Governor Stop Screw - Safety Wire?

Whenever I have the cowling off to do something I like looking around just to see if something looks odd. Not that I really know what I am looking for but you just never know what may stick out. Last night I noticed that the maximum RPM adjustment screw has a hole through it for safety wire but no safety wire on it. Should it be wired, and if so what to, just around the arm that it sits in?

20170127_132509.thumb.jpg.5261dd9713a03d228a3962af67d0ba37.jpg

Whenever I have the cowling off to do something I like looking around just to see if something looks odd. Not that I really know what I am looking for but you just never know what may stick out. Last night I noticed that the maximum RPM adjustment screw has a hole through it for safety wire but no safety wire on it. Should it be wired, and if so what to, just around the arm that it sits in?

20170127_132509.thumb.jpg.5261dd9713a03d228a3962af67d0ba37.jpg

Interestingly I usually take pictures before I do oil changes. Caught my governor in this picture.

7f8b2232112f18dac2e6ea27aa7ca470.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Thanks 1

What size screw is that?   The one on my O360 needs replacing.  Trail and error through my A&P’s used screw collection turns up 0.16” (too large) and 0.12” (too small).   I need (just right).   Thx.

Follow up- I think it is a no. 8 screw but stripped out.  Anyone had that problem?

19 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

What size screw is that?   The one on my O360 needs replacing.  Trail and error through my A&P’s used screw collection turns up 0.16” (too large) and 0.12” (too small).   I need (just right).   Thx.

I'll be out there tomorrow and get you a size. 

• Like 1

Good photos,  Richard.

But screw length is measured from below the head. Also, don't push things onto the recessed part of the calipers, the outside is the calibrated zero position (the part of the jaws that touch when reading zero). Nice calipers though. I've just recently converted from vernier to digital myself (despite being near sighted, my closeup visual acuity is waning . . . Getting old isn't easy, but it does beat the alternative.).

8-32 is the important part, length looks about 3/4". Don't forget the nut.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Richard, thanks for the info.  Too bad it isn't some weird metric size...  This means that on my a/c the limit lever the hole is stripped so that a No. 8 screw slips in/out.  I spoke with my A&P who said he will tap it so a #10x32 fits. 

43 minutes ago, Fred_2O said:

Richard, thanks for the info.  Too bad it isn't some weird metric size...  This means that on my a/c the limit lever the hole is stripped so that a No. 8 screw slips in/out.  I spoke with my A&P who said he will tap it so a #10x32 fits. 

I used a helicoil in mine with the original screw as an alternative to tapping to the oversize.

Cheers,
Rick

2 hours ago, carusoam said:

Nice work, Richard!

• writer
  • mechanical skills
  • pilot
  • businessman

What other skills do you have?  :)

Best regards,

-a-

I sing too. :D Just got finished in a production of The Music Man and was part of the barbershop quartet.

2 hours ago, Hank said:

Good photos,  Richard.

But screw length is measured from below the head. Also, don't push things onto the recessed part of the calipers, the outside is the calibrated zero position (the part of the jaws that touch when reading zero). Nice calipers though. I've just recently converted from vernier to digital myself (despite being near sighted, my closeup visual acuity is waning . . . Getting old isn't easy, but it does beat the alternative.).

8-32 is the important part, length looks about 3/4". Don't forget the nut.

Good to know, I thought about that afterwards, but by the time I thought about it I had already put it back in and didn't feel like taking it out again just to get a new picture. I think they were these $19 ones from Lowes, but it looks like you can get the same ones for $16 at Home Depot.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/General-Tools-Instruments-3-in-Digital-Caliper/3138565

https://www.homedepot.com/p/General-Tools-3-in-Carbon-Fiber-Digital-Caliper-1433/300383994

• Like 1