Nav light replacement bulb

21 hours ago, luv737s said:

Don't think you need an IA to sign off a light bulb replacement, just make a log book entry.

If its by STC is requires an IA to sign it off. If its by other means it may not. Depends on what the approval path is that the LED maker used. Could even be a minor mod, signed by an A&P.

-Robert

31 minutes ago, cctsurf said:

14 CFR Part 43 allows the owner to change light bulbs...  The original light bulbs were not in any way TSOed...  No STC, no A&P required.

It Only allows to change the bulb with the one specified in the IPC. Otherwise it's a alteration, which only a mechanic can do.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cctsurf said:

14 CFR Part 43 allows the owner to change light bulbs...  The original light bulbs were not in any way TSOed...  No STC, no A&P required.

The original bulbs were not led. You’re  changing the bulb the type certificate holder  used. If you want to use a different bulb you at least need an a&p to sign it off as a minor mod  

-Robert

• Like 2

Guest tommy123
4 hours ago, kortopates said:

It Only allows to change the bulb with the one specified in the IPC. Otherwise it's a alteration, which only a mechanic can do.

Thanks for posting that, I'm tired of correcting people on this site about the way it should be done. I'm a IA and believe in following the regs.

3 hours ago, tommy123 said:

Thanks for posting that, I'm tired of correcting people on this site about the way it should be done. I'm a IA and believe in following the regs.

Are you suggesting that there are too many “key board experts” here.

Clarence

10 hours ago, kortopates said:

Paul,

does your IPC call for position light bulbs? Mine doesn't ('67F).

It calls for Position, Light p/n 800223 and -501 (Green) with not mentioning light bulbs at all.

How would you all proceed in this case?

Thank you.

C’mon guys let’s consider the totality of the circumstances here. The Whelen LED nav or landing light bulbs are drop-in replacements. They clearly use less energy. They will almost last the lifetime of the aircraft. There is no way the FAA would dare fight this one. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tigers2007 said:

C’mon guys let’s consider the totality of the circumstances here. The Whelen LED nav or landing light bulbs are drop-in replacements. They clearly use less energy. They will almost last the lifetime of the aircraft. There is no way the FAA would dare fight this one. 

I don't think anybody is arguing with you. They are just saying that you have to follow the regs and submit the correct paperwork.

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I don't think anybody is arguing with you. They are just saying that you have to follow the regs and submit the correct paperwork.

fill out the correct paperwork. There's nothing to "submit" with a logbook entry. Or do you seriously recommend a 337 for everything "just in case", even though the FARs specify what needs one and that everything else is a minor mod requiring logbook entry by an A&P?

On 4/25/2018 at 4:08 PM, Albatros said:

Looks like W1290 bulb. Did anybody played with replacing there with LED bulbs? and is there rule against it? LED so much brighter and draws less Amps too!

Dude! Apologies for the priests coming out and performing an exorcism on your thread. It happens all the time. "Out demons, out!" They are trying to kill the Hangar Fairies.

I did an LED upgrade and I may still have the bulbs. Will head out to the airport this afternoon and check. If I have them, I will give them to you for free. If I have them, I will reply back and you can send me your address via PM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hank said:

fill out the correct paperwork. There's nothing to "submit" with a logbook entry. Or do you seriously recommend a 337 for everything "just in case", even though the FARs specify what needs one and that everything else is a minor mod requiring logbook entry by an A&P?

That's not what I'm saying. It appears that it is not a major alteration. So it would require a logbook entry by an A&P. That would be the correct paperwork. 

Sorry for the confusing statement.

I don't see anywhere in the regulations where an owner can preform an alteration, even a minor one.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tigers2007 said:

Sure, but its not really relevant to a discussion of legally acceptable work on aircraft. Are you suggesting you're just hoping that any fsdo inspector would be kind and look the other way because its not a big deal? While I agree its not a big deal why not cover yourself by legally doing the work correctly and offering an A&P $50 to sign the minor mod correctly.

-Robert

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Igor_U said:

Paul,

does your IPC call for position light bulbs? Mine doesn't ('67F).

It calls for Position, Light p/n 800223 and -501 (Green) with not mentioning light bulbs at all.

How would you all proceed in this case?

Thank you.

Your quoting the Mooney part number, so you could ask your Mooney MSC for a replacement light bulb. But your IPC should also show the Grimes equivalent part no - since that's what the Mooney part no is based on. I find that translates to the Grimes A1285-G-12. Then next step is to go to Whelen catalog look up the cross reference to Whelens part no, which is a W1285  so now you just need to look up whelen's Green 12 v replacement bulb for W1285 fixture.  Spruce shows that takes a W1290 14V or W1290-14 available from Spruce.

Although I understand parts research can be baffling to an owner, the point of this discussion though was we're only authorized to replace parts with the approved parts specified by the OEM which is our IPC. There are legal means to install something else, but it becomes and alteration which does not fall under preventative maintenance; not even a minor modification.  

Edited by kortopates

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Although I understand parts research can be baffling to an owner, the point of this discussion though was we're only authorized to replace parts with the approved parts specified by the OEM which is our IPC. There are legal means to install something else, but it becomes and alteration which does not fall under preventative maintenance; not even a minor modification.  

I'm curious on this statement.  Can you provide the FAR that specifically says this, that the replacement must be listed in the IPC?  I'd like to read it.

Thanks