WTB Stormscope or Strike Finder

26 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

Does anyone have a good working Stormscope or Strike Finder they don't need any more?  I'm seeing several on eBay but would rather buy from somebody I can trust here in MS.

-Fred

Check with Aerodon on what he has. I purchased a pre-owned WX-500 from him and am very pleased with it.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 11:32 PM, Pritch said:

I have a WX 10a that I just pulled out before installing a GTN750,

Pritch

Thanks for writing.  Where was the remote processor installed in your M20?   Was it functioning well when removed?  I might be interested...

On 4/27/2018 at 8:14 PM, Fred_2O said:

Does anyone have a good working Stormscope or Strike Finder they don't need any more?  I'm seeing several on eBay but would rather buy from somebody I can trust here in MS.

-Fred

I have a WX 900 Series II.

10 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Thanks for writing.  Where was the remote processor installed in your M20?   Was it functioning well when removed?  I might be interested...

I was working when removed, but would recommend it be checked out.  The processor was located in the tail next to the battery.

Pritch

42 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

In my Mooney I have a WX-1000_ which works very well, but if I was going to spend any money installing a stormscope I would find a good WX-500. It will display on any of the modern displays.

I absolutely agree. The WX-500 I have displays on both of my Aspen, the GTN 650 and the L-3 9000. 

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

In my Mooney I have a WX-1000+ which works very well, but if I was going to spend any money installing a stormscope I would find a good WX-500. It will display on any of the modern displays.

I absolutely disagree. I think it’s a handicap and a disadvantage to clutter up the MFD unnecessarily. If panel real estate is not an issue most people including myself prefer to display stormscope data separately on its own display. 

11 minutes ago, PTK said:

I absolutely disagree. I think it’s a handicap and a disadvantage to clutter up the MFD. If panel real estate is not an issue most people including myself prefer to display stormscope data separately on its own display. 

You don't have to display it all the time, only when you need it, so clutter is not an issue. How much better it is to see where the strikes are in relation to possible airports to land and wait out the storm rather than looking at dots on a green screen, which is also what I am still using. I have owned a WX-500 on an Ovation I had and it is so much better, no comparison. What often goes bad on the stand alone stormscope is the display. The reliability of the MFD screen is much better that the ancient CRT screen technology. They are both useful. But having owned airplanes with WX-1000+, WX-950 and WX-500, if I was to spend money on a new installation I would spend it on current technology, the WX-500. The repair costs of the older units rival the new cost of a WX-500.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, PTK said:

I absolutely disagree. I think it’s a handicap and a disadvantage to clutter up the MFD unnecessarily. If panel real estate is not an issue most people including myself prefer to display stormscope data separately on its own display. 

TIme for a tutorial on MFDs Peter. The WX-500 display can be a dedicated display, but it also can be configured as an overlay.

Here is a picture of the WX-500 as a standalone display:

98440A23-0C78-4C1A-8A54-77CE172B8C2F.thumb.jpeg.80a1f58e5b648701963f9d18c098304b.jpeg

Or it can be a separate mini display like this one (this one shows traffic but it can be the StormScope):

827A2D68-06F0-4006-8491-06858D499470.thumb.jpeg.69eaa98f20de8ca1880dcfba6f380ff5.jpeg

Or it can be run as an overlay to the MFD (or PFD) navigation map. I find this one very useful for the big picture while flying. In the lower left hand corner you can see the rate counter for any activity:

AA5C873C-6D92-49C6-AEE3-FD3DF1EDAE9D.thumb.jpeg.82be940f7168caba9d0873f4c263dae4.jpeg

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

But that's shown on old Aspen technology!! Peter won't respect it unless you put it up on my fine, fancy GNS430W . . . . .   :lol:

You’re right Hank. How insensitive of me. Here it is displayed on a Garmin.

088F949C-35EF-4BA2-A643-8CA629ADD228.thumb.jpeg.124fbe2453fb04a63898359a4b6b0f3b.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, PTK said:

It's not a problem as far as cluttering...the g500 has it's own dedicated screen which I never use much...the little yellow xs are barely noticeable on the other nav displays...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fred_2O said:

Yes, thanks everyone.  @Marauder it seems that the WX-500 is really versatile.  Nice pictures.

Whichever direction you go with a StormScope, just make sure it has heading integration. Although I clear the screen frequently, if you make a turn a heading coupled StromScope will always keep the storm in the correct orientation to your plane. 

In this picture you can see the heading indicated on the L-3 9000’s depiction (159°):

7702F8AE-AFE9-49D0-9247-8F46F03A5087.thumb.jpeg.7c47e39333870a49a6723036de971ffe.jpeg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marauder said:

Whichever direction you go with a StormScope, just make sure it has heading integration.

I think that narrows it down to the WX950, WX1000+ or the WX500. Maurader, did you have to buy an ACU2 for the Aspen to get heading to the WX500?

I have an insight 2000 strikefinder just removed for an upgrade. One of my favorite units and worked flawlessly up to time of removal, so much so that I almost wanted to keep it.

Heres a link to some pictures of it. Send me a PM if interested

I just picked up a used Insight strikefinder from @flumag.   Super easy installation and works well.  I do not have heading at this point because I don't have anything that will output an XYZ sunchro- but it will get getting from most traditional HSIs. 

Of note, a G5 HSI will pass through heading to a Wx-500 over RS-232.  This was my first choice for weather avoidance; however, I had run out of RS-232 ports on my GNS. 

For now the SF-2000 will work for my needs - essentially longer range avoidance.  It's like a screening test - more sensitive than specific.  It will show strikes in building cumulus long before meaningful precipitation starts falling but this is a good thing - I want to avoid those clouds just as much as those dumping precipitation in the summer.  It can also be useful to indicate *relative* safe passage - ie a rainshower without much vertical buildup and no convective activity won't show strikes. 

A strikefinder of some sort is useful equipment for strategic avoidance.  I think most would agree that only eyes and radar can provide tactical avoidance.  However, real time something along with improvements in nexrad lag, and new products such as lightning strikes on ADS-B will hopefully keep non-radar equipped pilots out of the dangerous stuff.

21 hours ago, Marauder said:

You’re right Hank. How insensitive of me. Here it is displayed on a Garmin.

088F949C-35EF-4BA2-A643-8CA629ADD228.thumb.jpeg.124fbe2453fb04a63898359a4b6b0f3b.jpeg

I'm considering all these issues for an install late this year.  Does anyone here display the Wx500 on the HSI of a single panel Aspen PFD?  If so, how do they like it?  Also can it possibly be overlaid on the Garmin GTN650 moving map screen?    The GTN650 display for it looks really beautiful, but with only one of those units in my panel, it may not be the best use of screen real estate.  An alternative would be a dedicated display with a Wx950 or Wx1000.  I have the panel space for it, but the Wx500 has appeal as the newest, lightest, and perhaps best supported unit.  

3 hours ago, DXB said:

I'm considering all these issues for an install late this year.  Does anyone here display the Wx500 on the HSI of a single panel Aspen PFD?  If so, how do they like it?  Also can it possibly be overlaid on the Garmin GTN650 moving map screen?    The GTN650 display for it looks really beautiful, but with only one of those units in my panel, it may not be the best use of screen real estate.  An alternative would be a dedicated display with a Wx950 or Wx1000.  I have the panel space for it, but the Wx500 has appeal as the newest, lightest, and perhaps best supported unit.  

Hey Dev. I am headed out to the airport tonight and will snap a picture or 2 of the PFD. I have weather and traffic overlaid on the HSI and it is okay in the 360 degree HSI mode but looks a lot better in the arc mode. Let me get you a couple of pictures and you can decide.

• Like 1