Hangar Space in San Diego

I just found out I will be moving to San Diego in a little over a year for only two years (military move).   While that is fantastic news for the family, unsure about hangar space for the Mooney.  We have just begun our search for a place to live, but I think my two top candidates are around Montgomery (KMYF)  and Gillespie (KSEE) airports.   

The searching I have found so far is that it costs about $500 to get on the waiting list at KMGM, and not sure how much monthly rent is there.  Looks like several companies with offerings at KSEE.  I have found a few very old ads for hangars that were for sale at KSEE... and I wonder if it would be cheaper to buy a hangar and pay a mortgage.  Any advice is welcome, as if I need to get on a waiting list, better to do it sooner than later.

Hangar space becomes available at both airports all the time, but you have to do the leg work to contact the various lease holders to get on their list and keep in touch. At Gillespie you'll get better hangar for the money. I was at Montgomery for over a decade before I moved to Gillespie in order to save $100/month and get a real hangar with concrete floors, full power and lightning and nearby bathrooms versus the T-hangar I had on broken asphalt that allow water to in after rains and very limited power and lightning without any nearby bathrooms. Although Montgomery was more convenient for me, the better hangars at lower cost eventually moved me to SEE.

42 minutes ago, thinwing said:

How about Brown field?

Brown would be an option depending on where we live.  Looking for a drive of 30 mins or less to North Island... and the same to the airport we end up at.  I will definitely take a look at what Brown has to offer.

40 minutes ago, kortopates said:

Hangar space becomes available at both airports all the time, but you have to do the leg work to contact the various lease holders to get on their list and keep in touch. At Gillespie you'll get better hangar for the money. I was at Montgomery for over a decade before I moved to Gillespie in order to save $100/month and get a real hangar with concrete floors, full power and lightning and nearby bathrooms versus the T-hangar I had on broken asphalt that allow water to in after rains and very limited power and lightning without any nearby bathrooms. Although Montgomery was more convenient for me, the better hangars at lower cost eventually moved me to SEE.

That's good info on Gillespie, thank you.  I didn't realize that the hangars in Montgomery were in such bad shape.  Having stayed in a lousy hangar before, I feel your pain.  

Looking online, I found this list... I assume these are the leaseholders you are referring to. 

• Airworld: (858) 735-5525 & (619) 843-3830
  • Circle Air Group: (619) 448-5991
  • Classic: (619) 890-1284
  • El Cajon Flying Service: (619) 448-8000
  • Gillespie Air Center: (619) 448-8000
  • High Performance Aircraft: (858) 576-5000
  • McHone Gillespie Field: (619) 562-2535
  • Mitre Aviation: (619) 993-8284
  • Safari Aviation: (619) 448-2360
  • Sky Harbor: (619) 258-8821
  • Southern Cal Aircraft Repair: (619) 448-5010
  • Westways Aviation: (619) 562-3040

5 minutes ago, jasona900 said:

That's good info on Gillespie, thank you.  I didn't realize that the hangars in Montgomery were in such bad shape.  Having stayed in a lousy hangar before, I feel your pain.  

Looking online, I found this list... I assume these are the leaseholders you are referring to. 

• Airworld: (858) 735-5525 & (619) 843-3830
  • Circle Air Group: (619) 448-5991
  • Classic: (619) 890-1284
  • El Cajon Flying Service: (619) 448-8000
  • Gillespie Air Center: (619) 448-8000
  • High Performance Aircraft: (858) 576-5000
  • McHone Gillespie Field: (619) 562-2535
  • Mitre Aviation: (619) 993-8284
  • Safari Aviation: (619) 448-2360
  • Sky Harbor: (619) 258-8821
  • Southern Cal Aircraft Repair: (619) 448-5010
  • Westways Aviation: (619) 562-3040

I used a red font to indicate those that I knew of that had lots of hangars. I suspect some of the those only have shared large hangar space. Classic has some of the best hangars but you have to buy the hangar and pay rent. I am at Skyharbor which is very nice and affordable.

Just now, kortopates said:

I used a red font to indicate those that I knew of that had lots of hangars. I suspect some of the those only have shared large hangar space. Classic has some of the best hangars but you have to buy the hangar and pay rent. I am at Skyharbor which is very nice and affordable.

Perfect... thank you!!

• 1 year later...

Reviving this thread.... I have made it to San Diego for house hunting!  But the hangar won’t be available until we return mid June.  Right now the plane is on the ramp at Gillespie.. but would like to find a corner in a hangar to stuff it for about a month before we return to Omaha on Sunday.   Anyone have any room?  Will pay my fair share for the space!  

3 hours ago, jaylw314 said:

Having lived in San Diego before, if there is ever a time and place to have a plane stuck out on the ramp for a couple months, I'd pick inland San Diego in the spring and early summer.  ;)

Very true...but given the opportunity, I’d rather keep it hangared.

2 hours ago, jonhop said:

@jasona900, Welcome to San Diego! I asked my contacts at Gillespie with no luck. Hope you find something but @jaylw314 is right, Gillespie in the spring / early summer is not that hostile of an environment, so at least you have that going for you. 

Thank you for asking!  Yes, it is quite the mild climate here.. really looking forward to getting back and exploring California!