Garmin GMX 200 MFD

SkipSS

I have a GTN 650 and GTX 345 but the screen size is too small on the 650 to read anything on the map. I wish I had a 750 but the 650 was installed before I bought the plane.

A Mooney friend has the older Apollo MX20 (Garmin bought Apollo and replaced it with GMX200) in his plane connected to his GNS 430 and it works great. The MX20/GMX200 is a large screen.

Im considering purchasing a used GMX 200 and installing I’m my 201 for map and traffic, or I could subscribe and get charts for the GMX 200. The unit is not supported by Garmin anymore but since it’s only acting as a display I’m not so concerned given the lower cost.  Used GMX 200’s sell for $2k -$4k plus install. 

I use an iPad Mini with ForeFlight connected to my 345, but would prefer to have a panel mounted sunlight readable large screen that doesn’t freeze or get too hot.

Anyone have any wisdom to share on this thought?

Mx20’s were plagued with screen problems. I’m sure the 200 is a better unit but if it was me I’d take the 3-4 k and upgrade your used 650 with a used 750. Install should be cheaper than adding a Garmin 200 screen as it’s plug and play minus a rack change. 

12 hours ago, SkipSS said:

The unit is not supported by Garmin anymore but since it’s only acting as a display I’m not so concerned given the lower cost.  Used GMX 200’s sell for $2k -$4k plus install.

The GMX200 is still supported and according to the Garmin website, you can still buy them new. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/6422

I know you don't mention charts, but the unit displays Jepp charts as track up, which is a fantastic feature that I don't think can be done with a 750 or the G500 MFD.  I have one and even though most of my gear is Avidyne, I will hang onto my 200 for as long as possible.  It integrates well with my IFD540.

Forget about the MX20 - Unsupported and as mentioned, screen issues.

There looks to be plenty of used 200's on the market.

Yes, I am pretty sure the 200 is still supported, its the 20 that is no longer supported.  I have a 20, and a few years ago I had to find a used one because the old one went bad and it was not supported.  The 20 is very old technology.  I, also, would recommend going to the 750 but it is a big price bump.  The 200 is, as you say, just a display, like my 20.  It is useful though, I get SatWX on mine, plus charts and course.  It does not “rubber band” like the 750, unless the 200 has been upgraded quite a bit since I last looked at one. Its not a touch screen.

The GMX 200 is a very good MFD and offers some advantages even over the 750. The resolution and screen size is larger. You can multiply the four data points in the corner of the 650 with the GMX as it offers additional on screen data. ADSB traffic and weather will display on the base unit so you do not have to buy the traffic or radar version. I use a GDL 69 to display weather on the GMX 200 and ADSB weather backup displays on the GTN625. The ADSB traffic will display on the GMX200 and I can use split screen for even more options like Map and traffic. I replaced a KLN 94 with a GTN 625 and GTR 345R so I also can output to an IPad especially with Garmin Pilot. These units do have a known issue where the screen inverts due to a hardware glitch. Many but not all have been modified. If yours has not it might require the flat rate fix which I did last year. I think it cost $1000-1200 with all of the updates. I gave hard thought to the 750 but in the end this was really the best solution for both usefulness and value. Lastly this is still an open system so other companies like Avidyne may be able to use it for display purposes. Hope this helps. 

4 hours ago, Cris said:

These units do have a known issue where the screen inverts due to a hardware glitch. 

Cris, can you please elaborate on what this looks like? I think it’s starting to happen to mine.

27 minutes ago, Mooney in Oz said:

Cris, can you please elaborate on what this looks like? I think it’s starting to happen to mine.

The screen image is literally upside down. It will do it occasionally and then more frequently. Garmin offered to repair these for free way out of the warranty but that deal is no longer available. I know as I tried to have it done last year. The only option was a flat rate repair but that will get you all of the updates as well as this hardware fix. 

54 minutes ago, Cris said:

The screen image is literally upside down. It will do it occasionally and then more frequently. Garmin offered to repair these for free way out of the warranty but that deal is no longer available. I know as I tried to have it done last year. The only option was a flat rate repair but that will get you all of the updates as well as this hardware fix. 

Thanks Cris,  I don't have that problem. What is happening to mine is when the unit is off on the dark screen, near the top right corner a small triangular shape has appeared similar to some type of delaminate.  When the unit is on, the fault can't be seen so I assume it is on the inside of the glass screen.  

One other point relates to charts. The GMX has the ability to display either Jep Charts which are geo synchronized or Garmin Charts which are not. However Safe taxi is geo referenced. The unlock cost on the Jepp subscription is expensive so if you purchase a used unit and want Jepp Charts buy one that has been unlocked. The Garmin version is either free or low cost. I don’t recall which but it is what I use. Also you don’t need a monthly subscription just an occasional update. Just be sure they are accurate when required. I use an IPad and display Charts on the GMX more for review than for the actual approach. 

• 11 months later...

buy a Samsung tablet s4, or new ipad ( mini5 ) get garmin pilot/foreflight,   

cheaper, better screen, more durable, infinitely more useful than anything else you can buy.

note if you get the ipad make sure to get the lte model ( built in gps )

I have the GMX200, GTN 650 and GTX 345 in my plane.  I love the large display of the GMX200 and find that I mainly use the GTN for changing frequencies or loading approaches — I mainly use the ipad for all the flight planning and fight updates (except approaches).  The GTX345 will provide ADS-B data directly to the low cost version of the GMX 200 (without in the additional I/O option).  The GTN 650 provides all the rest of the flight plan, GPS,... data.

Note:  I also have and Aspen Pro 1000.  The GMX 200 uses the same ADS-B output from the GTX 345 so no ADS-B data can be fed to the Aspen - only one data output and apparently different data protocols.

The charts on the GMX200 are not great due to the lower resolution.  I choose not to subscribe to the chart data as the ipad has far superior resolution and ability for touch zoom.  I use Garmin Pilot and Fltplan Go.  Both have pretty good chart features and ipad overheating isn’t an issue when you really need the charts (real IFR conditions=no sun).

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 4:01 AM, Comanche lover said:

Our GMX 200 (jep charts unlock and 430w inputs) also inverts and occasionally, usually on an instrument check ride or when you really need it, the 200 displays only lines..... it annoys the hell out of me. At times, I hate the dam thing. Don’t buy 1 it’ll let you down when you need it most....

I loved my GMX200. It displayed Jepp charts just fine as well as weather. It was the older MX20 that had to slow of a processor to handle the weather products well.
But when I had the above screen display issues I sent it back in to Garmin for repair and they fixed it fine. I had no further problems while I used it till I retired it and my GNS430Ws for a GTN 750 & 650. The 750 does everything the old combination GMX200 and GNS430W did ( or for that matter a GNS480).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk