MY PLANE KEEPS GETTING FASTER!

So, I just had my IFR inspection (pitot/static) and my avionics guys was like, "Hey dude, your pitot system was leaking like a sieve." 

My IAS was always a head scratcher. In cruise, at 12K-15K, I would never see 120IAS. Ever. 

So, he patches the leaks and I'm seeing 130KIAS. Which of course completely changes all the TAS calculations I've been doing. 

Turns out, all you guys that were questioning my shitty speeds, aka, "You seem to be going really slowly for a TN M20F..." were all spot on. 

Thanks Mooneyspace. 

• Like 3

You can do you own pitot leak check with a few feet of 1/4” surgical rubber tubing, some 3/4” electrical tape and a clothes pin.

Roll the tubing on to the pitot tube, tape over the small drain hole on the bottom of the pitot tube, clip the clothes pin on to the end of the surgical tube.  Slowly roll the tubing around the clothes pin while an assistant watches the ASI, stop at 100-125 KTS.  

Observe a steady indication, dropping IAS is a leak, find and repair as required.  Roll and un roll slowly to avoid damage.  Old Cessna manuals suggest using a pressure bulb from a blood pressure tester.

Clarence

Omg!  I didn’t think of that!

i just got my ifr cert and it failed!  It was leaking and In fact they replaced my ias instrument.  So I was buggered but hey maybe I’ll be going “faster” when I pick her up?  I hadn’t thought of that.

• Like 1

On 4/14/2018 at 12:04 PM, jlunseth said:

Well, wait until you find the switch for the flux capacitor, then see what happens.  You will have to be really nice to the guys on here who know where that is, it just takes awhile for them to get to know you and trust you enough.

I’m not telling!:)

What year is your F (I assume the RayJay TN?  I am routinely at 140ish KIAS in my F.  I just had my G5's installed they also do a pitot static test (fixed a couple minor issues that really did not seem to impact my IAS) and last week's test flights at 70% hp at 3k was around 145 KIAS.  I will be flying more this week to get more numbers and hopefully in a weeks to get to better altitudes to really see the results.

Also, what setting are you running at those altitudes (%hp, LOP/ ROP, MP etc)

Edited by wcb