IFR or VFR Chart?

6 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

"I Fly Roads"  To each their own, but for me, I use the low IFR charts during IFR flights.

Getting and locating and adding waypoints and intersections from ATC takes too much time if I have to flip from the VFR to the IFR charts in flight. 

But that is just me.

That's what the GPS in the panel is for . . . . .

Thanks Hank, but I am not there yet.  Panel GPS primary job is to fly the airplane through the A/P.  Situational awareness and flight planning is provided by Foreflight. 

When I get more familiar with 480 buttonology, I may be there, but still a ways to go yet.  

Gotta get it installed first.........

• Like 1

9 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

IFR/IMC doesn’t matter if you’re overland or sea.  You still have to fly via procedures.  Around the carrier you always fly procedures to get you into the pattern.  If the carrier is parked under weather and its a 100 and 1/2 or it’s CAVU, there are always procedures to fly entering the carrier op area down to recovery. Which is way we learn to fly IFR early.  Helicopter guys may fly more VFR than fixed wing but we operate IFR most all the time.

How would you find your carrier if you are airborne for some time and it steams away some distance?  It’s position isn’t on a chart.  Does it have its own VOR for you to find it, assuming you could be hundreds of miles away and out of radar coverage?  I can understand that once within radar range you can be vectored through an arrival pattern to final, does it transmit an ILS.

Clarence

In my IFR flying experience I have gone from paper (Jepp enroute & plates) to iPad (enroute & plates) to glass panel (enroute) and iPad (plates) to glass panel (enroute and plates).

8099D133-AC0B-4B2C-9FAB-59C58454409A.thumb.jpeg.30c14ccdb8fc5b91a662e7ae6b2cfa5f.jpeg

4F9AB453-052F-425E-A901-45D6584447C0.thumb.jpeg.72697e6f2037be0e4ea3244ea9c4a820.jpeg

And the Garmin Fast Find makes finding a waypoint even easier.

F96DCECE-7747-4051-9199-A147BAD87F96.thumb.jpeg.04cad80762e1ec76c9e3c38d02c494fd.jpeg

Edited by Marauder
  • Like 1

I still use VFR plates as my default while IFR in IMC in cruise. Consider it a "single engine ops" issue. If I completely loose power I am going wherever this is a field, private/public, approach or not. Try to glide there and circle down with synthetic vision or whatever you've got. If you have enough energy to do an approach, great, just figgure out what the GS should be at your decent rate. Both of these methods are not standard and should be praticed in a similar and with a safety pilot. I just think ithey are reasonable options in an emergency vs coming down in IMC with no idea of what's below. Of course partial loss of power or other emergencies I would go to the low altitude chart and be talking with ATC about nearby options that are VFR or have an approach.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

• Like 3

4 hours ago, M20Doc said:

How would you find your carrier if you are airborne for some time and it steams away some distance?  It’s position isn’t on a chart.  Does it have its own VOR for you to find it, assuming you could be hundreds of miles away and out of radar coverage?  I can understand that once within radar range you can be vectored through an arrival pattern to final, does it transmit an ILS.

Clarence

Ship has its own TACAN when its radiating you can use that.  Before you launch you are also given the ship's expected recover position in lat/long so you can dial that into your nav system and that can get you into the ball park to use your radar. Also, depending on operational situations - some, all or a few ships and aircraft in the strike group will be up on a common data link situation network.

• Like 1

I also use VFR charts almost exclusively.  Around Minneapolis, and I mean waaay around, like from Chicago to Denver and all the way to the Gulf, I can fly direct pretty much anywhere, so IFR routes are not helpful.  About the only time I use IFR charts is when looking for a waypoint out along the east coast and down into FL,  In those areas ATC still likes Victor airways, and even where they don’t I find it almost impossible to look up some waypoints by typing in a search, need to look on a chart. Like BRAIN, or is it BRANE, or BRAYN, actually its BAIRN, but JAX Center thinks everyone should know what it is.