Help finding the right 201

MATTS875

I am wanting to get back into flying . After I sold my 66 E , I have been wanting a nice 201. I guess I am like everyone else and wanting the newer avionics and lower engine time. I have looked at ASO and Controller and nothing seems to fit. All suggestions are very much appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

I am wanting to get back into flying . After I sold my 66 E , I have been wanting a nice 201. I guess I am like everyone else and wanting the newer avionics and lower engine time. I have looked at ASO and Controller and nothing seems to fit. All suggestions are very much appreciated. 

What sort of price range are you looking at?

a “nice” 201 (ie the cremepuff): low time motor, all glass, ads-b out, new paint, new interior... that’s a 125-135,000 plane, give or take.  

For 100K, it seems like you can get one or two of the items above.

for 75K, you can get a serviceable J, but it will probably need ADSB out...

there are 1 or 2 totally updated and refinished J’s out there for 155-165... the crowd here on MS has gone back and forth on if they are overpriced or not.  They are certainly head turners, either way.

Matt,

What is concerning about 1300 hours?

far from early failures, and not very near 2300 hours...

at 100 hours per year, that still leaves you 7 years before recommended TBO...

kind of in the sweet spot in my fuzzy mind.

Just Wondering what is driving your decision...

Best rgeards,

-a-

• Like 1

The last planes I had purchased had 4-800 hrs with very little maintenance issues. Then I got a wild hair and bought a citrus sr20 with 1500 hrs and it was a maintenance nightmare. Can’t judge all like that one but it was rather a bad situation 

Matt, Personally, I would rather buy a plane whose engine had 1300 hours on it if operated properly than one with 100 that hasnt or been broken in properly. Having low time just means the chances of abuse are lower. You can do a LOT of damage to an engine in the first 10 hrs.

My only thoughts were I bought a 1200hr engine and basically paid 8k for this engine time. When the engine spalled 3 lifters a year later that money was wasted. New is new and runout is runout. But past midtime is something else

Edited by jetdriven

11 hours ago, jetdriven said:

My only thoughts were I bought a 1200hr engine and basically paid 8k for this engine time. When the engine spalled 3 lifters a year later that money was wasted. New is new and runout is runout. But past midtime is something else

Yours wasn't  a case of mismanagement or time since new, but rather defective metallurgy. Your engine could have had 100 hrs on it and started to shed tappet part numbers also. This happened to CarolAnn Garratt and a number of others. Lyc now has a new "diamond hard" tappet for a reason as you know. You wasted your money when you bought the engine in spite of the SMOH on it, Byron

8 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Byron's plane suffered from low use prior to purchase, which likely led to the cam demise. Scott's 205 has been flying regularly since he's owned it, so the fear of corrosion-->spalling should be nil in this case.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

True, buyer beware to review logs to make sure plane is flown regularly.  I'm shopping for a long body Mooney and the number of planes I've seen that just sit are disheartening.  The sadder part is that the owners make believe that there is nothing wrong with letting a plane sit. I saw an Ovation a couple weeks ago that has not had an annual since 2009 :(.

2 hours ago, Chris K said:

True, buyer beware to review logs to make sure plane is flown regularly.  I'm shopping for a long body Mooney and the number of planes I've seen that just sit are disheartening.  The sadder part is that the owners make believe that there is nothing wrong with letting a plane sit. I saw an Ovation a couple weeks ago that has not had an annual since 2009 :(.

Welcome aboard, other Chris K...

You are about to find some eye opening thoughts... airplane ownership spans decades... a lot can happen over the decades...

Disheartening...

1) Looking at a nice plane that doesn’t fly much. Bummer, it needs an OH...

-or-

2) Owning a nice plane that doesn’t fly much.  BUMMER, the owner needs an OH...  :)

An ovation that hasn’t flown since the market crash of 2009... The Great Recession and it’s effects lasted longer than a year,  there is possibly  more than the health of the engine to be checked into...

Either way...

A good PPI is still a good idea whether the plane has flown a lot or a little...

200amu for an M20R... what’s another 35amu to have a zero time engine...  :)

Go O!

Best regards,

-a-

On 4/22/2018 at 7:25 PM, MATTS875 said:

The last planes I had purchased had 4-800 hrs with very little maintenance issues. Then I got a wild hair and bought a citrus sr20 with 1500 hrs and it was a maintenance nightmare. Can’t judge all like that one but it was rather a bad situation 

I believe what I've heard from @M20Doc was that cirrus aircraft just seem to have quite a few issues with the engine. I don't know if he was only referring to the sr22, or both the 20 and 22, but if i remember correctly, he stated that cirrus seems to have quite a few more issues with the engines than mooney does. (this is from memory. I might be completely wrong. I wouldn't know because I wouldn't buy a cirrus.)

The IO550-N engine in the Cirrus SR22 has the highest rate of cylinder cracking of any engine I’ve seen in my 35 years of maintenance.  The airframe is not a problem.  I think that Cirrus would sell even more if they installed a nice grey Lycoming engine.

Clarence

On 2018-04-22 at 5:28 PM, MATTS875 said:

There are two J models for sale on the field I’m located on.  One is listed here, it’s a 1978, Owned by Steve Dawson, the other is a 1981, pm me for details.

Clarence

7 hours ago, Niko182 said:

I believe what I've heard from @M20Doc was that cirrus aircraft just seem to have quite a few issues with the engine. I don't know if he was only referring to the sr22, or both the 20 and 22, but if i remember correctly, he stated that cirrus seems to have quite a few more issues with the engines than mooney does. (this is from memory. I might be completely wrong. I wouldn't know because I wouldn't buy a cirrus.)

You have heard correct. It has something to do with the alternator bracket placement that has caused it to fail and crack the crankcase. This is a problem that has been on several sr20's which my friend here had to replace an engine with only 800 hrs tt

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 4:39 PM, M016576 said:

What sort of price range are you looking at?

a “nice” 201 (ie the cremepuff): low time motor, all glass, ads-b out, new paint, new interior... that’s a 125-135,000 plane, give or take.  

For 100K, it seems like you can get one or two of the items above.

for 75K, you can get a serviceable J, but it will probably need ADSB out...

there are 1 or 2 totally updated and refinished J’s out there for 155-165... the crowd here on MS has gone back and forth on if they are overpriced or not.  They are certainly head turners, either way.

I saw the 2 j's online for the 155 and 165  . nice airplanes just out of my price range.  Hopefully one will come up that will fit the budget. Hoping to stay around 100k or so

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KSMooniac said:

Byron's plane suffered from low use prior to purchase, which likely led to the cam demise. Scott's 205 has been flying regularly since he's owned it, so the fear of corrosion-->spalling should be nil in this case.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

CarolAnn Garratt lost a cam and tappets in her famous J  at about 300 SMOH. She keeps it in a climate controlled hangar, flew it a couple of times a week at a minimum. Used Aeroshell 100,  Lack of use wasn't it's issue, metallurgy was. She now has a roller cam in it and is considering selling N220FC if you want a famous one

10 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

CarolAnn Garratt lost a cam and tappets in her famous J  at about 300 SMOH. She keeps it in a climate controlled hangar, flew it a couple of times a week at a minimum. Used Aeroshell 100,  Lack of use wasn't it's issue, metallurgy was. She now has a roller cam in it and is considering selling N220FC if you want a famous one

definitely interested.  I will search on mooneyspace and see if I can find out more details or get in contact with her