I'm back!

So I finally got my poor Mooney back from the avionics shop. The radios look like they'e working, the new to my GPS seems to be doing its thing, and I've got ADSB in and out.  Of course I get to go back, since the nimrods broke my auto pilot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

So I finally got my poor Mooney back from the avionics shop. The radios look like they'e working, the new to my GPS seems to be doing its thing, and I've got ADSB in and out.  Of course I get to go back, since the nimrods broke my auto pilot.

You know around here that nothing is real unless there are pictures. :D

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steingar said:

I'd be ashamed to show my new revamped panel given what I've seen on this site. 

No way!  You spent a lot of money and we'll appreciate whatever you got.  I promise you, it's better than what I have in my panel, and I'm willing to bet we'll appreciate it more than Mrs. Steingar!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mooneymite said:

Did you say Nimrods?

download.jpg

This is what I thought of:

Nimrod (/ˈnɪm.rɒd/;[1]Hebrew: נִמְרוֹדֿ, Modern Nímród, Tiberian Nímrōth, Aramaic: ܢܡܪܘܕ‎, Arabic: النمرودan-Namrūd), a biblical figure described as a king in the land of Shinar (Assyria/Mesopotamia), was, according to the Book of Genesis and Books of Chronicles, the son of Cush, therefore the great-grandson of Noah. The Bible states that he was "a mighty hunter before the Lord [and] .... began to be mighty in the earth".[

However, things changed over the millennia . . .

In modern American English, the term is often used sarcastically to mean a dimwitted or a stupid person, a usage first recorded in 1932 and popularized by the cartoon character Bugs Bunny, who sarcastically refers to the hunter Elmer Fudd as "nimrod",[36][37] as an ironic connection between "mighty hunter" and "poor little Nimrod", i.e. Fudd.

But Gus, do you mean that there large and very ugly) alleged aircraft is called a Nimrod? Officially or unofficially? Hopefully not many were built . . . .

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

But Gus, do you mean that there large and very ugly) alleged aircraft is called a Nimrod? Officially or unofficially? Hopefully not many were built . . . .

These things actually existed and were called "Nimrods".  There was an ASW version the P-3's sometimes did joint ops with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

I hope you're joking about this.  I'd be ashamed to show my new revamped panel given what I've seen on this site. 

Heck no! Like many, I always like to see what others are doing. We all started somewhere when it comes to improving our planes.

4 hours ago, steingar said:

you have been on this board for nearly 3 years, and you're going to post a thread about your updated panel with no pics?  smh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaronDC8402 said:

I'm not sure it's possible to get avionics work done without breaking something else in the process. Just the facts of life.

Try number one to pick up the airplane, guy waves me off me saying my number one comm is stuck on.  Actually, it does indicate that its transmitting all the time, busted diode or some such.  Works just fine.  Took me about 2 seconds to figure that out.

Try number two, we drive out there (a couple hours away by car) and nothing works.  The GPS doesn't have power or connections to its satellites, the transponder isn't transponding, though the number 2 comm might have been working.  Was too subsumed in other problems to check.

Try number 3, Sunday.  I take the airplane up, GPS seems to work fine.  I want to make certain it works with the indicator, but I honestly don't even know how to bring up an approach.  I can at least check that it works with the autopilot.  Autopilot won't turn on.  WTF?

I would have left it except I would have encountered marital difficulties.  So I took it on the solemn promise that he'll get my AP fixed.  And he will, he's a good guy.  I agree, I expected one thing or another to go wrong.  But this had EVERYTHING go wrong.

Oh well, hopefully it'll be fixed soon and I can go on my merry.  Just before I drop it off for annual.  And the work that has to be done on the nose gear.

Two really bright spots though.  The nose gear shimmy is gone.  And the first landing I did, the first in 6 months, was a total greaser.

• Like 1

On 4/24/2018 at 3:09 PM, thinwing said:

Don't worry ,the landings will get worse

Oh they did.  

Had a BFR Sunday.  I was due, and after 6 months I thought it a good thing to have another set of eyes on board.  Good thing, I'd have probably killed myself were he not there.  Ugh.  Oh, and the hits just keep coming.  Comm 2, the brand new Icom radio the guy recommended. is useless to transmit.  Nothing but static.  The installer is batting 100, everything he installed failed to work firs time out.

3 hours ago, steingar said:

Oh they did.  

Had a BFR Sunday.  I was due, and after 6 months I thought it a good thing to have another set of eyes on board.  Good thing, I'd have probably killed myself were he not there.  Ugh.  Oh, and the hits just keep coming.  Comm 2, the brand new Icom radio the guy recommended. is useless to transmit.  Nothing but static.  The installer is batting 100, everything he installed failed to work firs time out.

Go to New Philadelphia. 888-GPS-DUDE, easy number to remember. Ben is very good.

24 minutes ago, Hank said:

Go to New Philadelphia. 888-GPS-DUDE, easy number to remember. Ben is very good.

Too little too late.  Its gotta go back to the guy who put everything in.  I'll burn through lots of AMUs if I take it to someone new to get all the crap fixed that the first guy bolluxed.  The new guy will spend a week's worth of my money trying to figure out wha the old guy did, and than another week fixing it.

On 4/23/2018 at 3:23 PM, steingar said:

Try number one to pick up the airplane, guy waves me off me saying my number one comm is stuck on.  Actually, it does indicate that its transmitting all the time, busted diode or some such.  Works just fine.  Took me about 2 seconds to figure that out.

Try number two, we drive out there (a couple hours away by car) and nothing works.  The GPS doesn't have power or connections to its satellites, the transponder isn't transponding, though the number 2 comm might have been working.  Was too subsumed in other problems to check.

Try number 3, Sunday.  I take the airplane up, GPS seems to work fine.  I want to make certain it works with the indicator, but I honestly don't even know how to bring up an approach.  I can at least check that it works with the autopilot.  Autopilot won't turn on.  WTF?

I would have left it except I would have encountered marital difficulties.  So I took it on the solemn promise that he'll get my AP fixed.  And he will, he's a good guy.  I agree, I expected one thing or another to go wrong.  But this had EVERYTHING go wrong.

Oh well, hopefully it'll be fixed soon and I can go on my merry.  Just before I drop it off for annual.  And the work that has to be done on the nose gear.

Two really bright spots though.  The nose gear shimmy is gone.  And the first landing I did, the first in 6 months, was a total greaser.

It sounds like you and I could write a book called “How to Destroy an Avionics Stack in 10 Steps or Less”. I’ve been through my share of revisits to correct issues created by upgrades. I classify them in 3 categories; 1) Issues created because the installer who did a poor quality job 2) Issues created by installers not knowing what they were doing and 3) Issues created by incompatibilities of the equipment installed. The third one has overlap with #2. 

My favorite was the installer who thought he was fixing my flight director issue by undoing another installers work. I had the flight director wired to be able to provide indications with the autopilot servos shut off. He re-wired it so the flight director would only come on when the AP was engaged with the servos on.

I have learned not to leave the shop until I checked everything I could possibly check before I leave the ramp. This includes stuff they shouldn’t have touched during their work. If that checks out, I will fly in the local area to check out all of the other functions that should be working. Even with those steps, I have found issues that were missed. Frustrating and expensive to fly back to get it corrected. 

Most of these shops have no established QA/QC program. And I would venture to say many don’t have someone independent of the person doing the installation check their work.

On 4/23/2018 at 11:41 AM, steingar said:

I hope you're joking about this.  I'd be ashamed to show my new revamped panel given what I've seen on this site. 

I don't have avionics, I just have radios. Wait, I do have  DME so I'm going to count that :D

Sounds like the government is increasing the price of bananas for everyone. Sorting them into categories isn't cost free for the store, nor are three display areas,  each with their own price. And some employee has to clean up after careless shoppers come through, pick them up, look at them and set them down in the wrong bin . . . lest the store be charged with selling inferior bananas at higher prices. To say nothing of the government inspectors who check on things, the extra paperwork the store has to do to certify compliance, etc., etc. 

So there are good and bad points about both systems. Personally, I prefer less government intervention in everything that I do. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hank said:

So there are good and bad points about both systems. Personally, I prefer less government intervention in everything that I do. 

Hank, I prefer more regulation for you, less regulation for me.  Can't I have it my way?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have a small community where word of mouth is a big, big deal.  The installer has been doing the best he can, but a number of issues mentioned in this thread (incompatibility, no quality control, doesn't entirely know what he's doing) are coming to the fore.  That said, he has been very up front about fixing these issues.  Were he not you you would know  his name, his shop, and possibly his home phone number.  But shysters are actually somewhat rare in aviation, they get weeded out quite quickly.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure it's possible to get avionics work done without breaking something else in the process. Just the facts of life.

Just had a 530W and Garmin 345 Adsb installed. During the test flight parts of the engine monitor stopped working - it the primary (read only) engine gauges so they are required. So, the airplane is grounded until it gets back. A 2 week job into it’s 7 the week. Sorry. Just venting a little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk