airplane. It only took a few hours and like i said the silk screening placards look great. (should for 200k) I am going to look into how to do this on my m20k.

3 hours ago, MisfitSELF said:

So I got one of those P-touch label makers and it seems to work great.  I made a nose tire inflation placard and stuck inside the nose gear doors and I I flew a couple of hours with it (granted only a few minutes with the gear down...).

A pile on question:  I've made placards for my baggage door instructions for AD 88-25-11 (SB M20-239) but I used three separate labels vs one decal (pictured).  Any issue with having 3 separate placards with the same content?

Bruce

Placards.jpg

As long as the verbiage is all there, you're good.

I used P-touch placards in mine and they stick and look really good.  I used a very sharp pair of scissors and trimmed them right next too the lettering, they almost look silk-screened.

I think if you trimmed yours right next to the black line, you'll be very happy with the result.