Slight gas smell

Danb

Follow your nose - you can determine which side it may be coming from.  Best to take down the kick panels on either side.  Determine whether sender has blue dye / evidence of leak.  Smell down the forward wing root where the wingtip wiring comes in.  Leaks on inspection panels and seams can end up there.  Smell around fuel selector.  Old o rings contribute.  Ensure no fuel leaking on the firewall or instrument site of your fuel pressure gauge. 

12 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

Is this something new Dan? I have a pretty sensitive smeller and I don't recall noticing. I agree with Mike that I'd check the senders behind the sidewall below the door and in the same position on the pilot side.

IMG_20160628_120953542.jpg

Yeah I started to notice it recently

• Like 1

RG,  

Not uncommon, but not right either...

There aren’t fuel aromas that are emitted as part of normal operations...

When a new aroma appears, it is best to find the source... new equals changing...

on the other hand, if you are in the camp of old planes smell...  my old plane had so much wear and tear and age... everything had leaks... old seals, old fuel hose connectors, enough the carpet was turning blue under my kids feet...

I bought the plane that way, so it seemed normal... it isn’t normal. :)

Great pics, Bob!  Seal and fuel hose in one!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

I guess it depends on how much "right" bothers you. Most Mooneys have some amount of trivial fuel ooze and fuel perfume is intentionally very strong in small amounts. The Mooney maintenance manual gets into much more detail about how much is cause for concern. 

-Robert