need help with Foreflight

I have all the state's info on my IPad. I have overloaded my available space in its memory and want to delete some of the states. I have looked at the FF manual. but can not figure out how to do it.

Any help appreciated. Step by step please; I'm a little slow.

Thanks

Lamont,

Sorry to bug you again. On some of them, they won't swipe. On others, I can swipe and get to the delete button, but it doesn't seem to do anything. It is now downloading, Do I need to get out of download mode to make it work. 

5 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

You need to make sure to unselect the states so they don't download again as soon as you delete them. 

Yup, sorry Don. At the very top click “United States” then scroll down to tap/deselect the individual states. 

In the picture above you’ll notice green check icons and blue download icons. Only the green ones have been downloaded already and can therefore be deleted. The blue ones have not been downloaded yet and will disappear when you deselect the state as mentioned above. 

• Like 1

Davidwh,

Some years ago, I called and a human answered and helped me. Some time later, it seems they went to a total internet thing. I just called the number you cited and "it is not a working number".

Lamont and Paul, I still am not making any headway. I was under "downloads", tapped United States, and the states popped up below. I found Alaska listed at 2GB, but there are no green checks (and it doesn't swipe). Going back to downloads, all the states have green checks, but when I swipe Idaho, for example, the delete button comes up. Tapping it causes the green check to go away and be replaced with a blue dot with 2MB, and a down load appears over on the left. Does that only mean that if I wanted Idaho back, I would need to download it.

It appears that I am only deleting the download, but not the state. And next time I start downloading info, it will pick all those I deleted and re-download them.

Go to Downloads and at the top of the screen on the right tap United States. Scroll down and you'll see a list of the States each with a Blue check mark next to them. Tap the states you want to remove. The State will still be there in the list but the blue check mark will go away.  Make sure that only the states you want have the blue check mark next to them. Now go back to Downloads and scroll down to the list where the Green check marks are by the states. Notice that the States are listed multiple times.  First there is the Taxi Diagrams and A/FD and the list of States, but if you scroll down further you'll see Terminal Procedures and the States listed again. And so on, and so on. On these lists go through and swipe and delete any of the States with the green check mark that you want to delete. They should be States that you previously tapped to remove the blue check mark from the States list under United States.

Hope that helps.

Don, 

same answer, but maybe said a bit differently.

Step 1. Go to the Downloads screen. At the top of the page, it says "United States." Tap on that and you come to the screen where you select the type of US charts you want and the states you want them for. Turn off the states you don't want. That prevents them from being downloaded again once you delete them.

Step 2. Come back to the Downloads Page and swipe/delete the states you don't want. That removes them from your iPad.

hope that helps. I was thinking if just capturing a video of doing it, but no time fir that right now,

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, steingar said:

You need an iPad with more memory.

I agree. Things get pretty unstable when you get close to full. Foreflight tries to load things and it can't. I just replaced a 32gb iPad mini2 with a 512gb iPad Pro 10.5 - lightyears worth of difference in performance.

Or WingX.  :P 

I have the whole country (VFR and low IFR) downloaded and my iPad shows 4.64 GB of storage associated with WingX.

With FF you'll need more space (but I think the images are sharper) or don't download as many states.  There are posts above with how to do that.

47 minutes ago, hypertech said:

The way I do it, if you have the time for the download, is to change the states that you want as discussed above.  Then, I delete all and click download.  It will download everything again but only the states you want.  All the others get deleted.

Yep, I was going to suggest this as well... but if only removing Alaska and a few other states it takes a while to download everything again.

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

I agree. Things get pretty unstable when you get close to full. Foreflight tries to load things and it can't. I just replaced a 32gb iPad mini2 with a 512gb iPad Pro 10.5 - lightyears worth of difference in performance.

That could also be the difference between an obsolete Mini 2 and a brand new faster processor Pro.

• Like 1

I heard back from Foreflight. Here is their response, and it worked fine. In case anyone else runs into the problem.

Hi Don,

Thanks for writing in. This is a quick fix.

* Navigate to More -> Downloads -> United States
* Tap Clear on the top right
* Select the Types of downloads you’d like
* Select only the states you need regularly

That’s it.

• Like 1

Problem to solution from FF in under 24hours... not bad...

Getting an MSer up to speed in a forum of multiple MSers... same day service!  :)

Learning about the solution before it becomes my (a standard MSer) problem... Priceless!

Thanks for sharing, Don!

Best regards,

-a-

• Thanks 1

On 4/23/2018 at 7:06 AM, LANCECASPER said:

How do you mount the 10” iPads?