First time cutting my oil filter. Take a look.

1540 SMOH.  220 SNEW cylinders.  This is all the metal I could find in the filter.  The small little ball appears to be carbon. The rest is ferrous.  Very thin "shavings".  Good? Bad? About what you would expect?

I have no idea, so...

20180417_170317.jpg

Edited by ragedracer1977

The guru for oil filter analysis is Howard Fenton, Fenton Oil  Analysis. 918-492-5844. Blackstone was his baby before he passed it on. He’s always willing to chat ( calm me down) and may have you send some pleats from a suspect filter for particle identification. ( Hopefully not able to read part numbers on them.) 

Doesnt look like your filter findings rise to that level.

The first time we ever changed the oil on our engine, we found a flake or two like that in the pleats.

That was 14 years and about 1000 hours ago. :D

In the interim, we've seen a flake or two like that every once in a while.  Recent changes have been clean.

It is indeed a good idea to pull the pickup screen, especially if you don't know when it was last done.  Don't be surprised if it's full of carbon flakes.  Yes, it's a bit of a pain.  Long-nose pliers and dikes make a big difference in the amount of cussing necessary to get the job done.

2 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

I cut the filter at every oil change and have Nathan r & r the screen at about every other oil change. Always happy to find nothing. (Nathan safety wires screens almost every day and makes it look easy.)

I'm too lazy and cheap to buy an filter cutter and cut mine. :) I just drop by my A&P, who always cheerfully attacks it does it for me in 5 minutes for free.  His hands are already dirty anyway, and he likes helping me because I let the filter drain for a few days or a week.

I got a bunch of tiny "speckles" that would have added up to the size of a pencil point the first couple changes with a remanufactured engine, but those were expected and have since stopped.