RAJAY Turbos And Compatible Props

I'm interested to know if anyone found any new style props for their RAJAY Turbonormalized aircraft.  Does the RAJAY STC limit your prop options as an aircraft owner? Any owners find alternatives and can you provide any feedback?

Thanks!

Tom

I have a HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 installed on mine by Maxwell.  I recall hearing somebody on the forums who mentioned to Hartzell they had a rayjay installed when they wanted to order and Hartezell balked at them.  The STC doesn't indicate any prop change or limitations related to it so far as I can tell any propeller approved for a Mooney is acceptable.

Since the turbonormalizer allows the engine to supply the same power for a longer period of time into the climb, or in level flight...

The engine has been certified with its prop... before the TN has been added.

Engine and prop (combo) issues are a study in dynamic mechanical balance.  Knowing how the power stroke effects the rest of the mechanical things...

Original props had ranges to be avoided for continuous operation.  Continuous operation was hard to define for some people...

Modern props without limitations have become the norm for replacements...

I’m not sure how a TN would effect things.  Probably, not what Tom is getting at....

Tom are you asking this...

‘Question for IO360 and O360 users with a TN... what is your favorite prop upgrade and why?’

or is it more basic... ‘ Does the TN STC have special power and rpm ranges to avoid?’

I think I misunderstood the question there somewhere...

Best regards,

-a-

We have a Hartzell HC-C2YR-1BFP/F7497 on our E model.  To my knowledge nothing was changed with the exception of the RPM/MP limitation outlined for the prop. I believe it states no continuous operation between 2350 and 2550 above 24" . 

I considered this question when I purchased my prop.  The FAA considers how various STC modifications interact with one another.  The turbo normalizer maintains a "normal" engine which acts like a normally aspirated engine, only takes it to altitude with the same 29.5" of manifold pressure.  The difference is the altitude and thinner air in which it is operating.  I was concerned that the FAA would want to do vibrational testing at altitude.  I considered that any gains obtained by the newer prop would be outweighed by the uncharted course it would take to get there.  Then there is the possibilities of unexpected problems given that I would probably have been the first to do this.  I doubt you will find anything but the standard prop on RayJay Turbonormalized Mooneys.

John Breda

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, thank you for the comments. For those of you who don't know me, I am the proud new owner of several of the RAJAY STCs. I don't own the airframe STCs for the Mooneys, but I do own the engine STCs...

I want to help out and offer new products to the existing RAJAY aircraft owners. If I understand the comments, the answer is yes, RAJAY owners have run into problems in the past when trying to upgrade to new prop designs.

The good news is that I own the engine STCs and the prop is specified at the engine level! I *believe* there could be a market for new props that are customized with RAJAY altitudes in mind to get even better performance.

RAJAY owners have not been supported with regards to enhancements for a long time and I want to change that.

Edited by tomgo2
Added additional commentary
  • Like 3