Expected approximate cost for prop overhaul

tfagin

Just had our prop and hub overhauled on our 1979 M20J.  Prop is a McCauley B2D34C214-A and had about 1000 hrs and 12 years since last overhaul.  Cost - $2900.  Verbal estimate (not firm by any means) prior to work was about $2K.  They did find some corrosion and had some re-plating done.  Fair cost, or were we screwed?

Just had our prop and hub overhauled on our 1979 M20J.  Prop is a McCauley B2D34C214-A and had about 1000 hrs and 12 years since last overhaul.  Cost - $2900.  Verbal estimate (not firm by any means) prior to work was about $2K.  They did find some corrosion and had some re-plating done.  Fair cost, or were we screwed?

Sounds good to me, I thought a reseal and dress would cost that much. Personally I would not want my blades grounded as they are 40 years old, but in good shape.
Dud you overhaul because of time, hours, or condition?

23 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Sounds good to me, I thought a reseal and dress would cost that much. Personally I would not want my blades grounded as they are 40 years old, but in good shape.
Dud you overhaul because of time, hours, or condition?

We did it because of time - 12 years since last OH.

@tfagin,

Just Wondering....

Why Wait so long before your first post?

Wouldn’t it have been better to ask for the advice before having the work done? :)

Are you in Canada?

Because OH on a prop for GA/part 91 ops isn’t required on a timed basis. (In the US) and isn’t very popular when not required...

You might want to add some detail to your avatar...

PP thoughts only, just wondering...

Best regards,

-a-

That’s about right for that Propeller.

A C14 McCauley is a very time consuming Propeller, as they are threaded an the Ferules have to be removed, reinstalled, restaked an Drilled.

Lots of Work in that one process.

Also, keep in mind the Blades in a C14 are like finding hens teeth these day.

Try an keep the grinding an fileing to a Minimum.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Fookz92 said:

East coast Propeller located in Lititz, PA. Talk to Randy. He's a straight shooter. 77J bought in Dec 2017. Propeller with 960hrs SNEW. Never overhauled. Cost $2500 and that includes shipping back to you. 

Any specific reason for the overhaul? 960 hrs and good shape since new I wouldnt see the need to overhaul.

3 minutes ago, lifendet said:

Any specific reason for the overhaul? 960 hrs and good shape since new I wouldnt see the need to overhaul.

My IA was pushing for the overhaul more than me. But it is a peace of mind now that it is done. The plane has been dormant for over a decade in a hangar. Was concerned about possible corrosion or rust. 

The findings during the overhaul?..... none. Just and AD compiled with is all. 

6 hours ago, Fookz92 said:

My IA was pushing for the overhaul more than me. But it is a peace of mind now that it is done. The plane has been dormant for over a decade in a hangar. Was concerned about possible corrosion or rust. 

The findings during the overhaul?..... none. Just and AD compiled with is all. 

That's why I like IRAN "Inspect and replace as necessary". On an overhaul they are bound to do an overhaul, meaning you lose some material off of the blades, some parts which are just fine have to be replaced, etc. On an inspect and reseal you still get the peace of mind and on a two blade prop for about $600. It took a couple of overhauls on different planes over the years  to help me realize that. 

• Like 3

That's why I like IRAN "Inspect and replace as necessary". On an overhaul they are bound to do an overhaul, meaning you lose some material off of the blades, some parts which are just fine have to be replaced, etc. On an inspect and reseal you still get the peace of mind and on a two blade prop for about $600. It took a coupe of overhauls on different planes over the years  to help me realize that. 

Does IRAN imply reseal and repaint, or do they need to be requested as well?

Generally included but you can can maybe save 100$ not having it painted. But that’s foolish, they’re painted wirh Polane and it’s a very tough paint and that protects the blades from corrosion. 

So, short answer, yes but always ask. 

On 4/20/2018 at 7:49 PM, M20Doc said:

Here it’s around 1500-2000 Canadian per blade, so 3-4000 Canadian for your propeller.  The US always seems lower due to greater competition.

Clarence

That’s what capitalism and a free market  does for you!:P

Edited by Bravoman

9 hours ago, Bravoman said:

Yes, that or the fact that the market is so small there is only enough work for only a few shops.

Clarence

Byam Propeller in Fort Worth, TX has always done a good job and a fair price for me for decades. I had my prop OVERHAULED with all SB's complied with about two years ago. The prop hadn't been off since 1981. I think the price was around $2k. The prop governor was to the point the cost of repair exceeded buying a new one and they let me know it.   

3 hours ago, Cardinal767 said:

Byam Propeller in Fort Worth, TX has always done a good job and a fair price for me for decades. I had my prop OVERHAULED with all SB's complied with about two years ago. The prop hadn't been off since 1981. I think the price was around $2k. The prop governor was to the point the cost of repair exceeded buying a new one and they let me know it.   

I had a very bad experience with Byam, but I don't want to bad-mouth them on the forum, since my experience may not be typical of them. If you want to PM me, I will give you any details you want.

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2018 at 8:54 PM, Bravoman said:

$3-4K Canadian = $2.2 - 3K US at today’s exchange rate. Just about what the OP paid. Sounds like our little free market is working just fine!

On 4/22/2018 at 12:28 AM, Cody Stallings said:

That’s about right for that Propeller.

A C14 McCauley is a very time consuming Propeller, as they are threaded an the Ferules have to be removed, reinstalled, restaked an Drilled.

Lots of Work in that one process.

Also, keep in mind the Blades in a C14 are like finding hens teeth these day.

Try an keep the grinding an fileing to a Minimum.

Are the blades for a C214 not being made anymore? Or are they just that expensive? curious.