ISO Sidewinder towbar

1 hour ago, DaV8or said:

Sadly, my back appreciates my Sidewinder too. No sale. Good luck on the search though. It is an awesome machine!

I know, I dragged my feet on one last year thinking they wanted to much for it and kick myself every time I struggle pushing my plane back in it’s home up hill.

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

We need some MS group buying special pricing...  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I am a dealer for this product and could probably get decent pricing if there are five or so who want one.  PM me if you're interested.

-dan

• Like 4

Dan,

The biggest sticking point I have...  

• I feel the need to test it with my plane going into my uphill (sort of) hangar.

Do you have a way for your customers to try before they buy?  The towbar is nicely built...

I have the redline tow bar for my tractor.  The tractor adds a whole new level of PIA to my last 10’ of the 200nm trip...

Best regards,

-a-

1 hour ago, carusoam said:

Dan,

The biggest sticking point I have...  

• I feel the need to test it with my plane going into my uphill (sort of) hangar.

Do you have a way for your customers to try before they buy?  The towbar is nicely built...

I have the redline tow bar for my tractor.  The tractor adds a whole new level of PIA to my last 10’ of the 200nm trip...

Best regards,

-a-

I haven't used the product on a heavy mooney, but it works great on the DA42, which has a 4400# MTOM and little, itty bitty wheels.  There is no perfect solution for every application, and where the sidewinder doesn't work great is:

• snowy ramp (snow gets compacted between the roller and the nose gear
  • long distance tows - just lack of battery life.

However, it has saved me twice in a DA42 when I taxied into a dead end.  that plane is even more difficult to move solo by hand than a long body mooney.

Quality of manufacture and components is top notch.

-dan

ps: my current dream setup:

1. Best Tugs Bravo with a turntable for in/out of the hangar
  2. Tractor for long distance tug (forward only)
  3. Sidewinder for precise maneuvering when using tractor and for taking on the road
  4. a M20TN with enough useful load to bring the sidewinder and more than two people :0)

Edited by exM20K

Dan,

My test example...

1) empty Long Body, including empty fuel tanks...  I can barely push by hand, solo, up into the hangar... I have enough strength to bench press my own body weight... a standard pilot weight.

2) 50gallons in the tanks... I can no longer push by hand, solo, up into the hangar...

3) dragging to the maintenance hangar would be nice, but that is a once per year event that I can taxi to, usually...

4) I can probably tell how much fuel is in the tanks, by how far I can push the whole thing up hill....

I expect the device will work... but, what would I do if it doesn’t?

The price is just to much to not have it work where I need it to.  The financial administrator would have no room for bad mechanical choices lying around the hangar or garage or house or... :)

Got one I can borrow?  Want to bring one to a Mooney fly in?

Best regards,

-a-

I guess I’m a CAMO (cheap ass Mooney owner) but I finally got tired of pushing my plane up hill into the hangar. I bought a 110 volt winch from Harbor Freight, bolted it to the back of the hangar, spliced in a thirty foot extension to the remote control, and it works great. I do have to somewhat align the plane to the hangar door but that is pretty easy to do. Well Under $200 for the whole set up.

Edited by nels

3 minutes ago, nels said:

I bought a 110 volt wench from Harbor Freight, bolted it to the back of the hangar, spliced in a thirty foot extension to the remote control, and it works great. I do have to somewhat align the plane to the hangar door but that is pretty easy to do. Well Under $200 for the whole set up.

Bolt her to the back of the hangar?  For $200?

79842FC0-7E5E-436B-8516-1FC6E84D1E78.jpeg

I use the Sidewinder in the Boston area where it can be wet and snowy.  I can say that it is definitely the best of the electric towbars.  It works better than the Robotow.  It can be folded to take on the road.  It has plenty of torque so I would not hesitate to buy one with the expectation that it will work.  I still have a gas 

Powertow but have never used it given that the Sidewinder is so easy to use and reliable.  I would not use it to move the airplane from one end of the airport to another.  I might do that with the power tow but the need has never come up.

John Breda

• Like 2

On 4/28/2018 at 12:26 PM, nels said:

I guess I’m a CAMO (cheap ass Mooney owner) but I finally got tired of pushing my plane up hill into the hangar. I bought a 110 volt winch from Harbor Freight, bolted it to the back of the hangar, spliced in a thirty foot extension to the remote control, and it works great. I do have to somewhat align the plane to the hangar door but that is pretty easy to do. Well Under $200 for the whole set up.

This is exactly what I'd do but the city is skittish about allowing any permanent mounting of anything to the floor or walls of their hangars.   And they inspect.   :(

On 4/28/2018 at 11:55 AM, carusoam said:

I expect the device will work... but, what would I do if it doesn’t?

Anthony, can you give me any data on the grade going into your hangar? % grade or inches per foot? I have a Sidewinder for my TLS, and varying grades around the airport. I may be able to run some test cases for you. Happy to help.

Cheers,
Rick

• Like 1

Hey Rick,

Center line of the taxi way to my hangar is about 40’.

Over this run the elevation change is about a foot or two... the second foot of elevation is in the last 10’ or so...

That’s when I realized... How strong I would need to be to raise a 3,000 # block of aluminum one foot, by myself...  :)

My hangar lip is only 1/4”.  my newly honed muscles can push over that pretty well...

Thanks for your ideas...

I was reviewing the tech details with PaulM the other day...

Looks like the Sidewinder is going to work...

If you are able to run the Bravo up a hill, I look forward to your successful hill details...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

7 hours ago, carusoam said:

Hey Rick,

Center line of the taxi way to my hangar is about 40’.

Over this run the elevation change is about a foot or two... the second foot of elevation is in the last 10’ or so...

That’s when I realized... How strong I would need to be to raise a 3,000 # block of aluminum one foot, by myself...  :)

My hangar lip is only 1/4”.  my newly honed muscles can push over that pretty well...

Thanks for your ideas...

I was reviewing the tech details with PaulM the other day...

Looks like the Sidewinder is going to work...

If you are able to run the Bravo up a hill, I look forward to your successful hill details...   :)

Best regards,

-a-

Does that mean we are up to three sidewinders for @exM20K?:)

Let's make that four sidewinders (depending on the cost).

Disregard bought a used Nose-Wheel Dragger today from a buddy for cheap.  It's the Skyline Aviation model. I wish you guys luck on this venture. Turns out I need a new ELT and some other stuff so no new fancy electronic tow bar for me this year. I'll see how this gas powered one works out for me.

Edited by Paul - M20C

Any of you guys that actually do end up getting a Sidewinder, I suggest you do this mod I came up with. Remove the Allen bolt that is in the clamp that secures the drill motor to the drive tube and replace it with a handle screw and a bushing. These things are available from places industrial supply places like McMaster Carr. This allows you to remove drill portion super fast and without need of any tools. To make it work, you do need to drill, tap and install a little set screw to keep the locking collar permanently  attached to the drive tube. See photos below-

Sidewinder-Mod.jpg

Sidewinder.jpg

Sidewinder-Breakdown.jpg

Edited by DaV8or
Added information.
  • Thanks 2