TLS engine run without cowling?

Rick Junkin

Does anyone ground run their TLS/Bravo with the cowling off? I can't bring myself to try it with the ducting intakes unsecured, and don't want to recreate the wheel if there is a "standard" way to secure them.

And if you're wondering, yes, I reinstall the cowling after an oil and filter change, do a ground run, and then take the cowling back off to inspect for leaks. Rather tedious and time consuming.

Cheers,
Rick

Does anyone ground run their TLS/Bravo with the cowling off? I can't bring myself to try it with the ducting intakes unsecured, and don't want to recreate the wheel if there is a "standard" way to secure them.
And if you're wondering, yes, I reinstall the cowling after an oil and filter change, do a ground run, and then take the cowling back off to inspect for leaks. Rather tedious and time consuming.
Cheers,
Rick

I would never do this on the Bravo. The intercooler and the intake is right in the prop blast and even if wired in place they’re not secure. I always completely re-cowl every time. As much as it is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DVA said:

I always completely re-cowl every time.

Thanks! That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Just gives me another reason to spend a little more time with my airplane...

Cheers,
Rick

I always do the post oil change run up with the cowl off too - I secure the air intake and intercooler ducts with a ty-wrap through one of the forward holes to the alternator brackets. I figure there is less damage to the cowls and fasteners with this method rather than the additional mount and remove cycle!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, carqwik said:

I do it with the cowl off.  Just secure the "loose bits" with safety wire.  Been doing it this way for 15  years or so...not once a problem.

12 hours ago, Awful_Charlie said:

I always do the post oil change run up with the cowl off too - I secure the air intake and intercooler ducts with a ty-wrap through one of the forward holes to the alternator brackets. I figure there is less damage to the cowls and fasteners with this method rather than the additional mount and remove cycle!

Ok, so it CAN be done successfully. Thanks!

It depends on what you’re trying to do. For trying to look for oil leaks or prop RPM functional checks or even for full throttle  EGT values  for a brief period,  great. An acquaintance of mine had a 421C that had some issues with the fuel control unit or whatever it wasn’t  running right and they would go out and run at full power static cowl off for five minutes at a time and it cost him 25k for a top overhaul before they finally figured out it was something else.. 

Edited by jetdriven