Ever See a Caliper Crack?

I was preflighting yesterday and found a puddle under the left caliper.  Further investigation showed a crack that spread open under pressure.  It seems that the caliper is Cleveland par number:30-5.  Hope it is readily available and affordable.

Ever see one crack?

Do you know if caliper was ever damaged like hitting the ground?

I had occurrence when main LG tire went flat which lowered and loaded caliper against the asphalt. Force cracked the brake pad and drained the brake fluid from the line through the seal on the piston. Caliper was not damaged, though. My Mooney has LASAR reversed caliper STC which, IIRC made that possible. I always questioned what would happen if I land with flat tire.

This was on the morning when we're supposed to fly to Tahoe for VMG fly-in few years ago.

6 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

I elected to replace both of my main gear outer wheel halves and brake calipers with new not long after I purchased my J due to what I considered to be severe corrosion. I put new pads, stainless steel discs, FCIII tires, and Michelin Airstop tubes on at the same time. The inner wheel halves were in great shape so we kept them in service.  I could only assume that the corrosion was caused by brake dust eating away at the magnesium.

My solution since has been to keep brake use to an absolute minimum. 12 years later I’m on the same pads, tubes, and tires and metal parts and none of it shows any appreciable wear or signs of corrosion.

Jim

I think that’s fantastic advice. 

1 hour ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

12 years later I’m on the same pads, tubes, and tires and metal parts and none of it shows any appreciable wear or signs of corrosion.

The not-new main tires on my plane when I bought it in June 07 were replaced in Dec 13 with several hundred hours including Instrument training. The new ones are going strong. If only nose tires lasted as long, but I think they wear faster from steering; just replaced it in January, for the second time.

Edited by Hank

Michelin Flight Custom 1 on the mains, Condor on tne nose (just because tbe PO, who also owned the flight school, did it that way).

I rarely use brakes on tbe runway, and haven't done anything to them yet . . . .

Edited by Hank

Well, the mechanic also said it would be best to find the casting and transfer parts to it.  I find it as being caliper Assyrian 30-5.  Anyone know the casting only number?  Anyone know a good source.  He left it in my hands to find the part.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:14 AM, MBDiagMan said:

I was preflighting yesterday and found a puddle under the left caliper.  Further investigation showed a crack that spread open under pressure.  It seems that the caliper is Cleveland par number:30-5.  Hope it is readily available and affordable.

Ever see one crack?

I may have a few spares if your offer is fair.

I’m out of town until mid week but will check p/n’s 

I’ve seen them crack as well. So I’ll keep at least one. 

let me know!

-Matt

In the absence of a year or serial number, I posted the Cleveland catalog page, then a quick internet search found listings for more than a dozen of them.

Just trying to help.

Clarence

5 minutes ago, MBDiagMan said:

Got a salvage replacement from a fellow Mooneyspace member.  A great community here.

Thanks to all of you.

Well, that's a lucky break.....er, brake!  :lol:

• Haha 1