7 hours ago, David Herman said:

Gosh, 

you can put a turbo on a carbureted C ... ? please fill me in!

Is it hard to find one? 

1964 MOONEY M20D C MODEL CONV. • $39,800 • FOR SALE BY OWNER  AFTT 5308, engine TSMO 668. High compressions 76, 76, 78, 79. This is an M20D converted to a C model. Beautiful new interior installed 2017. Rajay turbocharger lets you climb well over 18000ft. IFR certified Garmin GPS155XL, Terra dual nav/comms with GS receivers. Fuel tanks stripped and resealed in 2015. Lots of mods including electric flaps, 201 windshield, panel, and wingtips, inboard gear doors, cowl closure, aileron and flap gap seals, flap hinge covers, wing root fairings, and more! Good paint (7/10). Fresh annual completed March 2018. Ready for new owner! • Contact Daniel Romeike, Owner - located Morristown , TN USA • Telephone: 4237072707 • Posted April 20, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1524192712 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192726 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192779 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192799 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192826

23 minutes ago, mpg said:

1964 MOONEY M20D C MODEL CONV. • $39,800 • FOR SALE BY OWNER  AFTT 5308, engine TSMO 668. High compressions 76, 76, 78, 79. This is an M20D converted to a C model. Beautiful new interior installed 2017. Rajay turbocharger lets you climb well over 18000ft. IFR certified Garmin GPS155XL, Terra dual nav/comms with GS receivers. Fuel tanks stripped and resealed in 2015. Lots of mods including electric flaps, 201 windshield, panel, and wingtips, inboard gear doors, cowl closure, aileron and flap gap seals, flap hinge covers, wing root fairings, and more! Good paint (7/10). Fresh annual completed March 2018. Ready for new owner! • Contact Daniel Romeike, Owner - located Morristown , TN USA • Telephone: 4237072707 • Posted April 20, 2018  Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser  Recommend This Ad to a Friend  Email Advertiser  Save to Watchlist  Report This Ad  View Larger Pictures

1x1.gif

thumb.jpg?modified=1524192712 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192726 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192779 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192799 thumb.jpg?modified=1524192826

That seems ridiculously underpriced

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

That seems ridiculously underpriced

I'd disagree. Someone's spent a lot of money on a C, but in my opinion, all in the wrong places. The paint, interior, panel, and turbo have all been done, but no WAAS GPS, autopilot, graphical engine monitor or ADSB. And the radios are all antiques. It needs at least $40K to bring it to a point it would be enjoyable to fly as a cross country machine. With original paint, interior, and no turbo... but with an Stec30/alt, GNS530W, GEM G2, and ADSB, this would be a $50K M20C. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'd disagree. Someone's spent a lot of money on a C, but in my opinion, all in the wrong places. The paint, interior, panel, and turbo have all been done, but no WAAS GPS, autopilot, graphical engine monitor or ADSB. And the radios are all antiques. It needs at least $40K to bring it to a point it would be enjoyable to fly as a cross country machine. With original paint, interior, and no turbo... but with an Stec30/alt, GNS530W, GEM G2, and ADSB, this would be a $50K M20C. 

Good point.  I admittedly didn’t pay attention to the avionics.  That said, people are asking that around my area for much much worse condition Cs.  Case in point - https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/mooney-20c-mark-21-aircraft/6555462708.html

i looked at this one today (its at my field).  It’s in pretty good shape, cosmetically, but it’s stuck in 1972.  I doubt he’ll get 39k for it.  Although some part of me hopes he does.  It just means mines worth more to the right buyer lol.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ragedracer1977 said:

Good point.  I admittedly didn’t pay attention to the avionics.  That said, people are asking that around my area for much much worse condition Cs.  Case in point - https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/for/d/mooney-20c-mark-21-aircraft/6555462708.html

i looked at this one today (its at my field).  It’s in pretty good shape, cosmetically, but it’s stuck in 1972.  I doubt he’ll get 39k for it.  Although some part of me hopes he does.  It just means mines worth more to the right buyer lol.  

Wow! I do think values are going up. But that one on craigslist is missing a few things. Is it even IFR certified? Also he lists 165 kts and 8 gph? Maybe in a dive. ;-)

I do like to see the values going up. And as the years go by, the good C's will get rarer and harder to find. So I'd expect the values to go up.

8 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Wow! I do think values are going up. But that one on craigslist is missing a few things. Is it even IFR certified? Also he lists 165 kts and 8 gph? Maybe in a dive. ;-)

I do like to see the values going up. And as the years go by, the good C's will get rarer and harder to find. So I'd expect the values to go up.

Not a chance it’s certified.  It only has a single comm radio.  I don’t think it would be possible to have a more basic panel, and still be legal to fly in the mode c ring.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard KLK...

A few people around here should have them...

One Guy around here might be able to point you in the right direction... see @tomgo2

Often things like this get posted in the downloads section... have a look there...

When you get a chance... update some information for your avatar.  It helps to get to know you a bit better.

Best regards,

-a-

Well...after 60 years of use, there have been only 5 ADs and only 1 that is assigned against the STCs which is related to old hoses. So I would say it is pretty reliable. If you ask those that use it consider it an additional safety device in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2018 at 12:34 AM, gsxrpilot said:

I don't follow closely, but spot checking the classified's, it seems vintage planes are creeping up in price. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, tomgo2 said:

Hello, I'll pilfer through some of the old data. I haven't found much on the tech pubs stuff to date. There is a summary of performance for all RAJAY'd aircraft on my website.

https://rajay.aero/pages/rajay-performance

Tom

Speeds quoted for M20E/F seem inflated. I believe I've seen lower numbers quoted by the owners on Mooney list or here. I hope will see some PIREPS soon.

This is what I could find this morning for the IO-360 (attached power charts).  It doesn't specify a specific airframe so I would not use this as your formal source of information. I do not have the Owners Manual or Approved Flight Manual Supplement so please use this for reference only.

IO-360 Power Charts.pdf

• 3 months later...

Thank you to everyone who commented. The information provided is extremely helpful. Unfortunately, my system is still inop. I have done the following tests;

1.Trap door test with a shop vac-door shuts and builds pressure

2. Oil scavenger pump test-meets the required guidelines

3. Checked for boost by removing the boost hose from the air-box, starting the engine and engaging the waste gate. The turbo was making boost

Seems everything is working as it should but I do not build any boost. Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting this issue? Or, know a shop with Ray Jay Normalizer experience?