At Okeechobee Airport

SkipSS

Not that hard to explain. Dragged onto a flat bed tow truck, moved to spot, slid back onto the ground. It's easy to get a tow truck to get a plane off the runway, not so quick or easy to find something that can actually lift an aircraft so you can get the gear down.

And even if they did lift it to move it, there's still a good chance there was no one familiar enough with Mooneys around to put the gear down, or the lift straps were in the way, or one of 37 other possibilities.

Edited by Steve W

Hard to explain. Surely nobody would drag the plane on its belly. Unless for some reason, the gear could not be extended even when lifted.

Landing gear mechanism/tubes were bent. Not my plane but I have some knowledge of the accident. Sorry but that’s all I can say. Have to respect the privacy of the owner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just now, Hector said:

Landing gear mechanism/tubes were bent. Not my plane but I have some knowledge of the accident. Sorry but that’s all I can say. Have to respect the privacy of the owner.

Aah, that makes sense. Thanks

This Mooney has been fitted with the new BTTF hover board technology STC.  It rests on its belly skids for easy entry and exit then it will hover about 5' above the ground for engine start and take off.  There are a couple of extra hover output flux inductors that act as brakes and lateral control while hovering and before taxing.  Maximum hover height is 10' so true VTO is not possible but it does make landing in a cow pasture very smooth and cross wind landings are mostly eliminated.  You pick up about 100lbs of useful load since the flux inductors are much lighter than our current landing gear and you pickup about 10kts because the lower skins are now smooth with no gear doors.  Oh and as a bonus you get more leg room in the front since the nose wheel well is eliminated. :o:):D

Oh yes I do have the STC for that mod but if you have to ask it's probably too much for most of us CBs here.:D

Cirrus drives need to learn to fly without the training wheels first before working on the STC for Cirrus.

I was at KOBE when it happened. Gear was up, looked like he tried to put it down last second. Engine was running fine. I think they may have been doing touch and gos. That is not the pilot in the picture. I did not see it happen, this is just what i heard while I was there. YMMV

C2E5C8BD-71A5-40F1-8191-98DE344698C3.jpeg

20 hours ago, Hector said:

Care to elaborate on this?  How do the tubes get bent?  I know the nose steering rods can be bent, but this is first I have heard of actuator tubes being bent?  Just educating myself.  Thanks.