New PPL and just bought a Mooney M20F - I have a few questions!

sdflysurf

20 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

You should practice touch-and-goes :lol:

20 hours ago, zaitcev said:

Funny you should mention that, I've only did TnGs with the checkout CFI when I bought the plane. I'm afraid to pull the gear up by accident. I do love short and consistent landings, but I do not operate the gear in a hurry, ever.

FWIW, my insurance only required two hours transition training , most of which was spent in the pattern doing landings and taxi-backs, with the gear kept extended for all of the pattern work.  The next morning I flew it 7.7 hours home, the first leg being a 5.2 hour non-stop.   Very fun.  ;)

And ever time I see your user name it reminds me of a long-time Ukrainian g/f I had that called me zaitchik.   :)

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

IFR flight can be intimidating at first, but you quickly discover it's easier than going VFR. And will actually make the flight more relaxing.

At the risk of starting up a VFR vs IFR debate, here goes...

I'm not IFR so I can't say how much more relaxing it might be, but VFR with flight following is easier and more relaxing than VFR on your own. I use flight following all the time on cross country trips and enjoy the help ATC provides. They will clear me through the Bravo in Vegas and Phoenix quite often, I don't worry about Charlie or Delta space as they take care of it and hand me off when needed, they warn of traffic conflicts, etc... "Some" of the benefits of IFR, just not all of them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I've noticed a significant change just in the last 10 years for IFR flights. It seems that all ATC facilities have excellent weather information and are quite proactive in keeping us clear of possibly damaging convection. 

ARTCC radar is not so good at detecting precipitation, the wavelength is too long, but they've added the ability to overlay NEXRAD data on their screens with a function called WARP.  They apparently added it in 2002, so that might account for the change you've seen.

Approach radar use a frequency fairly close to NEXRAD doppler facilities, so in theory they can see precip pretty well, but there are differences in how much info you can get from older and newer facilities.

That is a daytime / full moon or over city lights night VFR panel. Hopefully your engine is ok if it’s a California plane. Cut your oil filters and inspect for metal every oil change and I might seek the advice of a qualified mechanic to see if it would be worth pulling a jug and inspecting the cam and lifters before you get metal circulating through the engine. 

I like to keep my warm idle speed set to under 600RPM with the throttle all the way out, but I normally idle between 800 and 1100 RPM. When I got my new engine last year the idle was set to 800 and the airplane would use an additional several hundred feet to settle down if I crossed the runway threshold at 80mph. You want to be 85mph on short final and cross the fence at 80. 

Also, verify SB208B has been complied with and check whether your prop has the airworthiness directive. Have your mechanic pull the rear seat and inspect the spar in the corners under the round inspection holes that are under the back seat. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bradp said:

Whatever panel work you choose to have done consider rearranging the shotgun arrangement into a standard T or six pack config. 

I second this. You might be able to get a panel overlay for cheap second hand as well from someone who has had their panel upgraded. 

1 hour ago, bradp said:

A non-standard panel may be a factor in the SDL Comanche 260 crash esp wrt nighttime operations/ black holes etc.  We’ll see.... 

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/ReportGeneratorFile.ashx?EventID=20180410X32846&AKey=1&RType=Prelim&IType=FA

I think previous pics of the panel that were going around weren't bad.   It seemed like a very nicely equipped airplane.   My take on the latest report:   ATP/CFI flying the right seat at night in a barely familiar airplane with a student pilot in the left seat, the airplane was likely overloaded with excessive rearward CG and a density altitude around 3340' or so.   The panel may have contributed, but I think there were other driving factors.   Still sad.  :(

On 4/27/2018 at 12:28 PM, Antares said:

That is a daytime / full moon or over city lights night VFR panel. Hopefully your engine is ok if it’s a California plane. Cut your oil filters and inspect for metal every oil change and I might seek the advice of a qualified mechanic to see if it would be worth pulling a jug and inspecting the cam and lifters before you get metal circulating through the engine. 

I like to keep my warm idle speed set to under 600RPM with the throttle all the way out, but I normally idle between 800 and 1100 RPM. When I got my new engine last year the idle was set to 800 and the airplane would use an additional several hundred feet to settle down if I crossed the runway threshold at 80mph. You want to be 85mph on short final and cross the fence at 80. 

Also, verify SB208B has been complied with and check whether your prop has the airworthiness directive. Have your mechanic pull the rear seat and inspect the spar in the corners under the round inspection holes that are under the back seat. 

On 4/27/2018 at 1:19 PM, bradp said:

Whatever panel work you choose to have done consider rearranging the shotgun arrangement into a standard T or six pack config. 

Thanks Guys - Yeah I noticed the panel layout looked a little strange to me.  I will definitely take your advice and get it back to the 6 pack config.  (If anyone has pics of an M20 early model 6 pack config panel I would appreciate it).  I'll make a post to find out if anyone might have a panel I could buy off them.  When we go up with the A&P I will make sure we pull a jug and inspect the cam and lifters.  He is experienced with airplanes that have been sitting and initial inspection of oil and compression looks good.  It is in the California dry desert area.

Also thanks for the tips on checking the idle, ADs, and spar.

On 4/27/2018 at 12:30 PM, Skates97 said:

At the risk of starting up a VFR vs IFR debate, here goes...

I'm not IFR so I can't say how much more relaxing it might be, but VFR with flight following is easier and more relaxing than VFR on your own. I use flight following all the time on cross country trips and enjoy the help ATC provides. They will clear me through the Bravo in Vegas and Phoenix quite often, I don't worry about Charlie or Delta space as they take care of it and hand me off when needed, they warn of traffic conflicts, etc... "Some" of the benefits of IFR, just not all of them.

+ 1 on VFR FF. Flying on a southerly heading west of Jefferson City, MO when KC  center flight following told me to climb as he had two targets east of me heading 270 on merge timing. I went up and very study looking A10 Warthogs zoomed underneath me.... could just about read the serial numbers on the pilots helmets...:o   nice view though; wish I had video. 

Looked pretty much like this with a greener background that those things are **hard** to spot against. :

1941952443_ScreenShot2018-04-30at5_14_55PM.png.b89a68890dcb58429318bbd835678caf.png

Edited by Stephen
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Stephen said:

+ 1 on VFR FF. Flying on a southerly heading west of Jefferson City, MO when KC  center flight following told me to climb as he had two targets east of me heading 270 on merge timing. I went up and very study looking A10 Warthogs zoomed underneath me.... could just about read the serial numbers on the pilots helmets...:o   nice view though; wish I had video. 

Looked pretty much like this with a greener background that those things are **hard** to spot against. :

Yeah, I had a close encounter with a pair of V-22 Ospreys over Sacramento.  NorCal approach was talking to them, so they warned me well in advance, but I was surprised how big they look...

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Stephen said:

1941952443_ScreenShot2018-04-30at5_14_55PM.png.b89a68890dcb58429318bbd835678caf.png

I have had them divert me on multiple occasions to different headings, different altitudes, restricted at altitudes on climbs and descents, etc... for converging traffic. I always appreciate the extra set of eyes looking out for me.

A pair of A10s on your six... that redefines flight following... :)

I had a B52 fly under me... by the time I got a picture, he was spot on the horizon and above me by a few thousand feet....

Flight following let me know he was coming....

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 12:49 PM, Marauder said:

I absolutely agree that you should hold off upgrading until you have some time with the plane. But as someone who has learned that the hard way, spending good money on bad problems isn’t always the smartest way to proceed. I have nursed along (read spent money) to keep marginal equipment working. The main thing you want to avoid is going upside down unless you know the investment is being made in a plane you will use for a period of time and get functional usage of your investment. In other words, upgrade if you have a need to. An example, I would not fixed your ADF if it was busted. I would remove it. The KX-170B can be repaired but if your KX-155 is marginal in the least, one of them either needs to be fixed or replaced.

And oh, I just went in to have a GPS installed. Don’t let this happen to you! ;)

ba83453a2690f5c450ad723ae6b4953a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I know it is odd to quote a western on an aviation site (and not quote top gun or some other aviation movie).  This post just hit me funny is all and reminded me of this:

Tombstone and Doc Holliday ("Ice Man") (Val Kilmer) busts down the door and Creek says "don't move" and then Doc says "by all means move".  It is about 4:05 into the clip.  I could not find a better clip of that scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD7bT_XptX8&t=12s

Just makes me say by all means move.  I think everyone should have panel like that or something similar.  Sadly we all just do not have the budget (1st world problems and it is about the "pursuit of happiness" not the guarantee that everyone gets the panels of their dreams.)

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 12:49 PM, Marauder said:

I absolutely agree that you should hold off upgrading until you have some time with the plane. But as someone who has learned that the hard way, spending good money on bad problems isn’t always the smartest way to proceed. I have nursed along (read spent money) to keep marginal equipment working. The main thing you want to avoid is going upside down unless you know the investment is being made in a plane you will use for a period of time and get functional usage of your investment. In other words, upgrade if you have a need to. An example, I would not fixed your ADF if it was busted. I would remove it. The KX-170B can be repaired but if your KX-155 is marginal in the least, one of them either needs to be fixed or replaced.

And oh, I just went in to have a GPS installed. Don’t let this happen to you! ;)

ba83453a2690f5c450ad723ae6b4953a.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That sure is a beautiful panel, except for those ugly-ass switch covers!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

That sure is a beautiful panel, except for those ugly-ass switch covers!

Damn! I keep forgetting about your switches!!!! Hopefully you still have them. I will send you a check and a PM on the ones I need. Completely forgot about them.

2 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Damn! I keep forgetting about your switches!!!! Hopefully you still have them. I will send you a check and a PM on the ones I need. Completely forgot about them.

I hate to tell you, I am out.  I made more than I thought people would want so I could have a spare set, but I do not even have that anymore.  I guess I should make another batch.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ah-1 Cobra Pilot said:

I hate to tell you, I am out.  I made more than I thought people would want so I could have a spare set, but I do not even have that anymore.  I guess I should make another batch.

Serious state of sadness :( Let me know when you have another batch. What I need are: Master (prefer red if available), Radio Master, Nav Lights, Beacon, Strobe Lights, Pitot Heat and Boost Pump.

IMG_2767.PNG.cb39d705da53fd143627546becc4571d.PNG

It is all about switches.  Do they make mine better than his? Obviously joking.. i think i got one of his last sets and mine is a work in progress!

Edited by wcb

1 hour ago, wcb said:

IMG_2767.PNG.cb39d705da53fd143627546becc4571d.PNG

It is all about switches.  Do they make mine better than his? Obviously joking.. i think i got one of his last sets and mine is a work in progress!

Is this a guy who is rubbing it that Marauder missed the KSCB (Klixon Switch Cover Boat)? :)

• Haha 1