EDM-700 programming

Hey,

I just got my EDM 700 back from JPI after repair of the display and adding FF and USB.  I powered it up on the bench to program it and it is only acknowledging 4 cylinders plus the TIT. Does it automatically sense 6 cylinders or do I have to reprogram the number of cylinders? How does one do this as the manual doesn't seem to speak to this.

Is this a hardware thing that I need to send it back for? :(

thanks,

iain

1 minute ago, kortopates said:

Call JPI tech support, I am pretty sure # cyl, FF, Map, RPM etc are all firmware changes and upgrades they charge $ for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just missed them this afternoon.  I expect that they will be paying for this, plus shipping back and forth, as it was a 6 cylinder unit when I sent it to them....clearly their mistake.

iain

I just missed them this afternoon.  I expect that they will be paying for this, plus shipping back and forth, as it was a 6 cylinder unit when I sent it to them....clearly their mistake.

iain

Bummer, ask them for expedited shipping since your AOG!

35 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Bummer, ask them for expedited shipping since your AOG!

You bet I am!  

It does make me question their quality control if such a basic parameter wasn't observed or verified before leaving the repair bench.

iain

I was wondering the same thing - how did they mess that up. I believe they keep a database by serial number of every unit with the last installed firmware version and enabled features/configuration. So just maybe the unit was upgraded before in the past and somebody didn't update their data on your serial number. But I can only speculate. It could be as simple as you suggest too and somebody was in too much of a hurry. 

Hard to say. The option code is for a 6C, as was all of the JPI paperwork, work orders and the stuff that I filled out.

Hopefully they do the right thing and step up to expedite it.

I can still fly it, but feel like it is flying blind with only the OEM TIT and CHT gauges!

Check the model number...

I think my 6 cyl. JPI is a 700-6C, basically a 700 physically set up for six cylinders...

Look here for explanation... check on all of the options for accuracy...

https://www.jpinstruments.com/shop/edm-700/

Looks like Somebody May have dropped the ball when sending out the wrong one...

Best regards,

-a-

The case is exactly the same as when I sent it in, but it now has a properly functioning display, USB cable and fuel flow options added.  And 2 less cylinders displaying!  Same serial number 1976 from 1995!

I think they put the wrong innards put back in there, or got a jumper or software upgrade wrong. I am not sure how they disable/enable the various options.

iain

• Like 1

Iain,

Instead of fixing it, they probably swapped the innards with new...

Sounds like it could be a jumper...

Sounds like a phone call Is going to be needed... unless an MSer knows?

We have an MSer that deals in used JPIs... he knows all the details like that...

Ask @Aerodon... :)

Best regards,

-a-

Iain, don’t give up yet.  It might take three or four power cycles to recognize the 6 cylinders.  And try putting the FF switch in different positions before powering up.  Finally, get into the second level of programming (factory limits), and see if there is a 4/6 cylinder  setting like the EDM800’s.  Aerodon

• Like 2

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

I had to dig into the manual last weekend to re-program the K-Factor. There is definitely a section in the book on programming the number of cylinders.

Only on the 800 can you program the # of cylinders, not the 700. Its in the Pilot Guide.

6 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Only on the 800 can you program the # of cylinders, not the 700. Its in the Pilot Guide.

You are correct, when I was going through the options on the unit it didn't exactly say that on the display, but the manual does:

image.png.b798492f4821aaed1168e76571d9fec3.png

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Oh, I would't count on the manual matching the software / hardware.  The later model EDM700's also had a RPM display, so would need the option to set the number of cylinders to match the mag/rpm setup.  I don't have one on the bench to test right now, but I can assure you that I have seen numerous different setup lists, and sometimes some weird behaviour.  

More than once I have taken the trouble to send documentation 'errors' to JPI to forward to their document control, and yet the errors persist in subsequent prints.

Aerodon.

Ok. Update.

JP I support confirmed it needed to have sensors plugged in for the last two cylinders. They were right.

Got it back in the plane, all six cylinders and tit are back, plus I now have tit2 and CDT showing open sensors, as I don’t have those sponsors and never had them before. No settings to turn these on/off that I have found. Just ignore the warnings I guess.

Serves me right for trying to make ‘good’, ‘better’.

Iain