Garwin Prop Governor?

Anyone know what the make and model number of this prop governor?  Fuel pump is in the way sorry best pic I have. (it's leaking oil)  It says Garwin on it and numbers stamped on the side 5320.  I searched the logs and there's nothing in there for the prop governor ever being worked on or replaced.    It's in a Mooney 1968 M20C Lycoming engine O-360-A1D with a 3 blade Harzell prop.  I would like to replace it with a PCU 5000  hopefully a drop in replacement.  I would rather replace it with a new one since I have the mags, vacuum pump, battery box, lower cowling and hoses out of the way.  

IMG_20180424_105953326.jpg

Welcome aboard, Don.

have you done an MS search on the PCU5000?  There has been some good information related to a few people’s experience.  I haven’t seen much lately...

Unofficial opinion...

My C had over 5000 hours on the original with at least one OH of the prop’s governor...

Oil leak’s can often be as easy as a seal...

For a more official opinion, see if @M20Doc recognizes this...

• Garwin Prop governor on an O360
  • oil leak
  • unknown (to me) hours
  • MSer wants to swap it out for a PCU5000

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic...

Best regards,

-a-

just a quick google search turned up: http://www.propgovernor.com, which states "We have the capabilities to bench test, repair and overhaul ... Garwin ... prop governors in house and also make our experienced bench mechanic available for troubleshooting when needed."

Apparently they're not that uncommon because most of the repair sites say that they can work on them.

Edited by cctsurf
  • Like 1