flying characteristics between a 201 vs the m20E

MATTS875

I flew a J for awhile a few years ago, and then bought my current 231.  The 231 is the heavier plane, but otherwise they are basically the same airframe. I flew both planes in turbulence and in IMC and I can’t say there was any difference in how they felt.  What I did notice was that it was a fair bit easier to control airspeed during final approach in the K than in the J.  In the J, if I did not have my airspeed under control when I turned base to final, there was not much chance it would get there during the final approach segment, and of course if airspeed was to high the J would float for a long time.  With the K, I can bring the throttle to idle, the plane will fall, and I pitch up to catch it, with the result that I can lose airspeed on final quickly if I want to.  I once had to do a sort of helicopter landing during bad weather at KIXD.  Instrument approach, circle to land, a wall of rain off the approach end of the runway so had to do a tight circle at the end and wound up directly over the end of the runway at about 400’.  Gear was down, flaps deployed, speedbrakes out, throttle to idle, and the plane just fell to the runway, a little power at the end and we had a nice, smooth, uneventful landing.  I don’t think I could have done that in the J.  Other than that, I haven’t felt any difference in the flying characteristics of the two aircraft. Can’t say I have flown an E though.