Calgary: Piper Navajo lands on city street

I was surprised this did not already get mentioned here, even though it is not a Mooney.  There is (grainy) security camera footage of the touch down on the city street.  Each article has a different angle.  Good spacing between cars and power lines.  Loss of both engines, is never a good sign.  

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/plane-makes-forced-landing-on-northeast-calgary-road

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-plane-land-roadway-1.4634332

Interesting comment in the first article, "It’s the third time this week that a plane has landed on a road in Canada."  What is going on up there?

-dan

7 minutes ago, Dan at FUL said:

I was surprised this did not already get mentioned here, even though it is not a Mooney.  There is (grainy) security camera footage of the touch down on the city street.  Each article has a different angle.  Good spacing between cars and power lines.  Loss of both engines, is never a good sign.  

http://calgaryherald.com/news/local-news/plane-makes-forced-landing-on-northeast-calgary-road

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-plane-land-roadway-1.4634332

Interesting comment in the first article, "It’s the third time this week that a plane has landed on a road in Canada."  What is going on up there?

-dan

They do it to avoid ramp fees

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, yvesg said:

This is the one that happened near me. My wife (and another pilot’s wife) was actually only a mile or two away at the while it happened.

https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/pilot-makes-emergency-landing-on-highway-5-near-chelsea-1.3897330

Yves

Funniest eyewitness account I have ever seen!

• Like 1

Not far from where I live, almost 8 years ago a Piper Mojave (Pressurised Navajo), following the shutdown of an engine was not able to maintain altitude or make it to back to the departure aerodrome resulting in an attempt to land in a street.  The aircraft struck power lines, crashed and burst into flames.  Two souls perished.

http://www.atsb.com.au/media/4058105/ao-2010-043_final.pdf 

By the look of the above surrounding power lines in the link posted by Dan, the people on board this aircraft were very, very lucky.

If you have time to click on the above link and read the ATC transmissions plus view the photos, you will have an appreciation of what I mean.

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

Nice thing about Canada is that landing on a road is still an option. Here is southern California I just stare at bumper to bumper traffic and know the ocean is my only out if I'm close enough.

Well it's still an option in many other areas in the USA.  As we all know, SoCal is often atypical of normal life.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jetdriven said:

He would’ve done a better job not running out of gas

That's what I was thinking. So one of his skills sets was strong but the other was poor.  His stick and rudder skills were high, but his aeronautical decision making skills may have been low.  (But wait for the report since he may have run out of fuel due to poor decision making, but he also may have had fuel starvation for mechanical reasons not the pilot's fault).

Don't know, have never flown a Navajo. My point was that speculating without data isn't a constructive contribution to us all learning from others' experiences. It is also potentially very unfair to the folks who will be held accountable,  without any evidence, by the court of public opinion.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Robert C. said:

Don't know, have never flown a Navajo. My point was that speculating without data isn't a constructive contribution to us all learning from others' experiences. It is also potentially very unfair to the folks who will be held accountable,  without any evidence, by the court of public opinion.

I agree with you Robert and I didn’t mean to sound as though I was casting aspersions. I have some time in Navajos, although many years ago, hence my question. From memory, operation of the fuel pump was no different to our Lyc engine Mooney’s.  I assume she was just guessing it was the fuel pump.  

Having said all that I can understand the speculation as fuel exhaustion is the first question which comes to mind when a twin is the subject of a forced landing.

• Like 2

Extremely busy road at an time during the day, at 5:30am not so bad but yes, they where very lucky there really no other place to land, it’s all built up in that area. Maybe 3 mile to the international airport. Was only one hour from it’s home base, it would be shocking if it was fuel related as fuel is much cheaper at its home base. Take a wait and see on this one.

14 minutes ago, David Herman said:

If I have a choice, I’m picking a field over a road. 

This guy virtually overflew a military airport (Richmond) at close to 7,000 feet that has a 7,000 foot runway and is ILS equipped .  ATC offered him Richmond, but he declined and elected to return to Bankstown, which is where the maintenance base was.  Never made it.

Human Factors - decision making under extreme pressure....This is where we learn.

8 hours ago, Robert C. said:

On a Navajo the first symptom of tanks running dry are the two large “FUEL PRESS LO” lights on the glare shield. Usually occurring simultaneously wirh engine surging.