PROPER CHT'S (CYLINDER HEAD TEMPS)

Do you have any specific evidence to support the claim that "deep" LOP is harming the engine in some way that normal LOP doesn't, or is this the 30+ year A&P experience? 

IIRC, on engines that are approved to run LOP, I don't remember a specific limitation on HOW far LOP.  In fact, the Cirrus SR22T AFM addendum referencing approved LOP operations states that while the FF shows a "target FF" in the 50-75 degF LOP range, it also specifically states "Other than lower cruise power, the only undesirable affect of an overly lean-of-peak setting is engine misfire".

I’ve flown in sub 10°F temps for a number of years. Without a cooler covering plate, I typically don’t see temps below 170° regardless of how cold it is out. Nor do I see CHTs below 290° on those cold flights.

I never had a lead scavenging issue either (although I do lean aggressively on the ground).

I know the folks in Canada are dealing with temps even lower. What say they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Much of the oil temperature is controlled with a vernatherm, that adjusts how much oil actually goes to the oil cooler....

Closing off part of the oil coolers surface area in the winter, causes the minimum amount of oil that is passing through the cooler to be cooled a bit less, than it would be otherwise...

If the oil is running at the bottom of the gauge, it is a good idea to pull the vernatherm for inspection... if it is stuck open there might be something stuck in it...

The vernatherm operates in a similar fashion to car engine’s temperature control valve / regulator... controlling the coolant bypass to or around the radiator... based on the valve opening or closing with temperature.

Note to Nomad... go ahead and add some detail to your avatar or your signature line.   I won’t be able to remember you as well without something to go on...

Some people need to hide their identity, others just do it to not be remembered... the default is just a lonely letter taken from their screen name...  :)

Best regards,

-a-