Will G5 dance with IFD?

Tommy

32 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I am putting an IFD 440 for my 1981 J with KFC200. If I am to go down the dual G5 plus GFC500 digital AP in the future, what functions / features will I gain if I were to choose GTN650 instead? 

Compatibility I assume.

With regard to the 440, if you access the Avidyne forum you will find a plethora of information from smart contributors and Avidyne Techs who are more than willing to help.  To ask the question you need to register and the link is http://avidynelive.com

Having said the above, I don't know if all the info you want is available given the GFC500 is only certified for installation on a small number of aircraft such as certain Beechcraft, Cessna and Piper models at this stage.  The Mooney M20 cert program is planned to start within the next 12 months.

It might be worth a try accessing the Beech Talk forum and posting the question there.  You might have better luck as there may be contributors who have one installed.  The link is https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Tommy said:

I am putting an IFD 440 for my 1981 J with KFC200. If I am to go down the dual G5 plus GFC500 digital AP in the future, what functions / features will I gain if I were to choose GTN650 instead? 

What I have found with these mixed marriages is that Garmin does open up functionality although usually later when a new product comes out. The IFD and G5 have been out long enough that the compatibility will most likely be worked out. Where the risk comes into play is if they change something on the unit and the functionality breaks, you may have some issues until it gets resolved.

• Like 1

There are existing installations of the G5 and IFD out flying around with good success, and my airplane is in the middle of just such an installation right now.   I don't have a personal pirep as the installation isn't complete, but based on other installs and my avionics shop's opinion there shouldn't be any issues and all the expected functions should be there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EricJ said:

There are existing installations of the G5 and IFD out flying around with good success, and my airplane is in the middle of just such an installation right now.   I don't have a personal pirep as the installation isn't complete, but based on other installs and my avionics shop's opinion there shouldn't be any issues and all the expected functions should be there.

So you doing 1 or 2 G5s?  AI or HSI?

Yeah my vacuum AI died last week and I'm having it overhauled due to time constraints for a flight next week.  However, I want to go with 2 G5s AI and HSI.  Later this year or early next year I think I'll pull the trigger.  I like the 2 separate units over one unit like the Aspen though I do like the Aspens units.

• Like 1

On Beechtalk it’s been mentioned that the STC for the GFC 500 limits the GPS to a Garmin GTN Unit. This may make it tough to use another mfg’s GPS for the autopilot input. The theory is that it will probably work but Garmin has not spent the money to test it with another mfg’s GPS and that is why the STC is restricted to Surprise-Garmin!

Edited by Cris

17 hours ago, Cris said:

On Beechtalk it’s been mentioned that the STC for the GFC 500 limits the GPS to a Garmin GTN Unit. This may make it tough to use another mfg’s GPS for the autopilot input. The theory is that it will probably work but Garmin has not spent the money to test it with another mfg’s GPS and that is why the STC is restricted to Surprise-Garmin!

So those of us still rocking a GNS are out of luck?

17 hours ago, Cris said:

26 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

So those of us still rocking a GNS are out of luck?

No, you are OK. above statement is not true. As per G5 Install manual, all Garmin GTN and GPS Navigators are capable connecting to G5 HSI.

1102402739_G5slide.jpg.8f33f9d38c00aba4d9b9e559e320b78e.jpg

I was at an Avidyne training class three weeks ago. I was sitting next to the director of marketing for Avidyne. He was there for the big avionics show in Vegas.

I asked him about using a G5 with the Avidyne and the FAA. He said they were being done all over the place and the FAA didn't have a problem with it.

• Like 3