New fuel pump

So who has two thumbs and is getting his fuel pump rebuilt? This guy!!!!

Yesterday we loaded up to fly home after a lunch fly in and museum tour in McMinnville. I went to prime the fuel system and the electric pump sounded wrong and there was no fuel pressure. After messing with it, we decided it was a car trip home kind of night.

Advanced Aircraft started working on it today and now we have it pulled out and ready to be shipped to aeromotors in the morning.

I would have gone with a new Weldon but Mooney charges about $3,000 for a retrofit kit, $1,200 for the pump and $400 core.

Thank you Mooney Space for the info on Aeromotors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hopefully they can get it in this week, the weekend looks pretty good for flying!

Oooh, dang, I just checked the weather forecast and it changed! :angry:  That's the PNW for you...Looks like rain and cold over the area, it might get a bit tricky getting out of Troutdale VFR

So who has two thumbs and is getting his fuel pump rebuilt? This guy!!!!

Yesterday we loaded up to fly home after a lunch fly in and museum tour in McMinnville. I went to prime the fuel system and the electric pump sounded wrong and there was no fuel pressure. After messing with it, we decided it was a car trip home kind of night.

Advanced Aircraft started working on it today and now we have it pulled out and ready to be shipped to aeromotors in the morning.

I would have gone with a new Weldon but Mooney charges about $3,000 for a retrofit kit, $1,200 for the pump and $400 core.

Thank you Mooney Space for the info on Aeromotors!

I was at the Weldon Sun n Fun booth shopping for Weldons for two Mooneys. The Dukes pump could be replaced with a direct drop in replacement Weldon. I had the retrofit kit added back in the 1990s to move to a Weldon. That is no longer needed. Weldon makes part number A1863-A which is a direct drop in replacement if you have a Dukes pump. Aircraft Spruce sells them new for around $1300.

Your Dukes is probably part number 4140-00-19A. If so, the above pump is a drop in replacement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

Just checked the price on Aircraft Spruce. Should be $1217 with a core exchange (you need to return the Dukes).

This is a picture of the pump. Should look like your Dukes. This is the Weldon sales example I saw at the show.

3d9f83ec06bfef55cc4c2625ee876d53.jpg

Just checked the price on Aircraft Spruce. Should be $1217 with a core exchange (you need to return the Dukes).

This is a picture of the pump. Should look like your Dukes. This is the Weldon sales example I saw at the show.

3d9f83ec06bfef55cc4c2625ee876d53.jpg

I’ll send the part numbers to Greg and let him go over them. You’re probably right on the part number of my pump. It does have the fuel filter after it.

The main benefit of aeromotors rebuilding it its only $500 plus shipping. And they rate the rebuild pump as continuous duty just like the Weldon. The only benefit with the Weldon I see now is getting rid of the ad because you get to remove the filter.

I looked through my logs, unless someone didn’t log it this was the original pump. If the rebuilt one lasts the next 41 years I’ll be happy.

I’ll send the part numbers to Greg and let him go over them. You’re probably right on the part number of my pump. It does have the fuel filter after it.

The main benefit of aeromotors rebuilding it its only $500 plus shipping. And they rate the rebuild pump as continuous duty just like the Weldon. The only benefit with the Weldon I see now is getting rid of the ad because you get to remove the filter.

I looked through my logs, unless someone didn’t log it this was the original pump. If the rebuilt one lasts the next 41 years I’ll be happy.

I went through this situation back in the late 1990s. My main reason for going with the Weldon was that it was designed as a continuous duty and as a primary pump for applications that it needs to run all the time.

Not dealing with the AD or the cost to comply was icing on the cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

I went through this situation back in the late 1990s. My main reason for going with the Weldon was that it was designed as a continuous duty and as a primary pump for applications that it needs to run all the time.

Not dealing with the AD or the cost to comply was icing on the cake.

Would you still do it now if aeromotors builds it to continuous duty?

Would you still do it now if aeromotors builds it to continuous duty?

Yep. What they are doing is rebuilding your 41 year pump that I don’t think is manufactured any longer. Not familiar with Aeromotors process so I can’t comment. But I suspect, you will still have the old wiring on it and the same motor.

It has been 20 years since I made the conversion but I recall something about the Dukes having components that were prone to fail (plastic impellers?). To make them constant duty they probably went with a different material for those components. Hopefully someone will have the details.

Check your PM.

• Like 1

$500? They were $400 a year ago.

Aeromotor is AWESOME!!!!! They got the motor Wednesday morning, had it rebuilt and shipped out the same day. Received the pump today and if the weather wasn’t going to be bad this weekend these two thumbs would be flying:)

Highly recomend the company on the service alone. Hopefully the quality adds to the experience. 

http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/default.aspx

On ‎4‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:08 PM, xcrmckenna said:

Aeromotor is AWESOME!!!!! They got the motor Wednesday morning, had it rebuilt and shipped out the same day. Received the pump today and if the weather wasn’t going to be bad this weekend these two thumbs would be flying:)

Highly recomend the company on the service alone. Hopefully the quality adds to the experience. 

http://www.aeromotorsllc.com/aeromotorsllc/default.aspx

+1 for Aeromotor.  They shipped out an overhauled pump the same day they received mine (Dukes 4140-00-19A). $450 plus shipping both ways

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 9:43 PM, Marauder said:

$400 core exchange. I would highly recommend the Weldon...

5c3078f25136de7c4c8ba4c6b71ce806.jpg

That's closer to what I paid 8 years ago when I had to replace the aux fuel pump in my previous M20F.

-Seth

I got about 4.5 hours of flying today over four flights. So there was a lot of time turning the boost pump on and off. 

A few few things I noticed right off the bat:

The new pump is loud.

When I prime the engine or turn it on for take off it’s running just over 25lbs. About 4-5 higher than the old pump. 

Im not sure if the quiet sound of my old one and the lower fuel pressure were both signs of a failing pump  but these two things should make it easy to tell when this pump starts to get weak again  

Had everyone else noticed these two things with their boost pumps as well?

7 hours ago, xcrmckenna said:

I got about 4.5 hours of flying today over four flights. So there was a lot of time turning the boost pump on and off. 

A few few things I noticed right off the bat:

The new pump is loud.

When I prime the engine or turn it on for take off it’s running just over 25lbs. About 4-5 higher than the old pump. 

Im not sure if the quiet sound of my old one and the lower fuel pressure were both signs of a failing pump  but these two things should make it easy to tell when this pump starts to get weak again  

Had everyone else noticed these two things with their boost pumps as well?

The old Dukes I had was quieter than the Weldon that replaced it. My pressure with the Weldon is close to 27 PSI. I do recall the the Dukes was a bit lower. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marauder said:

The old Dukes I had was quieter than the Weldon that replaced it. My pressure with the Weldon is close to 27 PSI. I do recall the the Dukes was a bit lower. 

Copy, hopefully that’s a good thing that the rebuild is close to the Weldon. I’ll write up more after more hours. 

11 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Yes noisy. Transition training was to Check for drop on FP when turning off after takeoff.   And check for rise in FP when turning on for tanks switch and pre landing

I always verify I still had fp when I turned the boost pump off after take off. But my old boost pump didn’t put out much more pressure than the mechanical pump there wasn’t much change in the gauge. This one is a good five or six psi higher. Drastic drop when I turn it off and turn it on looking at the gauge.