Southwest Uncontained Engine Failure

Southwest 1380 experienced a catastrophic engine failure and diverted to Philly this morning. One confirmed passenger fatality. I never heard of a containment ring failure.

Philly starts working the situation around 11 minutes: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kphl/PHL-App-North-Arrival-Apr-17-2018-1500Z.mp3

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I do not think I would sound that calm......I wonder what it would take to actually rattle her cage?  maybe a unleashed dog running around the airport or some touch and go's in a Mooney or perhaps running out of camguard?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just have been a pretty catastrophic failure for the blades to separate and penetrate not only the containment ring but the fuselage and window.

Kudos to the crew for a successful recovery.

Condolences to the family of the fatality.

8 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Unfortunately, not. She died later in the hospital.

I think the original comment about being good was directed at the pilot, not the injured passenger who later died . . . . Cudos to the pilot for staying calm all the way to the firetruck, and for flying so well during all of this.

I watched a news broadcast last night that pointed out another Southwest engine failure in 2016. From the pictures they posted, looked very similar to the one from this flight (including being the left side engine) and also punched a big hole in the plane’s wing. Since SW flies nothing but 737s, I’m guessing there will be a significant examination of their fleet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I just listened to the recordings of the ATC comms between the flight crew and New York Center / Philly Approach / Philly tower.  It is posted to https://soundcloud.com/themorningcall/swa1380-left-engine-failure-april-14th

Pilot talking displayed the best possible attributes of someone facing danger and loss of life.  We should all aspire to be this good in an emergency.  Cool headed.  Focussed on the task at hand. Developing and implementing acceptable options.  Speaking calmly to ATC, who appear to be just itching to give as much help as possible - some of which may not be necessary.  Leadership to inspire others.

Prayers for the lady who passed.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TTaylor said:

Very sad to hear about the loss of a life. I have always been nervous sitting in the seats abeam the engine where the blades would go.  I avoid those seats if I have a choice. 

It's even worse for me when I fly on a turbo prop and you can see the blades spinning right there inline with your head. There is no containment ring. :blink::unsure:

• Like 1

Just now, DaV8or said:

It's even worse for me when I fly on a turbo prop and you can see the blades spinning right there inline with your head. There is no containment ring. :blink::unsure:

I think you and TTaylor need to look at the statistics instead of the turning blades.

1 hour ago, flyboy0681 said:

There was one picture posted where if you look closely it appears that the fan blades are intact.

SW.jpg

From the images I have seen it appears the window that was damaged was actually back about 8 rows behind the engine.  The investigation report will be interesting to understand what happened to the engine and how the damage to the fuselage occurred.

2 hours ago, DaV8or said:

IIRC, there was an accident in Alaska where a prop on an Electra turboprop separated.  By all accounts, it flew forwards, danced around, then came back and sliced a hole in the belly of the fuselage.

Okay, I was trying to make you feel better, but after typing that, I realized I probably made it worse. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ned Gravel said:

Pilot talking displayed the best possible attributes of someone facing danger and loss of life.  We should all aspire to be this good in an emergency.  Cool headed.  Focussed on the task at hand. Developing and implementing acceptable options.  Speaking calmly to ATC, who appear to be just itching to give as much help as possible - some of which may not be necessary.  Leadership to inspire others.

Yes, we listened to that and my wife was in awe at the pilot.  That's someone you'd want as a co-worker anywhere.

I was less impressed with the tower controller.  He was trying to be helpful, but there were eerie similarities to that Cirrus accident in Hobby field.  Both involved tower controllers trying to be excessively helpful who just kept talking and giving continuous information and instructions.  In the Cirrus accident, it was a contributing human factor to the crash.  Fortunately, in this case, the pilot wasn't responding to any of it.