IFR or VFR Chart?

While flying using Foreflite, anyone else tend to use their sectional even when flying IFR? Typically I always get a direct routing and never bother to use the IFR chart, and just use the VFR sectional, at least until all I need is the approach plate. Maybe a bad habit??

To each his own, JPM...

I use an iPad, with a back-up idevice in case the first one spills all its electrons...

I used to keep the old paper on board in the event of an iPad failure.

Having a little plane on an iPad indicating where I am, makes my passengers feel a bit more comfortable...

They don’t use maps in their cars anymore...

I still have steam gauges on my IP...

If your question is specific to when to use a VFR chart while on an IFR flight... I click back and forth between both for ground references...

Go iPad! :)

Best regards,

-a-

Check my last sentences above, Joe.  I was still writing when I clicked the save button early...

When given an intersection to fly to... this is when the IFR chart becomes helpful.  But there are electronic ways to find these things as well...

Going direct... the IFR chart doesn’t have much to offer...  except what center you are flying through...?

Best regards,

-a-

Being former Navy aviation we were taught in accordance with NATOPS which made us fly IFR to the max extent possible so I really didn't know a VFR sectionals existed (well I did but I just didn't pay attention to them due to having to file IFR 100% of the time) until I really started flying private.  When I file IFR I still always fly with the IFR low charts on the iPad.  They are designed to have all the info you need in IMC.  I think intersections are easier to see, instrument routes are better to distinguish and it has the frequencies you need if you lose a controller on a frequency plus minimum en route altitudes on the air ways and easier to see warning and restricted areas. Just better S/A with pertinent info without sifting through the clutter of a sectional if I am IMC. Granted you can find intersections and frequencies easier now on your Garmin or iPad search now that makes it easy also but I still like having the IFR low as a backup and for flight planning.  Probably just boils down to how you were brought up and using IFR low for IFR/IMC flying is how I was raised.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joepilotmooney said:

While flying using Foreflite, anyone else tend to use their sectional even when flying IFR? Typically I always get a direct routing and never bother to use the IFR chart, and just use the VFR sectional, at least until all I need is the approach plate. Maybe a bad habit??

If so, it's a bad habit I and a lot of other pilots share. IFR charts are simpler so you can clearly see the airways, fixes, frequencies, altitudes, etc. but once you have that loaded in or available with a few taps and perhaps a swipe, a lot of us want to know what is underneath us - the information in a Sectional.

• Like 5

"I Fly Roads"  To each their own, but for me, I use the low IFR charts during IFR flights.

Getting and locating and adding waypoints and intersections from ATC takes too much time if I have to flip from the VFR to the IFR charts in flight. 

But that is just me.

8 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

Being former Navy aviation we were taught in accordance with NATOPS which made us fly IFR to the max extent possible so I really didn't know a VFR sectionals existed (well I did but I just didn't pay attention to them due to having to file IFR 100% of the time) until I really started flying private.  When I file IFR I still always fly with the IFR low charts on the iPad.  They are designed to have all the info you need in IMC.  I think intersections are easier to see, instrument routes are better to distinguish and it has the frequencies you need if you lose a controller on a frequency plus minimum en route altitudes on the air ways and easier to see warning and restricted areas. Just better S/A with pertinent info without sifting through the clutter of a sectional if I am IMC. Granted you can find intersections and frequencies easier now on your Garmin or iPad search now that makes it easy also but I still like having the IFR low as a backup and for flight planning.  Probably just boils down to how you were brought up and using IFR low for IFR/IMC flying is how I was raised.

I understand this for IFR over land, but how do you Navy guys fly IFR out at sea during carrier ops?

Clarence

32 minutes ago, Ned Gravel said:

"I Fly Roads"  To each their own, but for me, I use the low IFR charts during IFR flights.

Getting and locating and adding waypoints and intersections from ATC takes too much time if I have to flip from the VFR to the IFR charts in flight. 

But that is just me.

Your GNS 480 will make it even easier.

Clarence

3 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

I understand this for IFR over land, but how do you Navy guys fly IFR out at sea during carrier ops?

Clarence

IFR/IMC doesn’t matter if you’re overland or sea.  You still have to fly via procedures.  Around the carrier you always fly procedures to get you into the pattern.  If the carrier is parked under weather and its a 100 and 1/2 or it’s CAVU, there are always procedures to fly entering the carrier op area down to recovery. Which is way we learn to fly IFR early.  Helicopter guys may fly more VFR than fixed wing but we operate IFR most all the time.

6 hours ago, Boilermonkey said:

I usually have the VFR sectionals on while flying IFR so I can see all the possible landing locations. The low IFR maps only have airports with a published approach.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The low IFR maps only have airports with a published approach.”...........another reason why I use IFR charts.  I think we might be mixing up flying IFR under VMC conditions and flying IFR under IMC conditions.  I can possibly see flying with a sectional under VMC but if you’re IMC, IFR charts as easier to digest and have the correct IFR info to make decisions. So as a habit I use IFR under VMC and IMC when IFR so when I am in IMC everything seems familiar

• Like 1

Flying IFR in IMC or VMC, I still leave FlyQ on the sectional map because of the details I want to see that are below me.  Easier for me to pick out a location to put the plane down if there is a problem (in theory anyway since I haven't had to test it yet).  However, it is only two touches (~2 seconds) on the iPad to flip between the low altitude chart and sectional which I do regularly in flight anyway - mostly because I'm bored and start fiddling with the iPad...I could also flip to an aerial photo map if I wanted too.  :rolleyes: 

Brian

I use VFR charts when in VMC conditions (I almost always file IFR).  The 5% of the time I am in IMC, I load one map to IFR charts.  I like to know what's under me in the event of an emergency, not just airports, but terrain and other features.  I think I've needed the IFR chart to find an intersection or airway about 1/10th of the time I've been given a clearance or reroute and don't find the 2 seconds it takes to flip the chart overwhelming to me.  I've got enough time flying on both charts it's not uncomfortable to look at the IFR chart after flying with the sectional.  ALL my IFR flights before electronic chart systems were flown on IFR charts.

Tom

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anthonydesmet said:

I think we might be mixing up flying IFR under VMC conditions and flying IFR under IMC conditions.  I can possibly see flying with a sectional under VMC but if you’re IMC, IFR charts as easier to digest and have the correct IFR info to make decisions.

And Anthony's wording helps me explain my setup: IFR/VMC - Sectionals on both iPads. IFR/IMC - Low IFR routes on pilot iPad and Sectional on copilot iPad. Expected approach loaded into pilot iPad in either situation.

I like having a sectional available in IMC in case there is an emergency, and I need to get on the ground quickly. Not a lot of topographic detail on the low IFR charts.