Alternator belt "reversed"

My friend flies a Barron with Continental IO-470L.  That engine has a rear alternator mount.  He recently found that one of his alternator belts had "reversed", and the smooth outside surface was running on the pulley with the belt's teeth out.

My questions:  Has anyone heard of this?  How can this happen?

At least he doesn't have to remove his prop to replace a belt.

Is it a V shaped belt?

in a V shaped pulley channel?

Notches usually face the pulley,  this allows for the difference in radii of the path of the belt.  The difference of the inner surface vs the outer surface...

In the automotive world the same belt may go over several pulleys in an S fashion...

In the Brand B world anything is possible... sound like they use a belt driven alternator in place of gear driven ones...?

PP thoughts only

Best regards,

-a-

3 hours ago, neilpilot said:

My friend flies a Barron with Continental IO-470L.  That engine has a rear alternator mount.  He recently found that one of his alternator belts had "reversed", and the smooth outside surface was running on the pulley with the belt's teeth out.

My questions:  Has anyone heard of this?  How can this happen?

At least he doesn't have to remove his prop to replace a belt.

That would take some special skills to put the belt on inside out.

Clarence