Main gear castle nut cotter pin size

MooneyTunes

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, rotorman said:

Is the nose wheel cotter pin the same as the main?

No, it's smaller.

Edit:  Got back to somewhere that I could check the IPC, where I know the numbers are different.

Nose (NLG):  AN380-4-8, MS24665-360

Main (MLG):  AN380-4-10, MS24665-362

The only difference between them is the length, so the longer one (AN380-4-10) could be used and just cut to size.

I just did these on my airplane and I think there was an AN380-3-8 in the nose, which made me think the diameters were different, too, but not according to the IPC for a J model.

Here's a handy cotter-pin mil-spec/AN cross reference from Aviall:

https://shop.boeing.com/medias/0026.pdf

Edited by EricJ
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rotorman said:

Is the nose wheel cotter pin the same as the main?

Diameter is the same, length is longer.  I use the longer for all applications and cut them after installation.

Clarence

Snap on dikes are the bomb for cutting things.  We used to use them to cut antennas in the field where we did not have the bolt cutters.    The antennas would score the edges but it was OK since the snap on man stopped by regularly and we would trade them in.   Watch your eyes when cutting cotter pins with a good cutter.

1 hour ago, Yetti said:

Snap on dikes are the bomb for cutting things.  We used to use them to cut antennas in the field where we did not have the bolt cutters.    The antennas would score the edges but it was OK since the snap on man stopped by regularly and we would trade them in.   Watch your eyes when cutting cotter pins with a good cutter.

I inherited two pair of Klein diagonal cutters when my father in law passed. they are my new favorites. They will cut through those big cotter pins like they were solder.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/diagonal-cutting-pliers/diagonal-cutting-pliers-angled-head-8-inch

BTW, I hold the tails when I cut them so you don't have pieces of metal flying around the hangar.

Edited by N201MKTurbo
  • Like 2

On 5/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

BTW, I hold the tails when I cut them so you don't have pieces of metal flying around the hangar.

I think it is a Klien with my bike stuff.  Very nice for cutting bike cables.   I've been cut holding on to things.   I just turn my head and close my eyes.

On 5/22/2022 at 10:59 AM, N201MKTurbo said:

I inherited two pair of Klein diagonal cutters when my father in law passed. they are my new favorites. They will cut through those big cotter pins like they were solder.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/diagonal-cutting-pliers/diagonal-cutting-pliers-angled-head-8-inch

You must be old school, taught to account for clipping when cutting things in the shop.

Clarence