Expected approximate cost for prop overhaul

tfagin

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I just got the bill from Warner Propeller in Tucson. My rear kind of hurts.

They want $4200 for the overhaul and $450 to tell me they couldn't overhaul my governor.

BTW, they both worked perfect when I took them in! 

I think this is the last time I do business with them.

FWIW, I can't find a record of Ottosen charging me anything to determine that my old governor was toast.   He just gave me the option that a new governor would only be about $60 more than rebuilding my old one, so I just got a new one.   Got the pieces of my old one back in a box.   I took my prop in for them to check, too, since we couldn't figure out where the problem was, and they didn't charge me for that, either.   I did take the governor back for them to turn the pressure up to the spec limit, and he charged me $150 for that.    So all in it was $1900 for a new gov plus $150 to turn the gov up later.   

I still have to take a peek at it to see whether it has the 'B' stamp on it, though.   It has a Q1 2020 build date and the service bulletin came out in early January, so I have my fingers crossed.  ;)

37 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I had this happen as well, something about it being too old or parts unavailable, the prop shop sold me a newer overhauled version.

Yes, but after they called and said they couldn't overhaul it, I ordered an exchange overhauled governor from another company. Yet they charged me half of an overhaul price to tell me it was beyond their capabilities to overhaul it.

I sent my Hartzell H-1 governor (hard to work on from what I hear since they're so old) to Air Prop Specialties in Marianna, FL after a brutal winter flight sprang a leak from a gasket and they IRAN + resealed it for $350. Said everything inside looked in great shape. A bunch of other shops said they wouldn't touch an H-1 and suggested I just upgraded to that PSU5500 model. I got 600 hours of out it so far and one of the only things I've never needed to fix/replace.

If I ever needed prop work done, I'd just box it up and send it to Stallings.

Edited by Raptor05121
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I sent my Hartzell H-1 governor (hard to work on from what I hear since they're so old) to Air Prop Specialties in Marianna, FL after a brutal winter flight sprang a leak from a gasket and they IRAN + resealed it for $350. Said everything inside looked in great shape. A bunch of other shops said they wouldn't touch an H-1 and suggested I just upgraded to that PSU5500 model. I got 600 hours of out it so far and one of the only things I've never needed to fix/replace.

If I ever needed prop work done, I'd just box it up and send it to Stallings.

+1 on experience with Stallings.  Cody is “The best”! Great experience.  :)