Help finding the right 201

MATTS875

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/22538119/1983-mooney-m20j-201

this one looks really nice for the price

edit: didn’t see the bit about K-model wings when I first posted.  Would certainly want to dig into that more to see exactly what the seller means...

Edited by M016576

14 minutes ago, M016576 said:

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/22538119/1983-mooney-m20j-201

this one looks really nice for the price

edit: didn’t see the bit about K-model wings when I first posted.  Would certainly want to dig into that more to see exactly what the seller means...

And the 87 compression on all 4 cylinders is hopefully a typo...

• Like 1

The IO550-N engine in the Cirrus SR22 has the highest rate of cylinder cracking of any engine I’ve seen in my 35 years of maintenance.  The airframe is not a problem.  I think that Cirrus would sell even more if they installed a nice grey Lycoming engine.
Clarence

I wonder if the lack of a separate propeller (rpm) control contributes to this problem?

That looks like a very nice J but price seems high for a high time engine IMO and the legacy panel (except for the Avidyne stuff). One of the last J models made (production ended in 98 but it was low volume then). It has the sought-after vertically adjustable seats and removable rear bucket seats and the 2900 gross weight (I presume). I don't like the red fabric, but that is easily rectified if you don't like it. The mag will need an inspection at 500 hours. No mention of fuel tank status, so probably original sealant.

I'd run it thru the valuation tool on the Mooney Flyer site and see what it says. Price can be negotiated down of course, but rarely up! ;) I'm looking at the perspective that you take the asking price and an engine overhaul cost and you're in early Ovation territory...

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

That looks like a very nice J but price seems high for a high time engine IMO and the legacy panel (except for the Avidyne stuff). One of the last J models made (production ended in 98 but it was low volume then). It has the sought-after vertically adjustable seats and removable rear bucket seats and the 2900 gross weight (I presume). I don't like the red fabric, but that is easily rectified if you don't like it. The mag will need an inspection at 500 hours. No mention of fuel tank status, so probably original sealant.

I'd run it thru the valuation tool on the Mooney Flyer site and see what it says. Price can be negotiated down of course, but rarely up! ;) I'm looking at the perspective that you take the asking price and an engine overhaul cost and you're in early Ovation territory...

Seems to be a nice plane with high time engine. Maybe I am being too anxious and need to wait for the right one.

4 minutes ago, MATTS875 said:

In Selma ,Al.   War Eagle

That's not too far. There's also a member in Pell City.

Anywhere near your airport to eat? There's not much here, anywhere in town; from the airport you'll need a ride even for fast food. I'm based at 41A in Tallassee.

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

That's not too far. There's also a member in Pell City.

Anywhere near your airport to eat? There's not much here, anywhere in town; from the airport you'll need a ride even for fast food. I'm based at 41A in Tallassee.

nothing around the airport to eat. everything is downtown.  I wish they had more to offer.

7 hours ago, M20Doc said:

The IO550-N engine in the Cirrus SR22 has the highest rate of cylinder cracking of any engine I’ve seen in my 35 years of maintenance.  The airframe is not a problem.  I think that Cirrus would sell even more if they installed a nice grey Lycoming engine.

Clarence

I know the only real difference between the IO-550 N & G are cylinder design and weight. Do you think they took off too much aluminum on the diet?

1 hour ago, kmyfm20s said:

I know the only real difference between the IO-550 N & G are cylinder design and weight. Do you think they took off too much aluminum on the diet?

The N cylinders were place on the O3 but it seems on the M20U they went back to the G cylinders. Id guess too many people were burning them up.

On 4/23/2018 at 7:09 AM, mike_elliott said:

Yours wasn't  a case of mismanagement or time since new, but rather defective metallurgy. Your engine could have had 100 hrs on it and started to shed tappet part numbers also. This happened to CarolAnn Garratt and a number of others. Lyc now has a new "diamond hard" tappet for a reason as you know. You wasted your money when you bought the engine in spite of the SMOH on it, Byron

I mostly agree. We did pull the #1 cylinder off and hit all 4 forward lifters with contact cleaner then used an inspection camera and mirror.  They were clean.  The two forward exhaust valve lifters spalled 250hr later.  Anyway with a 1200 r engine type usually have to pay money for it beucause it’s valued as such in the book and by custom.  

3 hours ago, jetdriven said:

I mostly agree. We did pull the #1 cylinder off and hit all 4 forward lifters with contact cleaner then used an inspection camera and mirror.  They were clean.  The two forward exhaust valve lifters spalled 250hr later.  Anyway with a 1200 r engine type usually have to pay money for it beucause it’s valued as such in the book and by custom.  

Perhaps the contact cleaner damaged them, have you heard of WD40?

Clarence

Edited by M20Doc

On 4/24/2018 at 6:35 AM, M20Doc said:

There are two J models for sale on the field I’m located on.  One is listed here, it’s a 1978, Owned by Steve Dawson, the other is a 1981, pm me for details.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence

Here's my listing in MS.

Of course I think it's one of the best 201's for sale out there but it's always smart to check what's available and what you need.

BTW, Clarence did the pre-buy when I bought this.

What is the best way to find out the value of a mooney?  Is there a site to go to
Mooneyflyer.com has a valuation tool that is helpful. Probably more useful than the free AOPA VREF tool. Otherwise, you could pay for a real appraisal from a certified appraiser that had access to real sale data. You could also make your own spreadsheet by tracking ads with important details and asking prices, and see how long they're listed...but of course you won't know sale price vs. asking price. After a year or more you'll get a decent idea of what is worth what.