Voltage reading high

OR75

Charging voltage started reading high (up to 15.2V - my understand is that it should be in the 13.4 to 14.2V )

any idea why would that happen ? Voltage regulator failing ? Alternator ?

i have an OECO voltage regulator. Not sure they can be adjusted. What replacement options do I have if it came to that ?

77 M20J 

Edited by OR75

11 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Strange, my 77J started doing that too.

It can only be the voltage regulator. The only thing that can make the alternator put out too much current is to have too much field current. No short (outside of the VR) can cause that.

I have two Voltage measurements: the stormscope and the engine monitor (Insight G2)

The engine monitor read about 0.5V higher than the stormscope.

stormscope is around 14.2-14.7 while the EM is in the 14.7-15.2 range

Anyway, don't want to overheat my battery so will be looking at a new VR or tuning the OECO

20 minutes ago, OR75 said:

I have two Voltage measurements: the stormscope and the engine monitor (Insight G2)

The engine monitor read about 0.5V higher than the stormscope.

stormscope is around 14.2-14.7 while the EM is in the 14.7-15.2 range

Anyway, don't want to overheat my battery so will be looking at a new VR or tuning the OECO

Mine just does it intermittently. Usually just after startup. Sometimes trips the overvoltage. Never seen it after that.

It sounds like yours is constantly high. I would verify the reading at the battery with a good VOM before you spend all the money and hassle to change the VR.

17 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

My OEM OECO VR started acting up with similar symptoms about 10 years ago. We replaced it with a Zeftronics VR and all has been well ever since. The cost was minimal but access was a challenge. 

It is real easy if you completely remove the right radio stack. Pull all the radios, unscrew the connectors from the racks and push them out the back. Take the six screws out of the rack and voilà the VR right in front of you!

Edited by N201MKTurbo

It is real easy if you completely remove the right radio stack. Pull all the radios, unscrew the connectors from the racks and push them out the back. Take the six screws out of the rack and voilà the VR right in front of you!

My 78J VR is in the copilot footwell.
OP be sure to check the ground on the VR as well, takes 2 to make a circuit.

33 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

My 78J VR is in the copilot footwell.
OP be sure to check the ground on the VR as well, takes 2 to make a circuit.

So is mine. It is on a shelf with the avionics master relay and ammeter shunt.

It is very difficult to get to from the top or bottom. Removing the radio rack gives compleat and easy access. 

You just have to decide what is a bigger PITA, fighting to get it out without removing the radios, or removing the radios.

Once you figure out how to take the connectors out of the radio racks, it isn't that bad.