Prop strike to a dog....

NJMac

On 2018-04-15 at 9:59 PM, chrisk said:

Unless the pilot asks them for ID so they can pay for the $8000 teardown prop strike inspection that their animal caused.

Interesting question.  I was bitten by a dog while cycling in Mississippi a few weeks ago.  I discovered that in that state, owners are responsible if their dogs bite your livestock, but not for attacking humans. Don’t know about aircraft damage.

25 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Interesting question.  I was bitten by a dog while cycling in Mississippi a few weeks ago.  I discovered that in that state, owners are responsible if their dogs bite your livestock, but not for attacking humans. Don’t know about aircraft damage.

My guess is a dog owner would not know either.  Just a strategy to get someone out of your face.

10 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Dogs are a real danger to cyclists.  And cars.  But in particular cyclists when they run out and want to attack you they are just as likely to crash you.  A fellow here crashed going down a hill when an unleashed dog ran out at him and he broke several bones.  I met another fellow a few years ago who had an unleashed dog run out at him in front of his front wheel to attack him and he flipped and broke his neck.  He was several years in rehab but luckily while he was temporarily paralyzed it did not break his spinal cord and he eventually was able to walk again - but never the same as before.

I have been "chased" by dogs on country roads many times - and mind you - paved public roads where there is no sign that I am about to be assaulted and my life endangered.

The danger is no joke.

That Mississippi law is bizarre.

Edited by aviatoreb
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

In the 90's when I still lived back in Texas, I hit a dog on a well traveled FM road. We pulled over, and a local saw us and told us this dog belonged to a woman who had several, and let them roam free and several had been lost to traffic.  With the neighbor's offer to make a statement about the history of neglect, we took the owner to small claims court in that county and won the car repair cost.  It was not our county, so had to drive about 100 miles to get to court, but a principle was at stake! 

Never collected despite a court judgment. The reality of suing a lot of people.  I just hope the judgement on file haunted future applications for credit.

The key thing was the pattern of neglect and several other dogs lost to vehicles.  I don't know if Texas law makes dog owners explicitly responsible, but common sense did, and the judge saw that.  

On 4/15/2018 at 8:54 PM, Jim Peace said:

The first thing an off leash dog owner will do after the prop strike is to blame the pilot....there is absolutely NO doubt about it.....

The second thing that will happen is the off leash owner will go out and do a few touch and go's

Or try and land a long body on a narrow 2200 feet sidewalk posing as a runway.

2 hours ago, Dan at FUL said:

In the 90's when I still lived back in Texas, I hit a dog on a well traveled FM road. We pulled over, and a local saw us and told us this dog belonged to a woman who had several, and let them roam free and several had been lost to traffic.  With the neighbor's offer to make a statement about the history of neglect, we took the owner to small claims court in that county and won the car repair cost.  It was not our county, so had to drive about 100 miles to get to court, but a principle was at stake! 

Never collected despite a court judgment. The reality of suing a lot of people.  I just hope the judgement on file haunted future applications for credit.

The key thing was the pattern of neglect and several other dogs lost to vehicles.  I don't know if Texas law makes dog owners explicitly responsible, but common sense did, and the judge saw that.  

Wow - I can't believe I forgot - but I also hit a dog with my car once - about 10 years ago.  I must have blocked it since now that I remember I am very upset.  It was on the main road but in a rural setting - so a "60mph" road and a reasonable steady traffic as reasonable as it gets for a rural setting.  I was in the minivan with my three then young boys.  The dog was from a small farm immediately to the side of the highway with the house set near the road.  The dog just ran across the road - ..didnt look both ways... just ran across at full sprint continuing the run from the grasses where it had appeared.  I had enough time to slam my breaks on and slow from 60 to maybe 10 or 15 when I hit it.  It sent the dog flying but didn't kill it and I bet the dog lived.  The dog got up and limped home, maybe with a cracked hip or something I don't know. The owner was in front of the house and I apologize profusely to him and he apologized profusely to me. And then off I went. There was no damage to the car.  But wow all 4 of us in the car felt terrible.  That dog should not have been there.  Luckily no one was following me too closely and crashed in to me. Luckily I had my whits about me and didn't swerve into oncoming traffic or a tree trying to avoid the dog which can happen - where people die and the dog never gets hit.

Edited by aviatoreb

If I had a dollar for every time a pet owners animal covered 100 yards, with owner calling for them, to come over and see my dogs I would be a long way toward an engine tear down.  Every owner thinks their dogs are special.  I smile and continue on my way.  I have long sense learned that training an owner with an untrained pet is a waste of vocal cords...about as effective as their calling their dogs to come back.

:(

I've not hit a dog but have come close twice.  The second time I was going about 30 mph downhill on a through road in a residential neighborhood when a small dog burst out of a front yard and darted across the road.  Thank goodness there were no other cars and that I was in my WRX.  I left tire marks in both lanes and couldn't tell if I had hit it.  Someone came running over, and boy he was pissed.  I got ready in case I needed to drive off, but he said I missed the dog by a hair and that he was a neighbor.  He knew the dogs owner and assured me he would read him the riot act.

If I had been in another less maneuverable car, I would have just hit the dog.  I'm not sacrificing myself for an animal.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jaylw314 said:

I've not hit a dog but have come close twice.  The second time I was going about 30 mph downhill on a through road in a residential neighborhood when a small dog burst out of a front yard and darted across the road.  Thank goodness there were no other cars and that I was in my WRX.  I left tire marks in both lanes and couldn't tell if I had hit it.  Someone came running over, and boy he was pissed.  I got ready in case I needed to drive off, but he said I missed the dog by a hair and that he was a neighbor.  He knew the dogs owner and assured me he would read him the riot act.

If I had been in another less maneuverable car, I would have just hit the dog.  I'm not sacrificing myself for an animal.

...nice car.  I also drive a WRX-STI - 2004.  The "light" hit I described was in our old Toyota Sienna.  Yes that was a burning rubber stop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aviatoreb said:

...nice car.  I also drive a WRX-STI - 2004.  The "light" hit I described was in our old Toyota Sienna.  Yes that was a burning rubber stop.

Nice!  I have an 05 STi, I bought it new way back when and it's still going strong!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaylw314 said:

Nice!  I have an 05 STi, I bought it new way back when and it's still going strong!

Nice - I had some of the panels repainted last summer and its looking fantastic.  Plus I work 1.5 miles from home - and a good bit of my long distance "driving" I do by Mooney (or if with the family - by minivan) so it still has "only" 85k miles on it.  I got studded snow tires and it rocks up here in snow country upstate ny.