Norcal Bay Area Pre-buy Inspection Recommendations

9 hours ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

I'd recommend Lasar or Topgun, in that order. Both are Mooney Service Centers.

These are the two best options in the Bay Area. Neither are cheap, but for a pre-buy, you don't really want cheap, you want thorough and experienced.

I bought my '66 E from LASAR. They suggested a shop adjacent to them at Lakeport owned by a former staffer (don't remember the name), but I wanted an independent assessment. That might be a good option. Top Gun said their PPI was an annual - expensive. I ended up having Aero Resources at my home airport Columbia do the work.

Paul and Sherrie retired from Lasar; I don't know how good the new owner is. I've since come to really appreciate Top Gun. Mark really knows his stuff and they're very thorough. My bird is there right now for its annual. If they don't do your PPI, use them for annuals.

Dan

It's important to know the difference between a pre-buy and an annual. It is often a good plan to annual the plane after the pre-buy but before closing everything up. 

1. Open everything up for a full and detailed pre-buy inspection.
  2. Based on the pre-buy result, negotiate a price and close on the purchase.
  3. As the new owner, direct the shop to convert the pre-buy into an annual inspection.
  4. Enjoy your new-to-you Mooney with it's fresh annual.
  • Like 2